Long Covid in the media and social media 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Hutan, lycaena and 6 others like this.
  2. rvallee

This is a bizarre article, very revisionist. It glosses over the fact that Mayo is very committed to all those mistakes and routinely treats chronic illness as psychogenic. It's a large organization so has many opinions but most of the claims in here are aspirational, what could be, but mostly the opposite of what patients experience. They talk of not repeating mistakes... they have continued to make.

Lots of chickens routinely sold before they hatch, 2nd generation chickens, that is. It's boom time, after all.

https://mcpress.mayoclinic.org/women-health/a-closer-look-at-long-haul-covid-19/

Amw66, Midnattsol, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish likes this.
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This Australian article warning of Long Covid is in a small, independent publication in my State. I would say it's one of the first LC articles I've seen in local media here.

Oddly, as seems to be par for the course, the journalist has chosen to focus on one of the less debilitating symptoms:

South Australia's experience with LC will be an interesting example to watch. Borders were closed early in the pandemic which meant total Covid infections were initially low (around 1000 people who were mainly in quarantine when they returned from overseas).

After borders were opened in mid December 2021, we have had 335,000 cases in 4 months (total pop. 1.7 million). Over 90% of the population is fully vaccinated and over 99% of infections are Omicron.

The GPs interviewed in the article are clearly exceptions to the norm. People on social media with covid post-viral symptoms are complaining of being dismissed and brushed off by their GPs. To make matters worse, there are very few GPs in Adelaide who have a reputation for taking ME/CFS seriously.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    alktipping, Hutan, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

Podcast JOSPT Insights: Ep 77: Less is more - the mindset shift clinicians need for long COVID, ME and other post-viral illness, with Dr. Todd Davenport

"How prepared are you to support someone who is living with post-exertion symptom exacerbation? Dr Todd Davenport wants to start a conversation about re-imagining the way most of us have thought about fatigue, physical activity and exercise."

ETA: This is the first episode of two with Dr. Todd Davenport. The next will be focusing on pacing.

Copied to this thread:
    JOSPT: Lessons from ME/CFS for Long COVID - 4 part series, 2022, Davenport et al

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022
    Amw66, MEMarge, Sean and 7 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not the biggest fan of Todd, but I thought his interview was very good!

Alternative source: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podca...eed/id1522929437?i=1000557078368/id1522929437

FMMM1, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

This podcast episode has received some criticism on Twitter for not mentioning ME even once. I believe this twitter thread is a response to that criticism:

9. rvallee

It's good that they're sounding the alarm about the horse possibly bolting out of the stable. But the horse has already smashed a hospital, taken a school hostage and is doing more mayhem that's all over social media already.

But it's nice that they're sounding the alarm, having dismissed people screaming about this every step the horse took, with live footage of the hospital being destroyed long ago.

It's really good that we have experts who can look back at a problem people were screaming about and think: "uh, hey we can't let that horse loose" and start looking intently at the stable for its exit. But of course it has already bolted years ago, so they can't be sure when it will ever come out.

Amw66, Missense, Midnattsol and 5 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I just heard on Radio National - Radio New Zealand - this morning, a replay of an interview with one of the members of New Zealand's national rugby team. These players are arguably the highest profile athletes in NZ. The interviewer asked 'so, you must be more worried about Long Covid than Covid?' and the athlete agreed.

He went on to say that they have very rigorous protocols to deal with members of the team who get Covid-19. He said that it's very similar to how people with concussion are dealt with, a very gradual return to training with monitoring for set backs. He said that they start with a walk and see what effect that has.

The impression I was left with was that the potential for Long Covid was being taken very seriously, and the underlying assumption in trying to prevent it is that a return to full training shouldn't be rushed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  11. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-in-feces-offers-clues-to-long-covid-cause

ETA The study mentioned in the article
    https://www.cell.com/med/fulltext/S2666-6340(22)00167-2

Mod note: We now have a thread for the study, here:
    Gastrointestinal symptoms and fecal shedding of SARS-CoV-2 RNA suggest prolonged gastrointestinal infection, 2022, Natarajan et al

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2022
    Sean, Hutan, Kalliope and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kalliope

This podcast is almost two weeks old, but a good interview with Long Covid researcher Ziyad Al-Aly. Both him and the journalist Faye Flam mention ME several times and that the pandemic is an opportunity to learn more about post viral illness in general.

at 11.50:
    - We as a society for the past hundred years decided for whatever reason to sweep post viral illness under the rug, and not really devote a lot of attention to it, not devote science to it, not devote brain power to it. I think the silver lining here is that now the pandemic force this on our plate.

Follow the Science with Faye Flem - 65. Science vs. Long Covid w/Ziyad Al-Aly

Amw66, MEMarge, Sean and 6 others like this.
  13. Kalliope

Great 7 minute video from Science on Long Covid. Includes interviews with Akiko Iwasaki and Putrino (he talks among other about autonomic rehabilitation).

Avindra Nath talks about a clinical trial on immune modulating drugs.
    One arm will get placebo, one arm intravenous immunoglobulin, one arm intravenous steroids (didn't catch the full name). Calls them sledge hammer approaches.

Towards the end Avindra Nath says we have millions of people suffering from similar disease, post lyme syndrome, gulf war syndrome, ME/CFS. Patients are going to all sorts of physicians and being told it's pyschological, but they have real disease.

https://www.science.org/content/article/here-s-what-we-know-about-covid-19-s-impact-brain

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Fizzlou, Ariel, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  14. John Mac

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/16/vaccines-long-covid-science

Ariel, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  15. rvallee

Apparently, the CDC has closed up shop when it comes to answering questions from journalists. There was also a mention from a prominent LC advocate saying that the CDC is keeping quiet about LC because it's politically inconvenient to admit that the pandemic isn't over. This is blatant political interference in public health. Not that this is new but still, it explains a lot.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1515096706429472783

16. rvallee

Ariel, Hutan, tmrw and 1 other person like this.
  17. John Mac

Long Covid and ME on BBC Radio 4 now

ETA It was two people having a conversation on their illness, one with long COVID and on with ME. It was part of a programme called the listening project which features two members of the public speaking to each other on various subjects.
    The two ME/long COVID people mentioned how it affected them in their daily lives and their trouble trying to get people to accept the illness is real.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    mango, Ariel, Sean and 11 others like this.
  18. rvallee

As we know, Olympic and professional athletes, famous for:
    1. Being lazy
    2. Lacking self-efficacy and motivation
    3. Having crippling fears of: activity, standing, success
    4. Being women (hey at least they got that part half right)
    5. Giving up easily
    6. Catastrophizing about normal bodily senses, especially following exercise
    7. [Insert other biopsychosocial tropes]
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1515139579955007489

https://twitter.com/user/status/1515703351484325891

The biopsychosocial model of illness is truly like putting a mirror to real life. You know, those mirrors that completely distort the image, like at some circuses and fairs? Or maybe one of those mirrors.

mango, lycaena, rainy and 17 others like this.
  19. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just listened to this. Overall, I thought it was encouraging. But "post Lyme syndrome" suggests to me the kids he plays with, and I thought it concerning, since, you know, there is no such thing, and I would imagine someone of his stature would know this.

Of course, it could have simply been a lapse, a silly sloppiness, and not a political slip.

Kalliope likes this.
  20. rvallee

The continued denial and misrepresentation of Long Covid is just another chapter in a long line of suffering and neglect, and it looks just the same. The same suffering, the same patterns, the same disrespect.

Thread with many replies from pwLC (and some pwME) of where they are, of what the reality of abandoning millions of chronically ill people means in real life:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1514528022585659395

Ariel, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.