Long Covid in the media and social media 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan, leokitten, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-61338227

Hutan, MEMarge, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/long-covid-symptoms-omicron-uk-cases-b2072944.html

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    Hutan, MEMarge, Mij and 6 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Can long COVID shift attitudes towards chronic fatigue?

"‘What if I never get better?’

This thought must have passed through the fevered minds of many who have caught COVID-19, including the 3 million people in the latest UK weekly estimates. For an unlucky proportion, COVID-19 is developing into chronic symptoms that include fatigue.

The reality of ‘long COVID’ emerged when some people continued to suffer complications and symptoms for weeks, then months, now turning into years. As the majority recover and move on, health, research and wider societal policies must respond humanely to their needs – and those of hundreds of thousands also suffering from long-term fatigue known as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)."

https://www.healthpolicypartnership.com/can-long-covid-shift-attitudes-to-chronic-fatigue/

Author on Twitter.

Hutan, EzzieD, Snow Leopard and 8 others like this.
  5. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh, reading this makes me feel so sad. I’m sorry there’s a paywall so I pasted the text here, but you don’t see all the article photos. I’m just so tired of seeing stuff like this so much reinventing the wheel, so much thinking this is new when it’s not, no saying same as ME/CFS when the symptoms are the EXACT SAME as what these people are experiencing.

San Francisco Chronicle: Millions of people suffer from long COVID. Why is there still no treatment?
    Edited because of copyright.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Hutan, EzzieD, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just watched the CBC (Canada) news this morning and PHAC (Public Health Agency of Canada) are studying how many Canadians have long-Covid. They've stated that there are over 100 symptoms, 'mostly fatigue, anxiety and PTSD".

I can see where this is going.

Hutan, EzzieD, Helene and 9 others like this.
  7. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh no, that looks pretty bad. CBC is reporting:

The most common [symptoms], according to PHAC, are fatigue, memory problems, anxiety, depression and even post-traumatic stress disorder.​

and

"Long COVID symptoms can be quite broad and non-specific, and so depending on the questions and the questionnaire, you might elicit different answers," Tam said.
    We might be able to guess which kinds of answers they'll be eliciting.

Hutan, EzzieD, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, Sean, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Meanwhile in Spain where long Covid was focus of a recent discussion at an International Congress of the Spanish Society of Precision Health:

Medscape COVID-19 Infection Has More Than 50 Long-Term Effects

"Unfortunately, we are not taught or used to prescribing exercise. Based on all this evidence, it is obvious that it should be incorporated into the prevention of and approach toward not only COVID-19 and post-COVID-19, but in general, for the care of cardiovascular and metabolic health, both to prevent diseases and as an adjuvant in many pathologies."

Regarding what type of activity is most recommended in these patients, Martínez pointed out that "there is sufficient evidence to suggest that adapted and supervised training with aerobic and strength endurance exercises can be an effective multisystemic therapy for post-COVID-19 syndrome."

In this sense, Martínez stressed the need to value the importance of strength training. "Although a good part of the population practices aerobic activity, the percentage drops when it comes to strength routines, especially among women, since they associate it with the risk of excessive bodybuilding. In the case of post-COVID-19, this training is essential, since one of the most worrying signs of this syndrome is the loss of muscle mass.

"A little more research is required in this field, but without a doubt, it is a perfect tool to counteract and manage the multiple signs and symptoms that persist after having suffered from COVID-19," Martínez concluded.

Hutan, Sean, hibiscuswahine and 2 others like this.
  10. Trish

:banghead:

Wonko, Hutan, mango and 9 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Literally the whole point of experts is that they don't get fooled by stuff like this and can pay attention to details. This is pathetic. The whole profession needs a complete reset, none of this is normal.

Lou B Lou, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Imagine telling a cardiologist and pulmonologist that you're still suffering from a litany of symptoms, including exhaustion, shortness of breath, headaches, joint pain et and they both rule out other health problems and advise exercising, suggesting that some symptoms may have been a result of being out of shape.

I've seen this mentioned several times on Twitter from pwLC.

13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So he thinks LongCOVID is due to people choosing not to lift weights? This guy is obviously clueless about exercise physiology.

FMMM1, Hutan, Lou B Lou and 14 others like this.
  14. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This happened to me after worsening to severe following Covid. Cardio recommended intense physio... The rehab team called me and said no way are we putting someone with LC through this.

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Dr Asad Khan on Twitter
    "V potent & simple exercises to reduce sympathetic overdrive. Instant relief. (Do not do on a full stomach). You do not have to have anxiety to benefit from these vagus nerve activating manoeuvres. #LongCovid #MECFS #Lyme #POTS #Fibromyalgia #MCAS #HSD #EDS"

Hutan and Ariel like this.
  16. Trish

I have just watched the video. It's just a set of 3 simple stretching exercises for the neck and back with the aim of easing muscle tension that tends to come with anxiety. I have no idea whether the stuff about the vagus nerve and brain rewiring means anything in this context. I rather suspect it's a lot of blah.

lycaena, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  17. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Instant relief from what???

MEMarge, MSEsperanza, mango and 7 others like this.
  18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Elephants probably.

At least when something was unspecified in work, my o level maths teachers response was to assume people were referring to elephants

19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

One thing I take away from that twitter thread is that filtering blood to remove microclots didn't fix Dr Asad Khan's Long Covid.

20. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also noted from a pic from another tweet, (sorry now can’t find it) that he had a wire that appeared to be attached to his ear (the tagus), the placement for vagus nerve stimulation which fits with all the Polyvagal Theory promoted in one of Gez Medinger’s YouTube with Dr Riggs.

I suppose the next stop on the “road to recovery” will be neurofeedback because apparently this can rewire the brain too.:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.