Maeve Boothby O'Neill - articles about her life, death and inquest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by dave30th, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"might" ???

How did this not internally trigger a major overhaul by the Trust of their handling of ME/CFS cases?
    Just sickening. But sadly not in the slightest bit surprising.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    Ash, RainbowCloud, Lilas and 18 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Dr Weir’s Letters on Treatment of Maeve Boothby O’Neill

William Weir is an infectious disease physician in London who has treated many ME/CFS patients. He has been involved in some of the ongoing cases in England in which severely ill teenage girls and young women, and their families, have been in conflict with their local hospitals about the best approach to treatment. In general, hospital consultants and other health care providers have bought into the standard propaganda that ME/CFS patients need either cognitive behavior therapy or graded exercise therapy, most recently expressed in a weekend opinion piece from a prominent member of the CBT/GET ideological brigades. (I responded to that opinion piece here.)

Dr Weir testified last week at the ongoing inquest into the death of Maeve Boothby O’Neill, being held in Exeter, England. He read into evidence two letters that he wrote to express his concerns about the case. The first, dated May 25th, 2021, was addressed to Julia Prague, a consultant endocrinologist at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, where Maeve was hospitalized three times in the months before she died in October, 2021. The second, dated September 9th, 2021, was addressed to Suzanne Tracey, the former CEO of the Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.

Because they were read into evidence, both letters can be posted publicly–as I have done below.

https://virology.ws/2024/07/31/tria...-regarding-treatment-of-maeve-boothby-oneill/

4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Fox not off to a good start. When asked (albiet badly) by the Coroner if he thought ME was real he replied with the standard blurb about all illnesses having a psychological and social component.

5. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inquest now on a five-minute break after the testimony of Dr Fox; will be hearing Beth Thompson next. Also apparently a statement has been received from Dr Shenton (Maeve's GP). Lots of audio/technical problems today. Fox gave a very biopsychosocial explanation of ME and also gave a very unconvincing, backtracking explanation of his "feel it is functional" comment in the notes. Will write up a summary later if there is interest.

ETA: Inquest has resumed with the testimony of Beth Thompson (RD&E), who was at the relevant time the dietician team lead.

RainbowCloud, Sean, Ash and 24 others like this.
  6. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Coroner says a statement from Dr Shenton has been sent to everyone. More may be coming.

Beth Thompson needs to be heard before 1pm

IMG_2909.jpeg

Sean, hibiscuswahine, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  7. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes there is interest, if you are up to it. thanks for all your summaries.

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You're doing a fantastic job, Nightsong. I'm sorry we don't seem to have anyone else well enough to provide such detailed summaries. I thought about signing up to listen, but know I'm not up to writing notes while listening.
    Please only provide feedback at your own pace and if you feel it's not harming your health.

Sarah, RainbowCloud, Sean and 22 others like this.
  9. Lou B Lou

Who is the woman giving evidence right now?

Beth Thomson dietician at RD&E being questioned by coroner now;

Sean, Ash, Missense and 7 others like this.
  10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any news on what is happening?

I have read that Dr Shenton's statement is being emailed to everyone but now cannot find the notice. Does this include those watching by video link? I registered for this so they have my email. Anyone know?
    I haven't been able to watch/listen this morning and door was locked when I tried about 10 minutes ago.

edit: I see @Mr Magoo has posted that Dr Shenton's statement has been sent to everyone. Thanks. Does this include those online?

Sean, Missense, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  11. MrMagoo

It will be to those who have bundles/evidence I’d say. So the legal reps, Sarah, Sean

Sean, Ash, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  12. MrMagoo

I’ll take a look at the twitterverse, Dr Fox wasn’t an easy one to follow, not easy to pull out anything useful.

Sean, Ash, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  13. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We may have hit the crux of incompetence, inflexibility and disbelief? Beth Thompson.

'I appreciate with hindsight..

Best practise ...

Functioning gut

Will try to sit up to 45 degrees

Not aware of vomiting

Buying onto their belief it is a medical

I need to have a Consultant come in and agree a pathway

...needs to be treated as one of the eating disorder patients

Not only affects physical health but psychological health'

14. MrMagoo

Maeve expressed she would only start NG if there was a plan for if she crashed
    Beth reads from her notes “ lack of nutrition making her more tired
    IMG_2910.jpeg

Sean, Ash, hibiscuswahine and 10 others like this.
  15. Lou B Lou

We've just got to get rid of that word "Tired". It's being repeated in the Inquest. "Tired" is the most trivialising word, it leads the general public and some/most medical/health professionals to think that ME 'tiredness' is something they may have experienced, or something close to it. Because of the word. Everyone has experienced tiredness. That word is sabotaging us

16. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely.

Sean, hibiscuswahine, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  17. MrMagoo

we’re around June or July 21 edit - 3rd admission, July or Aug?
    Maeve requested backup plan TPN, recommended against by Beth Thompson (T)

Attached Files:

Sean, hibiscuswahine, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  18. MrMagoo

I’ve seen a tweet about the time leading up to NG tube, that Maeve had to sit up 3x30 mins in the days/week before it. Can’t find tweet yet. edit - see below

There’s a lot of detail in Beth Thompson evidence, dates, feeding amounts, discussions. Also comments that she’s reading her notes out really fast, and again there’s been sound and IT problems.

IMG_2913.jpeg

Sean, hibiscuswahine, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  19. MrMagoo

IMG_2912.jpeg
    2 July NG didn’t seem appropriate
    5 July S (Sarah? Strain?) was not hospitable to Maeve request for hospice. Beth T does not NG at hospice

20. MrMagoo

NG was tried as something had to change, weren’t meeting Maeves needs.

Agreed on 9 June and fitted on 16 June

Beth Thompson - with hindsight knowing things had to be paced it was unrealistic to think it would happen quickly

IMG_2914.jpeg