Maeve Boothby O'Neill - articles about her life, death and inquest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by dave30th, Jan 27, 2023.

1. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it 10am tomorrow? Apparently you can use the same teams link to attend, if you attended the inquest

Kitty, MeSci, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can’t read the comments section not having a Times subscription. But…

Its occurs to me that the types- medical professionals, researchers, psychologists, life coaches, members of the public, whoever, who’ve fashioned their identity based upon their ability to be a ‘good’ cop, spy, bouncer, bully, to maintain the purity of the society, no ‘abnormalities’ or ‘inconsistent presentations’ here, ‘no troubled people’ no ‘mental illness’ allowed over here, just me and my pals, hoarding all the healthcare for ourselves and other ‘normals’- are only going to get more and more and more nasty.

What else can they do?

Everyone is off sick with Covid and their papers are telling them that’s a failure of people who allow themselves to think that they’re sick. You’re barely even allowed to be acutely sick now, for these enforcers are roaming around the ruins of our society, they are managers everywhere.

They could admit that bullying people into work and health has been a bit of a failure. But they won’t.

Either they know that they need to get the boot in while they can, before public opinion turns for whatever reason or perhaps they are worried that a changed perception of us necessarily brings a changed perception of them. They may be seen as mean petty tyrants which they may or may not mind, but that they will also appear foolish and easily led, that they will. They must maintain past behaviour, but harder. For perhaps they think that by keeping up the front they might hold off change, forever.

Also being realistic medicine will just do this again to people without ME. So let’s get an agreement that fewer people would die if you believe that people who say they are physically sick almost certainly are. Also that if you’re not treating ‘mentally ill’ people like dirt, you remove the possibility of people trying pick up their symptoms and flee from your treatment into another category, which seems a big fear of medical professionals looming very large in their imaginations, and that doesn’t reflect well on them tbh.

Every doctor who leaves an unsupportive comment beneath articles on Maeve or anyone else’s death needs one upstanding person who knows them professionally of equal or higher status to have a patient but insistent word with them about their inappropriate behaviour.

Right now I feel glad that Maeve’s story is tearing at the seams.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2024
  3. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was 14:00

4. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This comment has now been deleted.

“This comment violated our policy.”

IMG_2668.jpeg

Times subscribers can report any comments that they believe violate the newspaper’s policy.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    Wits_End, RedFox, Kitty and 20 others like this.
  5. Ash

Good riddance to that one. Only another….

Wits_End, Kitty, rvallee and 10 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Robert 1973
    Thank you for posting that the first comment originally posted under this article has been deleted. (See below for comment in question). It very quickly gained 4/5 likes, almost as if people were waiting for comments of this sort.
    I am actually surprised it has been erased, very glad but surprised because I think the views expressed there have been pretty mainstream about ME until very recently. Now they are not acceptable, to the Times at least. One step forward perhaps.

"The Times is running a deplorable campaign of misinformation about so-called ME/CFS. There is no evidence this "disease" has any physiological or biological origin. Deeply troubled individuals latch on to this mythical diagnosis and your relentless campaign to have it taken seriously will only encourage more people to frame their mental health issues with this invented narrative. Just because one of your staff members has had a terrible tragedy in his life does not mean you have the right to mislead and gaslight thousands of other people."

Kitty, Missense, rainy and 15 others like this.
  7. MrMagoo

I’m really not sure and couldn’t find the info

Kitty, Ash and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. MrMagoo

DARVOin action, now we’re gaslighting people? By having symptoms which we actually have? Troll.

RedFox, Kitty, Missense and 8 others like this.
  9. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, Walitt and Nath's unevidenced, hyper-ridiculous pseudo-theorising is now Actually Undermining Realistic Assessment of the death of a woman with ME in the NHS!!

Walitt has a hell of a lot to answer for. And so does everyone who let him loose.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
    Louie41, Lilas, Kitty and 21 others like this.
  10. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt, Yann04 and MrMagoo like this.
  11. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it is 14:00 Friday 9 August, per Sarah Boothby’s tweet

https://twitter.com/user/status/1819678810066895345

“…GP Surgery and both divorced parents). HMC is taking time to reflect on the evidence and refer to relevant inquest law before concluding. Conclusion will be read into the public record at *Devon Coroner's Court 14:00 BST Friday 9 August 2024*.
    2/4”

use the same link as listening to the inquest.

Kitty, MeSci, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  12. MrMagoo

Thank you

13. MrMagoo

[deleted due to error]

Dr Weir is being interviewed for Channel 4 news after the verdict
    IMG_2988.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    Kitty, Ash, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  14. Binkie4

The coroner will give her conclusions at 2pm tomorrow ( same link as before) but I think I read somewhere that Dr Helmsley would speak tomorrow morning at 10am. Do we have a link to that?

RedFox, Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  15. MrMagoo

Dr Helmsley is 27 September

Kitty, EzzieD, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  16. Binkie4

Thanks @MrMagoo .

Kitty, EzzieD, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Whitney Dafoe and Naomi Whittington Reflect on Severe ME and the Inquest into the Death of Maeve Boothby O’Neill

"On Friday, August 9th (tomorrow), Deborah Archer, the coroner who presided over the inquest into the death of Maeve Boothby O’Neill, will issue her findings of fact. Following that, she has tentatively scheduled another day of testimony on September 27th. The testimony during the two-week inquest, held in Exeter, England, UK, revealed starkly that the National Health Service consultants at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital had little or no idea what was wrong with Maeve and how to address it. The hope is that Archer will issue a set of tough recommendations to help ensure that such situations no longer occur.

The press coverage was extensive and largely sympathetic. ME Research UK has compiled a helpful compendium of quotes from the nine days of testimony and links to coverage in The Times, The Guardian, BBC, and many other news outlets, with highlights from the first week presented here and the second week here. Some patients have also commented on the events in moving posts of their own."

https://virology.ws/2024/08/08/tria...quest-into-the-death-of-maeve-boothby-oneill/

Sean, Kitty, RainbowCloud and 22 others like this.
  18. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I spoke with both Bob's sisters and his Mum, following the funeral and we exchanged a few emails.
    I was keen to share what he had gone through with the DHSC and sent a couple of emails to Vicky to ask if they would like to send in an outline of what he had gone through.

I did not hear back, but was able to share a summary, from what he said on here with some info from chats with graham as well.

19. Ash

Just as we are most of us too sick to fight for ourselves, for most of the time, most bereaved families will be too traumatised by having cared for and lost a loved one under such circumstances to continue any further engagement.

I am scared for parents who do. Will their physical and psychic selves survive such an ordeal.

I’m grateful anyone will put themselves through this.

Nervous. Nearly 2pm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2024
    Sean, Deanne NZ, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  20. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)