neophyte32
Senior Member (Voting Rights)
I am a layperson when it comes to science, but it seems obvious to me that a tissue biobank built from samples collected from ME/CFS patients after euthanasia is more than necessary.
I even have the feeling that some of the answers may come from there. For a disease that is so difficult to investigate in living patients, being able to directly study different tissues (especially from severe and very severe patients) seems absolutely essential to me.
On the other hand, I am surprised, and a little disappointed, to see that Blog ME/CFS appears to be calling for a replication of DecodEM. I fully understand the need to confirm scientific findings, but a full replication could mean another three, perhaps even five years.
Is it really necessary to wait for a complete replication before making use of the leads already emerging from DecodEM and launching complementary studies?
I also do not know exactly when the samples used in DecodEM were collected, but since then some patients have probably had one or more additional Covid infections, which makes comparisons even more complicated.
I even have the feeling that some of the answers may come from there. For a disease that is so difficult to investigate in living patients, being able to directly study different tissues (especially from severe and very severe patients) seems absolutely essential to me.
On the other hand, I am surprised, and a little disappointed, to see that Blog ME/CFS appears to be calling for a replication of DecodEM. I fully understand the need to confirm scientific findings, but a full replication could mean another three, perhaps even five years.
Is it really necessary to wait for a complete replication before making use of the leads already emerging from DecodEM and launching complementary studies?
I also do not know exactly when the samples used in DecodEM were collected, but since then some patients have probably had one or more additional Covid infections, which makes comparisons even more complicated.