1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME/CFS and the biopsychosocial model: a review of patient harm and distress in the medical encounter - Geraghty et al. 2018

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Cheshire, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

MEMarge, Inara, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  2. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those oaths are highly distressing. I have seen the worst in humanity in doctors.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"I will respect, support and give gratitude to my teachers, colleagues and all those who sustain the NHS."

Translates as "Whistleblowing will not be tolerated".

MEMarge, Barry, Inara and 12 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't like people being asked to commit to respecting their seniors. Respect has to be earned. There's a difference between behaving politely, which is a good thing, and agreeing with everything they say or do which is not always a good thing. I agree, @chrisb, that whole sentence is problematic. Is that why no-one who has ever worked with or been taught by Wessely seems capable of disagreeing with him?

MEMarge, Barry, Arnie Pye and 12 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Anyone know if this is a normal salary for such a position, or does BPS pay better?

Inara, Lidia and Trish like this.
  6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Germany someone who earned that amount would belong to the top 10% incomes.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think that would be true in the UK too.

MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I so very much agree with this! "Respect", in the English language at least conflates two quite different things I always believe: 1) Respect for a person's basic human rights, which I always believe in, though in some cases do have to work hard at, and 2) Respect for a persons behaviours, and how they treat others, which I accept no instruction to blindly accept.

Many people deliberately conflate these two I think, accusing people of not doing '1', when the person is in fact not doing '2'.

Getting a bit more senior in no way makes people magically worthy of "Type 2" respect in my experience, if they've been not been worthy of it previously.

My view is: Favours are returned, trust is earned.

Type 2 respect and trust are often closely related I think.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Andy, Hutan, Inara and 4 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

when they say respect what they want is deference which really means submission

MEMarge, Barry, Andy and 5 others like this.
  10. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This could be useful to submit to Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review if they look at treatments as well as medicines and devices- after all, it is a "procedure"?

Suggestion, explore the Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review body?

They could initiate a “Call for Evidence” process once a risk or suggestion of harm (ie from GET for ME) is registered with this Independent organisation ..... ?????

Perhaps formally Forward ME, MEA and you plus others could flag this up with them?

Then, ….......

" Review could be assisted by hearing from anyone affected by any of the interventions, whether their experiences were positive, negative, or mixed."... Suggest that they are approached regarding the claims of harm from GET evidenced by patient feedback, from surveys or individual testimonies?
    With children, the enforcement of GET after Safeguarding procedures have been actioned and against parental wish – and no informed consent by child.

Review Member and Communications Lead: Simon Whale took Bristol to task . “He provided the communications and engagement support for the independent Review of Children’s Cardiac Services at Bristol, which was triggered by the concerns of a number of families whose children had died at the hospital.”

andypants and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  12. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, just like the leaders of gangs insisting they must have respect from the gang members. If they don't get the respect they think they deserve then the outcome is often violent. The only difference appears to be the form the violence takes - job loss, being blacklisted etc will have lifelong consequences for many academics.

andypants, NelliePledge and TiredSam like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)