1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MEAction: Join Our Values and Policy Initiative! September 2019

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could it be helpful to refer to the Declaration of Helsinki, last paragraph?

Unproven Interventions in Clinical Practice

37. In the treatment of an individual patient, where proven interventions do not exist or other known interventions have been ineffective, the physician, after seeking expert advice, with informed consent from the patient or a legally authorised representative, may use an unproven intervention if in the physician’s judgement it offers hope of saving life, re-establishing health or alleviating suffering. This intervention should subsequently be made the object of research, designed to evaluate its safety and efficacy.

In all cases, new information must be recorded and, where appropriate, made publicly available.
    [My bolding]

https://www.wma.net/policies-post/w...or-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/

Once again, apologies for skipping most of the thread and just popping in.
    Thank you @Michiel Tack for working on this and thank you to all who contributed.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ChloeC, alktipping and rvallee like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.meaction.net/2019/09/29...and-respect-are-essential-to-the-me-movement/

Binkie4, mango, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

Interesting ME Action interview with Wilhelmina Jenkins about ethnicity and the undiagnosed:
    https://www.meaction.net/2019/10/14...a-more-inclusive-movement-and-why-it-matters/

Powerful quote:

MEMarge, Sarah94, ChloeC and 11 others like this.
  5. Wilhelmina Jenkins

Wilhelmina Jenkins Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @Michiel Tack! I know that most people in this thread are not from the US and that it’s difficult to picture the extent to which race and ethnicity dominate every aspect of the US medical system. I would be happy to address any questions that you have.

MEMarge, ChloeC, ahimsa and 8 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think that is right. 'Clinical experts' do not come into it, only evidence. I am not sure what 'best practice' means other than practice based on reliable evidence in this context.

Experts may be useful in pointing out potential flaws in what looks like reliable evidence but that is about all. The whole point of EBM is to abandon the notion of practice based on 'expert consensus' as it used to be in the 1970s.

7. ME/CFS Skeptic

This is from the GRADE handbook:
    Link: https://gdt.gradepro.org/app/handbook/handbook.html#h.3183vuv3ey12

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have come to think of the GRADE handbook as inexpert opinion!

Annamaria and Trish like this.
  9. ChloeC

ChloeC Established Member

I think legal action could be a very valuable component of ME activism in general and of the current #MEAction #NotEnough4ME campaign specifically. Even if an action (eg filing a complaint with an oversight body) is unlikely to "succeed" in terms of a ruling that forces the changes we want, it still exerts pressure on the target entity to do what we want just to avoid getting caught up in time-draining and money-sucking legal or oversight activity.

@Samuel, you seem passionate about this approach and well-versed in (at least some elements of) international law governing health-related human rights, which would figure into any such legal filings. Would you be interested in taking the lead on starting such an #MEAction initiative, as part of the NIH #NotEnough4ME campaign or as a stand-alone project? I bet there are other people in the ME community who would be interested in helping out with such an initiative, including the lawyers among us.

I'm interested myself and would love to be involved, though my plate is currently full with helping get other elements of the NIH campaign up and running. I would be happy, though, to chat now about potential options for a legal action.

I strongly encourage you to contact Ben HsuBorger, the #MEAction Community and Campaigns Director, who is coordinating the campaign and currently seeking ideas from the community as well as people who'd like to get involved in helping shape the campaign. He can most likely connect you to other volunteers who are interested in this kind of approach or have the legal skillset to work on it, and support you in getting a group effort off the ground. You can email him at ben@meaction.net or set up an individual phone call with him from the MEAction website. Even if you don't think you have the capacity to do much on this front, I think it's still worth connecting with Ben about it. You can tell him Claudia (my real name) suggested you reach out to him. :)

Andy and Samuel like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from an email
    Researchers and clinicians weigh in on diagnostic criteria

alktipping, Esther12, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Training opportunity to join our UK and Scotland social media teams

full details here
    https://www.meaction.net/2020/09/03...ia-teams/?mc_cid=92117f4818&mc_eid=c1fdea04b1

Amw66, Simon M, Yessica and 5 others like this.
  12. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why on earth did they call themselves MEAction when it's so easily confused with ActionForME (who are alleged to support the PACE trial and the BPS view of ME)?

alktipping likes this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

MEAction is based in the USA with groups in other countries. I guess they may not have been aware of Action for ME which is only in the UK.

Action for ME used to support PACE and the BPS view of ME. They don't now.

alktipping, rvallee, Barry and 3 others like this.