1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe: Mind, Medicine and Morals: A Tale of Two Illnesses (2019) BMJ blog - and published responses

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Estherbot, May 29, 2019.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting wording.

Is there any other group of doctors that would say "patients with these particular features are of increasing interest to us"?

Perhaps cosmetic surgeons?

ukxmrv, oldtimer, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps the situation around 1990, when the internal markets within the NHS were being developed, needs to be viewed purely in terms of economics. Faced with an oversupply of psychiatrists the options were either to deal with a reduction in value or to expand the market.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Motive.
    Means.
    Opportunity.

And, call me old fashioned, but I thought you needed an effective treatment first, before you could do any bean counting on it?

rainy, Webdog, ScottTriGuy and 12 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"Thus on both sides of the Atlantic clinicians are looking for research findings to support their case."

Does it really need to be pointed out that this is the complete opposite of science? Anti-science.

As exemplified by their refusal to use objective measures because they don't give positive results. They are deliberately and systematically constructing an unfalsifiable model.

It is straight scientific fraud, IMHO. And very cruel.

5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

OMG, @Michiel Tack, this is indeed an extraordinary find. It really explains why so much hangs on this for them.

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not remember the source but I have a recollection of reading that in the shake-up of the NHS in about 1990, there was a proposal to close the Maudsley and merge its operations with Kings. There was, as one would expect, substantial, and ultimately successful, fightback. Clearly that must have involved detailed, high level, negotiations, strategic plans, cost/benefit analyses, agreements and collateral agreements as to the basis for long term funding and service provision. We know nothing of any of this.

I have thought, for a long time, that Wessely and Sharpe et al are merely a symptom of the problem and that we may never know what went on "behind the curtain", just as we will probably never know the details of how Peter Lilley came to introduce LoCascio and UNUM into the DSS.

I know. I'm a conspiracy theorist. So be it.

ukxmrv, NelliePledge, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is not conspiracy theory to believe that a lot of things go on behind the scenes and are never publicised.

Before my eyes went wonky I read the BBC History Magazine. It was amazing how many things that were headlined in the papers of the time as lies and malicious rumour turned out to be true when secrets were revealed years later. Things like Harold Wilson being watched by special branch, all strongly denied at the time.

8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Steve Lubet of Northwestern University and i wrote a response to Sharpe/Greco. It has been through two rounds of peer review and was finally accepted for publication yesterday. It should be out within 3-4 weeks.

Forestvon, Simone, Michelle and 44 others like this.
  9. large donner

large donner Guest

I basically agree with you but would like to put it another way..

It is a conspiracy theory to believe or show evidence that things go on behind the scenes. That's the very definition of people gathering evidence together of some other parties conspiring.

People conspire that's a fact.

What's happened is that the term conspiracy theory has deliberately been given a negative connotation so that often the person forming, even an evidence based, theory can be ad homed in an attempt to detract others from their content.

The police form conspiracy theories everyday as part of their normal work, that's how you investigate crimes.

There is conspiracy theory, fact, which often leads to conspiracy fact.

I am a conspiracy theorist, I am out and proud.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    NelliePledge, MEMarge, Sean and 2 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doing a formal response will have required to thoroughly read it and try to make sense of it. Now that's courage. I hope the void did not gaze back. :emoji_beer:

Trish, Simone, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you referring to the courage of parsing the paper or the courage of submitting to the peer-review process? That to me is equally a void.

Trish, MEMarge, Sly Saint and 10 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry: The Interface of Psychiatry and Other Medical Specialties
    James A. Bourgeois, OD, MDMichael Sharpe, MD
    FROM THE ACADEMY OF CONSULTATION-LIAISON PSYCHIATRY

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/ar...face-psychiatry-and-other-medical-specialties

Michelle, Woolie, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Interface? Exciting opportunities? Vanguard for territory grabbing would be more accurate.

MSEsperanza, EzzieD, Barry and 7 others like this.
  14. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Consultation-liaison (C-L) psychiatry is a major psychiatric subspecialty that, within general medical/surgical and academic medical and increasingly in primary care settings, serves as the “tip of the spear” for psychiatry."

The "tip of the spear" that can get anyone, in the gut, even with out psyschiatric comorbidities.

Woolie, MSEsperanza, Barry and 4 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The language of the used car salesman.

Vanguard reminded me of the sort of thing they used to handle. Made by Standard Motors of Coventry I believe. ZxwjJqO2T6W4qJECfXzGBg.jpeg

16. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are many exciting opportunities for C-L psychiatry to [insert text --- make money/increase turnover/increase profit --- ]

If you can't be part of the solution then make money out of the problem!

Michelle, MSEsperanza, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More like Mindless Interference of Psychiatry into Medical Specialities.

18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Couldn't resist skimming the vanguard's text - so, another quote:

Consultation-liaison psychiatrists will also continue to lead in many areas. These include emerging areas of medical genomics in psychiatry, the monitoring of drug-drug interactions, and the management of behavioral and cognitive syndromes with complicated attributable systemic illness causes. Consequently, C-L psychiatry has an important place at the forefront of clinical, academic, and administrative leadership for psychiatry.

Any proposals for a pseudoscience gang tattoo?

[​IMG]

From Department of Mind-Blowing Theories by Tom Gauld.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/19/837107945/scientists-are-human-too-questions-for-cartoonist-tom-gauld

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    ukxmrv, Woolie, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

ukxmrv, Michelle, Sean and 3 others like this.