1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe: Mind, Medicine and Morals: A Tale of Two Illnesses (2019) BMJ blog - and published responses

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Estherbot, May 29, 2019.

1. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

C-L Psychiatry to the rescue.

However did the world manage to turn without this revolutionary innovation.

Pretty soon this CLP centre of the universe will be everywhere. :eek:

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://mh.bmj.com/content/early/2020/06/01/medhum-2019-011807

not yet on sci-hub

3. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

BMJ Medical Humanities
    https://mh.bmj.com/content/early/20...v0hzcMAtp1py0pa19_6XmUWojVfQLeZCDjp-p0X3wNzqw

paragraphs added for easier reading.

5. Sly Saint

The Faculty Lounge
    https://www.thefacultylounge.org/2020/06/is-mecfs-an-illness-without-disease.html

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Sly Saint

ACLP Appoints Hochang Lee, MD, FACLP, as Psychosomatics Editor-in-Chief from January 2021
    https://myemail.constantcontact.com...-2021.html?soid=1102670834514&aid=r4SJf-xEeCk

Barry, MEMarge and Woolie like this.
  10. Sly Saint

‘Important Moment in Disseminating the Proactive C-L Model across the Atlantic’
    Paper describes a new version of Proactive C-L Psychiatry for medical inpatients with multimorbidity

https://www.clpsychiatry.org/aclp-news/y2020/m09/proactive-model/

thread on HOME study here
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-home-study-michael-sharpe-s-cbt-for-the-elderly.2499/

Invisible Woman likes this.
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup. The same one with extremely perverse incentive of discharging patients quicker without any consideration for whether it's a good idea or not. It's all about money, cheapening the delivery of care to a standardized fast-food medicine. But, hey, it's "personalized" since you get a fortune cookie with a unique generic words-of-cheap-wisdom.

13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The illness-disease dichotomy and the biological-clinical splitting of medicine
    Luigi Tesio ,1,2 Marco Buzzoni3

pdf
    https://mh.bmj.com/content/medhum/early/2020/09/28/medhum-2020-011873.full.pdf

14. Snowdrop

This is infuriating.

And I know exactly why they write this. It is precisely because they believe that the Sharpe / Greco paper doesn't make the case as best it could to KEEP the rehabilitative / disease modifying therapies in the mix. This is the purpose of the supposed synthesis of the two positions (Sharpe/Greco)(Wiltshire/Ward).

For example:

*they mean downstream here

As far as I am aware of the total pool of people with MS probably all of them are looking for a treatment for their symptoms and are waiting hopefully for a treatment that is curative. Of that total some sub-set (minority) may want to receive psychotherapy.

It is this constant arrogance of the people who do these kinds of treatment to elevate their approach as of equal importance / weight with patients. Just to repeat myself, they are extremely arrogant.

But there's more arrogance to come:

So patient advocacy perspectives that ask for research into cause are unfortunate. Implicitly, I presume by affecting the BPS pocketbook for future funding and not being allowed to run totally free with no oversight. Those poor people. (bps) Don't we all just feel their pain.

Should I mention as an FYI that this is my mild-mannered version? The gall of bps thinking (if one can really call it that), metaphorically it pretty much blots out the sun.

15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This philosophizing is just an attempt to give credibility to an approach that we already know has failed. Sharpe tried to make his BPS illness model work and failed.

It's a tactic to shift the debate away from objective reality and actual research findings into a purely theoretical territory where rhetoric alone can win.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am confused

However, while we accept that both the experience of illness and what is usually called disease are ‘abstractions’, this is not enough. It is still necessary to raise the question of the relationship both between such abstractions and between them and the rest of reality, clarifying how abstractions thus conceived are connected, at least in principle, in an intersubjectively reproducible and testable way.

I do not understand what they mean by "reality". I thought that such reifications were better avoided.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Neither do they.

19. Snowdrop

I can almost guarantee that if they became seriously ill with ME they would no longer view their experience of illness as a mere abstraction. It is the privilege of the healthy to talk this kind of nonsense and impose it on others.

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe I'm weird, but I prefer scientists who have mastered object permanence.

This is just mental masturbation. I don't think anyone should pay attention to it, just self-important people who think their thoughts are just as good as real evidence, talking about things they neither understand now have experienced.