Miranda Hart - British comedian

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Mar 31, 2020.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A little awkward that the book is called "I Haven’t Been Entirely Honest With You".

Fero, Tia, Ash and 12 others like this.
  2. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Attached Files:

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

False hope is the worst possible response. Tell patients the truth. Don't sugar coat it or lie about it, because the consequences for everybody, not just patients, when they find out the reality are far worse.

If you want patients to lose trust and faith in doctors then giving them false hope is a very good way to do it.
    This. Telling patients the cause of their problems is stress or their failure to handle stress, when they have been given no means to remove the cause of that stress (e.g. a serious untreated medical problem), is about as irresponsible and cruel as it gets.

Hutan, Ash, Missense and 13 others like this.
  4. Deanne NZ

Deanne NZ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m pleased to share that the New Zealand Herald has just now published the Telegraph article on its website. Hopefully it will make any other local media outlets reconsider interviews that may have been planned. Not that I was aware of, but it would not surprise me if one was on the cards for Radio New Zealand.

Fero, Hutan, Ash and 8 others like this.
  5. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fero, Hutan, Ash and 10 others like this.
  6. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Ash, Missense and 15 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I need to read it again, but on first glance it seems a useful response to the whole brain retraining idea.

Hutan, Missense, Sean and 6 others like this.
  8. MrMagoo

9. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tale Nine

"We feel we want to conserve energy when fatigued, but actually the energy cells recover with movement, not without it. It can be very counter intuitive to go on a walk when you are lethargic, but if lethargy is often the repression of anger or grief rather than exhaustion, then movement mobilises, releases and therefore re-energises. "Miranda.

Oh how dangerous. Not just silly or mistaken but dangerous. "..if lethargy is often the repression of anger or grief......then movement reenergises". Don't the publishers have a responsibility of accuracy? Does she know anything about PEM? So Maeve just had to move to reenergise herself? Dangerous.

10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didnt read all of it, but what i did was good. I'm not suggesting it shoudnt be sent, indeed it's necessary to have these things out there, but I hope no one expects her to respond other than in the way she already has.

Indeed the flak/'nay-saying', will only serve to 'prove' that our problem is with our own negative thinking.

Tia, Missense, Binkie4 and 7 others like this.
  11. MrMagoo

I didn’t realise how bad it is until I just read Long Covid Advocate. It’s bad bad bad. She’s practically gone Paul Garner, but with a book deal and nice manner.

Hutan, lunarainbows, Ash and 16 others like this.
  12. JemPD

i agree.

I think Miranda is likely intending to refer to the mitochondria there, which AIUI do multiply with exercise. But hey if only it were that simple!

Missense, Deanne NZ, oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  13. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[Unprintable] off.

Fero, Hutan, Ash and 17 others like this.
  14. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

You should be feeling better now.

Hutan, Ash, Missense and 16 others like this.
  15. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl:

Ash, Missense, Sean and 12 others like this.
  16. JemPD

:rofl:

This, when I am in polite society, shall hence forth be known as

'Dear Little Off'

17. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve just skimmed the letter. The quotes from Miranda Hart are far worse than I anticipated. I’m really disappointed that The Times, which has been so supportive in recent years largely thanks to Sean O’Neill, put Hart’s book on its front page last week.

Really hard to know how to respond. As ever, it’s important to challenge the ideas not the person. I fear this book could be an absolute disaster for people with ME/CFS in terms of how we are treated by people we know.

Fero, Hutan, lunarainbows and 15 others like this.
  18. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read the book, just the quotes and some of the media accounts, but I think that if anyone were to raise it with me I would simply quote this example of her approach, which @Lou B Lou quoted from iNews :

And then I would point out what would go through one's mind about Dr Emoto's claim if one were to apply critical thinking.

I feel really badly for Miranda in all of this. Like all of us who are chronically ill, she's been forced to swim in a grifters' cesspit of misinformation, and without a scientific background it can be very hard to assess it.

I really hope that some of the genetic research that's going on will give us some decent pointers soon. Good science can't come soon enough.

Hutan, Michelle, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  19. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm also thinking that the publication of her book is perhaps providing a teachable moment. Even the Daily Wail is applying some critical thinking.

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Considering that the whole CBT/GET paradigm is considered "evidence-based", and so is the Lightning Process and similar quackery in a very rough sense, I think it's better to adopt a different term. I get that evidence-based is the paradigmatic buzzword, but it literally means nothing when harmful pseudoscience is also considered evidence-based. And it is. This is the problem.

Not that I expect lots to follow, but using science-based or a similar term would be more accurate. Because as absurd as it is, most of what she said would be considered evidence-based by, rough estimate, maybe 80-90% of MDs, at least in a general sense good enough for them to at least recommend it as worth trying. That's one of the main consequences of propaganda appropriating technical terms, it often removes all meaning from words that should have an important one. But that term has been thoroughly trashed into meaningless garbage.

In the end, the only thing in the evidence-based medicine paradigm that is based on science is whatever scientifically valid facts go in, but as a process it has nothing whatsoever to do with science, and is pretty much the opposite for all intents and purposes, what comes out is usually made worse than its input.

Hutan, EzzieD, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.