Miranda Hart - British comedian

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I did wonder whether the LP/OptimumHealth people use the rice-goes-bad-if-you-insult-it story as a gullibility test to see whether potential clients are suitably gullible to believe the 'science' they are telling their clients to justify their methods.

bobbler, Lou B Lou, rvallee and 13 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey, maybe this is the key piece to develop artificial general intelligence. It's very hard to be able to discern deeper meanings from language. Especially things like tone and mood, being able to tell that someone is being mean or sarcastic for example.

If rice can do it. Imagine the possibilities!

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would make sense. Like the spam test.

Who the hell falls for spam? It's filled with mistakes and weird language. And that's on purpose, because they want to hook the fishes who fall for the opening line with enough certainty that they can be brought in the boat. They don't want to waste time on a mark who won't convert.

You know, you really lit up something here. Why the description and language used in psychosomatic ideology is so damn weird and unrelatable. At least it is to me, who would never fall for it. Makes sense. A con is a con and the base techniques are the same. They have to be weird. On purpose.

Ash, Peter Trewhitt, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  4. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any cult/MLM/con artist will lead people up a path, and after a good halfway through they “jump the shark” and say something ridiculous. By which time, someone is in too deep to realise how bonkers it sounds. That’s why when we hear about it in isolation (aka verbally abused rice decays faster) we identify it easily as ludicrous. A bit of NLP as well. Anything which needs extensive explanation which can’t be distilled to a sentence or two is usually a lie.