[Myalgic encephalomyelitis : etiopathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment], 2024, Scherrer et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by forestglip, Jul 18, 2024.

1. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[Myalgic encephalomyelitis : etiopathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment]

(Full article in French)

Robin Scherrer, Marian Galovic, Markus Gschwind, Octavia Sabin

Published 17 July 2024

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), is a neurological disorder involving multiple pathophysiological mechanisms and etiologies. Symptoms include asthenia, myalgia, post-exertional malaise and neurocognitive disorders. While the numerous patient complaints pose a diagnostic challenge, the advent of new technologies paves the way for innovative methods to reveal ME. The heterogeneity of the disease's mechanisms complicates the search for effective treatments but also offers the prospect of numerous beneficial molecules. Combining treatments targeting mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, inflammation and immunological disorders appears to be the current optimal therapeutic approach.

Pubmed | Full text (Revue médicale suisse, French) [Paywall]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
    Nightsong, Kitty, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, not every day you hear about ME from the francophone side of Switzetland, we have less than 5 practicing doctors who take the illness seriously at all.

Abstract seems like the paper is gonna claim lots of unproven stuff as proven though.

Kitty, Sean, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  3. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The authors seem to be a mix of psychiatrists and neurologists. Only the last author seems to be french-speaking, all other german-speaking, so I wonder how this piece came to be…

Kitty, Hutan, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  4. DMissa

DMissa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

??