1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Video - The PACE trial - Part 1: Moving the goalposts

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Adam pwme, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And why they clearly gave in to temptation and frigged it.

One of the other factors that often gets glossed over when talking about the headline figures, even the corrected ones, is they then still had to be corrected for against the SMC (supposedly control) arm. The numbers quoted often seem to miss this.

ladycatlover, rvallee, JohnM and 2 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The level of BS involved in this single paragraph is so dense it could form its own black hole. I feel like it's a waste of time but need to unpack it. The sheer dishonesty is mind-boggling.

Previous reports are irrelevant considering the whole point of PACE was to put those small trials to a definitive test. Poor correlation should always favor objective outcomes over self-reported ones. Here this precisely makes the case that self-reported outcomes are unreliable but the conclusion of PACE authors is to favor the self-reported outcomes they like over objective outcomes that show them wrong. What a joke.

Speculation has no place here considering the price tag of this trial and how they could have put those assumptions to the test. Moreover everyone's activity patterns are heterogenous, this is simply a meaningless statement, and if we are to consider that this is a treatment that can cure people of CFS then it becomes irrelevant to assess whether people have effectively been cured of CFS given assumptions about CFS patients since they would then not be considered CFS patients anymore.

Which completely invalidates the entire GET arm, that explicitly made the assumption of severe deconditioning while also being poorly representative of the whole disease as it basically erases the severe+ patients.

There are so many things wrong with this single paragraph it could be turned into a whole book, examining how delusional thought can infect medical care by the clever use of pseudoscience disguised as evidence-based medicine. The people involved in this are dishonorable frauds who should never be in a position of authority over vulnerable people given their pathological use of bullshit conjecture and avoidance of reality in favor of a pseudoscientific ideology.

ladycatlover, Barry and Kirsten like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I was reading that section, with the benefit of a bit more insight than when I read it the first time, it truly comes across as saying they reverse engineered their findings to get what they wanted. That section alone screams out what 3rd-rate science PACE was.

rvallee, ladycatlover, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

no idea what was on this video as I can't view it
    https://twitter.com/user/status/659354087952003073

(am still unable to find the full Victoria Derbyshire program from 1 Nov 2016 [only found a short clip on FB] if anyone has a copy, knows of one please let me know)

eta: screen shot MJW on left

A therapy that successfully treats... - Victoria Derbyshire -MJW.jpg
    "A therapy that successfully treats two-thirds of children with chronic fatigue syndrome is being trialled for NHS use. Lizzie Horgan, who has ME, explains how such techniques have helped her."
    FITNET-NHS launch

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Joh, Adam pwme, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  5. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's from the follow up study where he said they maintained their improvements.

Not sure what the coat hangers all about. Probably illustrates his lack of attention to detail.

I could only find the same short clip too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    MEMarge, Joh and Sly Saint like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

It's got his magnificent gown hanging on it. Can't you see it?

MEMarge, Joh, Adam pwme and 3 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Trish and Adam pwme like this.
  8. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice one. It's Crawley talking about Skype therapy for kids. Will bookmark it. In case I need it in the future. Thanks

Amw66, Joh, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fitnet

Adam pwme likes this.