1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News and views in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS): The role of co-morbidity and novel treatments (2019) Comhaire et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Badpack, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Badpack

Badpack Established Member (Voting Rights)

2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting. I know many are negative on Comhaire’s work, but at least he is investigating some potential treatment options.

spinoza577 and DokaGirl like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Abstract

Hutan, Michelle, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  4. Badpack

@Jaybee00 oh thanks for letting me know haha. Didnt hear his name before. Was just browsing through some studies and found it an interesting read. Because my main symptom right now is frontal brain pain and brain fog to the grade that i forget my own name :/ thats why the Meldonium treatment seemed interesting to me with the brain scans. Also didnt find anyone here in the forum who ever tried it before.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    DokaGirl and alktipping like this.
  5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Badpack

Comhaire posts here under the name “ME/CFS”. You could @ him if you have questions.

Meldonium is available online... not so expensive.

spinoza577, DokaGirl and alktipping like this.
  6. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Famously taken by Maria Sharapova for a decade, according to her. Ended in a 1-year ban.

MEMarge likes this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't quite understand the rationale of using these drugs.

Meldonium inhibits fatty acid oxidation (through inhibiting carnitine acetyltransferase, Carnitine Transporter 2 and γ‐butyrobetaine hydroxylase).
    There is some evidence that fatty acid oxidation is already (compared to controls) relatively inhibited in ME & CFS patients.
    https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/mb/c6mb00600k/
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2010.02341.x (suggests that there is already higher peroxisomal utilization of fatty acids, suggesting lower carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I activity)

The therapeutic rationale is to encourage glycolysis but that doesn't seem to be a problem in patients (Fluge & Mela, Hanson etc).

See also (mechanisms of action) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6188923/ (Misuse of the metabolic modulator meldonium in sports)

Michelle, spinoza577 and Trish like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

We have previous threads on Comhaire's research using his mix of sodium dichloroacetate and some nutritional supplements in a mixture he was trying to patent.

If you read the discussion on those threads, you will see that forum members were unimpressed by his overblown claims of efficicacy based on small short term open label trials with subjective outcome measures.

He tried to do some fancy predictive mathematical models for which patients would respond but seemed not to understand that you have to make the model on one set of data and test if it works on a different set.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/a-nov...ment-of-me-cfs-frank-comhaire-sept-2017.1036/

https://www.s4me.info/threads/treat...th-sodium-dichloroacetate-comhaire-2018.2885/

9. Badpack

Mhh ok sounds pretty dubious after looking into your links. Did some ppl from the forum really try dichloracetat or Meldonium ?

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I, um, yeah, well, there are definitely more than 5 grains of sand in a handful and a blue whale is definitely at least more than 20kg.

Not much to interpret. Open label with self-reported outcomes. The fatigue questionnaire doesn't look particularly relevant. Doesn't look bad so much as not particularly useful.

Hutan likes this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just read through the paper. What a muddle of speculation, bits of rather vague biology, repetition, claims of effectiveness based on open label studies with subjective outcomes,.. oh and rats too.

12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Snow Leopard and Grigor like this.