News from Canada

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Tom Kindlon, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s totally crazy.

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

30 year-old woman from Quebec chose euthanasia after suffering for years. At the end she weighed 59 lbs and could not get supplemental feeding from the health care system. Very similar case to others we have seen recently, but chose the option to end it on her own term instead of starving to death. She died on May 17.

Said to be from Lyme disease. I don't know what gets MDs foaming at the mouth about, let's call it Long Lyme, more than anything, and I think it's obvious that the problem isn't with a specific pathogen but rather with an immune response. But this is unacceptable however it's called or framed at. This is social murder.

Woman with ‘unmanageable’ pain from Lyme disease chooses to die. She wasn’t always believed
    https://globalnews.ca/news/10529000/lyme-disease-assisted-death-canada/

Sean, Solstice and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Canadians Without Life Threatening Disease Are Being Encouraged to Consider Suicide: Opinion

Green says patients who can now access MAID include those with lifelong chronic pain or post-viral illness such as chronic Lyme disease or chronic fatigue syndrome (now called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis). “They would rather die than live like this,” said Green of these patients asking for MAID.

LINK

Sean, Solstice and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sometimes questions just answer themselves:
    Mental health services aren't an option in most of those cases. They could be scarce, they could be plentiful, and it wouldn't change anything, because they have nothing to do with the problem. Solutions have to at least relate to the problem, to be effective they have to directly target it. Not here, but this kind of thinking is exactly why there aren't any real options, and people pushed into despair take desperate measures.

If I was offered such services, I wouldn't even know what to do. That is if I accepted, which I wouldn't. Even if it was available on my own time from home. This is not what I need. It has nothing to do with my problems, offers no solution to them. I need this as much as I need to learn to tame lions. I already did it once, early when I first got ill, and I didn't even know what to talk about. I had an easy life and was, and still am, as well-adjusted as a person can be.

So the simple reality of why there aren't options here is that it's all by choice, that the medical profession would rather cling to junk fantasies about magical powers of the mind than do the damn work that needs to be done, even if it causes people to kill themselves, to suffer needlessly, and to die early even if they don't do it themselves. Options are possible, they're even relatively easy, but it goes against how medicine has worked for a long time, and traditions overrule the law and human rights most of the time here.

But damn is this complicated, because there are legitimate reasons for euthanasia. My parents are getting pretty old and I've lost count of how many people they know who went through it, rather than suffer agonizing slow deaths from cancer or degenerative diseases. I know for certain that my mother will go through this, largely because of how she saw her own mother, and my father's mother, suffer and languish, even after they wanted to end it.

Really I don't see much of a difference between euthanizing disabled people who could be helped, and just leaving us to suffer needlessly entirely out of choice, in the service of a bullshit ideology. They're just as vile, the methods don't really matter, the real scandal here is the negligence, the denial and inability to do better out of sheer stubbornness and ineptitude.

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mij and Peter Trewhitt like this.