News from Cochrane

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Kalliope, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://taskexchange.cochrane.org/tasks/1865

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shak8 likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Registration is now open for ‘Virtually Cochrane’, an online event for all those involved with, or interested in, planning, doing, sharing and using health and healthcare evidence.

Early bird registration has been extended to 7 April 2021.

We welcome you to join us for a series of sessions on the theme of ‘navigating evidence and uncertainty’. Join live sessions or watch content on-demand. There will also be opportunities for networking, and access to a project hub.

Click on the links below to find out more about each session. View Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the event.

https://uk.cochrane.org/our-work/upcoming-event-virtually-cochrane-2021/virtually-cochrane-programme

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who's attending?

Registration free for patients/carers/advocates.

ETA: I've registered

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Michelle likes this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I see Hilda Bastian is doing a session on the second day about Covid.

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Sly Saint

upload_2021-5-9_11-54-37.png

eta:

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and Esther12 like this.
  8. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, his whole talk was very good.

@Caroline Struthers have you seen that this is now on You tube

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe a supertanker of luvvies only too ready to crow over the biffing of a fellow prima donna?

Although this has more a feeling of the Marie Celeste than of the Titanic.

11. Sly Saint

Major milestones and new beginnings: Cochrane announces first round of new Thematic Groups

https://community.cochrane.org/news...ane-announces-first-round-new-thematic-groups

so they can organise/set up all this lot.......
    yet we still don't know which 'group' ME/CFS are being reassigned to.....then there's the 3 year wait for the re-writing/ updating or whatever of the exercise review.

"new production model."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2022
    inox, Wonko, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  12. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts

https://twitter.com/user/status/1684141967272210432

Cochrane UK on Twitter: "We are sorry to announce that Cochrane UK, based in Oxford, will close at the end of March 2024 with the end of National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) funding: https://buff.ly/47325lx"

Article ends with: "The Cochrane UK team will continue to deliver on our current work programme until the end of the contract."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2023
    hinterland, Ariel, Sly Saint and 12 others like this.
  13. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The statement in the article is a piece from last week.

It says: "In March 2024, Cochrane UK’s current contract with National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR), hosted by the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, will come to an end. As a result, Cochrane UK will shortly be seeking a new funder and host institution."

And: “As we look to the future, there is an exciting opportunity for a new institution to host Cochrane UK and help more people to benefit from health and care evidence. We will be reviewing what is needed in the UK before we begin a selection process. But I would encourage anyone interested in hosting Cochrane UK at their institution to get in touch with me in the meantime.”

Martin Burton [the departing Cochrane UK director] said: "Cochrane UK is in safe hands and I look forward to hearing more about Cochrane’s future plans."

Edited to add, ps: I'm sorry if this is in a wrong Cochrane thread. I thought it might apply here, but I could be mistaken.

Hutan, Ariel, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  14. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The world needs high-quality evidence in general, and synthesised evidence in particular, now more than ever before." Martin Burton https://www.cochrane.org/news/news-cochrane-uk

As we know, Cochrane sometimes synthesizes poor-quality evidence, and actively hides its poor quality for political reasons. Hopefully there will be less of that in the future...

Ash, SNT Gatchaman, obeat and 22 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately:
    So sadly this is not the good news it seemed at first. I hope this entire organization closes down soon. It's true that the world needs high-quality evidence, and Cochrane's business model is aligned exactly opposite to that.

Ash, hinterland, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  16. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It took 8 years or more for NIHR to realise that Cochrane was not a good use of UK taxpayer's money, giving them warning after warning after warning. I don't think the Cochrane Exercise for CFS review had anything to do with their decision (although it should have done). Just the general crapness of the "product".

Ash, obeat, hinterland and 14 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Ash, EzzieD and Ariel like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://uk.cochrane.org/news/cochrane-uk-oxford-close-end-march-2024

Cochrane UK in Oxford to close at the end of March 2024
    [​IMG]
    We are sorry to announce that Cochrane UK, based in Oxford, will close at the end of March 2024 with the end of National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) funding.

Since Cochrane UK was established - as the first Cochrane centre - it has delivered a varied programme of work. For example, providing training, events (including four Colloquia, the inaugural one in Oxford, then Dublin and Edinburgh, with a fourth planned in London in September 2023) and resources for Cochrane contributors and others; supporting the dissemination of Cochrane evidence; and monitoring the impact of Cochrane Reviews.

In the early years, Cochrane UK conducted a programme of methods research and helped establish the Cochrane Central Register of Studies. Cochrane UK also founded Students 4 Best Evidence, a global network for students interested in evidence-based health care and carries out outreach work teaching school children, and others, about evidence-based decision-making.

The Cochrane UK team will continue to deliver on our current work programme until the end of the contract.

Important note: Cochrane UK is a regional centre within Cochrane, supporting Cochrane activities in the UK. The funding of Cochrane is not affected by this news - Cochrane will continue to produce Cochrane Reviews.

Ash, Ariel, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I was interested to see that Gillian Leng, previously the leader of NICE and under whose watch the 2021 ME/CFS Guideline was written, is a member of the Cochrane Governing Board.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  20. Sly Saint

Ash, MEMarge, Arvo and 2 others like this.