News from Doctors with ME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Wyva, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At the end of the day, it seems all about tone and trying (too hard) to create an 'impression', one of superior knowledge, expertise & legitimacy, I suggest?
    'We are medical/ /legal professionals who know this better than lay people......'..... I think not!

I suggest 2 of the 'directors' should examine what they are trying to achieve and rethink their approach.
    Let the dust settle and restart with a whole director consensus approach after internal private debate.

I also suggest they examine what is necessary.
    So what about the buzz word and steer of Co production - vital now in NHS Service/ Healthwatch delivery- valid carer and valid patient experience & the lived experience?

DwME have arrived rather late to the party (NICE in particular)...
    I had a lot of uneasy about the deliberations postings and approach to NICE before DwME was formally set up ........

I did not respond to the appeal to join their 'pre DwME' party, appeals and 'initiatives' because I had been enshrined in the NICE debate since 2007- and well before (as many here have)- and I knew it inside out and back to front.
    I knew it like many on S4ME blow by blow from the JR and before.

Some of their training material etc is useful and helpful.
    I suggest that is what DwME should focus on that rather than trying to promote themselves outside of the patient experience.

The 'tone' of other communication we have been discussing is a definite turn off for me!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    JemPD, MEMarge, cfsandmore and 13 others like this.
  2. Arisoned

Arisoned Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’m so glad there are people out there that are better/smarter than me.

@cassava7 thank you so much for all you did here trying to bring this to DWME’s attention.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Doctors with ME have posted two long Twitter threads.

The first, if I understand it correctly, says changes to ME services resulting from Sajid Javid's groups and the NICE guideline should be mandatory.
    The second is critical of some criticism of some of DwME's output, specifically on the S4ME forum. The general message I got from a quick read was that while Richard Ramyar thinks S4ME is valuable, he objects to our members being allowed to criticise some of DwME's materials, and claims this has caused harm.
    Edit to add my personal response: Richard, you are a member here, and are welcome to engage with our discussions of DwME's work and put your perspective. I hope you will, and will also encourage members of DwME to join S4ME and put their points of view.

I think it's worth reminding DwME members and anyone else reading forum threads, that forum threads are conversations where all members are free to express opinions on anything relevant to people with ME/CFS, provided they do so within the rules. We cannot and do not police opinions, any more than Twitter does, and any opinion expressed here is the opinion of an individual, not a 'forum view', and should not be read as such.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    Hutan, Barry, Robert 1973 and 30 others like this.
  4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it hard to get much actionable and really understood out of these very long tweet chains. What position has caused what harm? As far as I can see the bulk of the complaint here is they aren't communicating very clearly or well, they are using terms weirdly. What are their ideas? I am just left feeling mildly attacked and I don't understand for what or why. I did't find these twitter threads constructive. Looking back through this thread the criticism seems to be they are communicating very poorly which I agree with and is my main criticism about what they have said, there was little of constructive feedback nor constructive ideas to progress the situation with pwME in the country.

5. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

He explains his highly idiosyncratic writing style at DwME as a necessary part of communicating with professionals. Yet these Twitter threads, meant to communicate with us non-professionals, are full of the exact same kind of unintuitive jargon and awkward writing.

These Twitter threads (both in their content and in their length—80 tweets!) make it clear Richard’s feeling deeply victimized and that he doesn’t see any merit in the criticism that’s come his way. I wish the best for DwME going forward but my expectations are very low if this is how their leadership handles critical feedback.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    Hutan, Barry, Chezboo and 20 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't worry. The only thing to remember is the acronym BBB.

Bullshit baffles brains.

Barry, Fainbrog, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  7. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“Patients at the raw end of obstinacy and ignorance” (tweet 14 from Ramyar) and “misinformation”. If there could be any better indication that Doctors with ME are condescending…

Hutan, MEMarge, Sean and 12 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Dx Revision Watch

Big boys and girls don't feel the need to write in this style.

Edited to add: And why are the "Honorary Fellows" prepared to turn a blind eye? And the other Directors?

Barry, chrisb, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  10. tomnext

tomnext Established Member

Anyone else reacting to the use of the term "gentlemanly"?

For a Scandi like me, it seems rather patriarchal, aristocratic and colonial, but I do not know how other people outside UK interpret it.

Other than that, I felt Richard made some good points. Cfs_research is a troll, and I reckon he/she/it is blocked by most people in this forum. To constantly criticize organizations who try to good, without knowing the full story of why they did what they did, can also be negative for the patient community and for the progress of ME worldwide. I do believe DwME want to do good, and I trust people who say they have a plan. It is always worth trying out a plan, even if it's not perfect, not least because we don't have the energy to put forward and go through with a replacement plan by ourselves. So those with the energy to try something out, go for it!

That said, if this thread was aimed at the patient community, to try explaining in layman terms, it was a failure. I struggled lots, especially with the first thread. Incoherent language is not easy to interpret for a fogged brain. I would suggest them getting a communications officer, to convey messages in an easy to grasp way, for the patients and their carers.

bobbler, MEMarge, obeat and 8 others like this.
  11. Dx Revision Watch

I am more concerned that they are pitching their content at professionals and claiming that professionals would have no issues with their content, which I very much doubt is the case.

Barry, bobbler, chrisb and 17 others like this.
  12. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does he mean “unconstructive” when he says “deconstructive” or is some latter-day Derrida winding him up?

Jaybee00, chrisb, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  13. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems patriarchal, aristocratic and colonial to me too, as someone from the UK.

Hutan, Ariel, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  14. tomnext

tomnext Established Member

Oh yes, I agree that it would be difficult for professionals as well. I have 10 years of higher education, which should make me be able to understand most. My hobby atm is reading research papers, albeit my foggy brain makes it a bit hard from time to time. So it is quite telling that I had huge problems with thread no 1.

Though, I was thinking more along the lines of them needing another com person employed if he is supposed to be the communications officer towards the professional community. Something like a community outreach person, to make easy-to-read versions of the hard-to-read texts. Not necessarily translating all content, but giving abstracts and explanations of what is going on, so that their work is more rooted in the community. Would help them immensely wrt outreach in other countries, and us sick people have connections as well that could be useful for DwME.

bobbler, Ariel, obeat and 2 others like this.
  15. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aww sorry but rather than comment on the actual tweets or person I just feel like I hate this sort of thing happening on social media (or wherever I guess).

I'm not really that old-fashioned in the reason behind me saying certain vehicles/mediums are designed to be short and punchy soundbite rather than nuanced and caveated for a reason - tending to feed controversy.

I'm getting the feeling that DwME perceive this ie s4me as 'the same thing' where many of us would see it as somewhere to discuss and spitball in order to get right what might go onto social media.

Are we wrong in this perception of s4me or are they? Are we thinking wouldn't it be nice to debate things out first, when they would see such an 'opportunity' as back-handed invited onto 'someone else's territory' type thing instead? I guess that is the thing with perceptions, each is correct in their own - and some feel safer with visibility and have a point that this isn't 'private'.

We do all need to understand each other somewhat and communicate as you'd hope that intentions unite us in many areas, will overlap, bring in different angles etc and we've both got other directions our energy could be focused in. How can this be brokered - is this new for a reason/something new happened or still the same issue?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I struggle with twitter threads of a handful of posts. Anything that long isn’t a viable means of getting any message over to me.

Barry, Arnie Pye, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  17. Dx Revision Watch

But why publish "hard-to-read texts" in the first place?

Why can't the concepts DwME wish to convey to their audiences be successfully communicated using report style?

Robert 1973, bobbler, Ariel and 12 others like this.
  18. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is a pluralist community....?
    Me.. BA Hons (first class), .... E Dip/ Part 1 B Ed, Dip Cartography..........:nailbiting:

Pluralism assumes that diversity is beneficial to society and that autonomy should be enjoyed by disparate functional or cultural groups within a society, ..

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    bobbler, Louie41, Ariel and 1 other person like this.
  20. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is just sad.

Hutan, Chezboo, bobbler and 15 others like this.