News from Scandinavia

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Nov 2, 2017.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good grief... Literally no one thinks physicians are infallible, it's painfully obvious how limited modern medicine remains. Well, clearly no one outside of medicine.

We literally need this, except not for emperors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auriga_(slave)

In ancient Rome, the auriga was a slave with gladiator status, whose duty it was to drive a biga, the light vehicle powered by two horses, to transport some important Romans, mainly duces (military commanders). An auriga was a sort of "chauffeur" for important men and was carefully selected from among trustworthy slaves only.

It has been supposed also that this name was given to the slave who held a laurel crown, during Roman Triumphs, over the head of the dux, standing at his back but continuously whispering in his ears "Memento Mori" ("remember you are mortal") to prevent the celebrated commander from losing his sense of proportion in the excesses of the celebrations.

tmrw likes this.
  2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jonas Bergquist on Swedish TV earlier today:

Ny forskning: Snart kan det finnas ett test som visar om du har ME
    https://www.tv4.se/artikel/6srgEVVz...an-det-finnas-ett-test-som-visar-om-du-har-me
    Post/thread about the segment on Malou Efter Tio's Facebook page.

ETA: Forum thread about the study:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/sweden-me-cfs-lactate-glucose-and-hypoxanthine.21615/

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Sean, Lilas, Andy and 2 others like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. mango

5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kalliope likes this.
  6. mango

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    NelliePledge, Wyva, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:hug: I guess FMMM1 didn't look at the thread before posting.

NelliePledge, Andy and mango like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Jaybee00

See my post for English summary in tweet.

Trish and Andy like this.
  10. Jaybee00

1. What happened to his kynurenine trial?
    2. Not sure why he states there is auto-immunity involved whereas @Jonathan Edwards has previously mentioned that there is no evidence for this claim.

11. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

It's not just Berquist that does this, Fluge/Mella/Tronstad still talks about autoimmunity as a potential cause of ME/CFS, I think they went through their reasoning in a paper discussed on here a while ago (sorry don't remember the title).

Jaybee00 and mango like this.
  12. mango

OMF has scheduled a YouTube video to premiere on May 3, 2022.

"Dr. Jonas Bergquist updates on ME/CFS Research Progress! May Momentum Tuesdays 2022

Jonas Bergquist, MD, PhD, is OMF's Chief Medical Officer & Director of the Uppsala ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center (CRC). Today he shares updates from Uppsala CRC's #LongCOVID research study, findings from the cerebral spinal fluid of ME/CFS patients, and more."

Copied to this thread:
    ME researcher Jonas Bergquist - interviews, talks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2022
    Trish, Kalliope and MittEremltage like this.
  13. mango

Opinion piece (in English). ME is not mentioned.

What my burnout taught me about Sweden’s exhaustion epidemic

“Hitting the wall” is a well-known and widespread phenomenon in Sweden, where thousands are forced to take long-term sick leave because of clinical exhaustion. David Crouch, who hit the wall himself, examines this uniquely Swedish condition.

https://www.thelocal.se/20220429/in-i-vaggen-whats-behind-swedens-growing-burnout-problem/

Andy, Kalliope and Trish like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Honestly, it would never be possible to invent this in a story, it's just too ridiculous to make it up. Reminds me way too much of the people who made the Earth the center of the universe. How they can think this is uniquely Swedish, I guess it must because of the underlying beliefs that this is cultural.

Except this time there isn't even a coherent belief system, just as vague set of ideas and disjointed beliefs, way more folklore than powerful church. It's hard to feel optimistic for the survival of our species given how badly we faceplant against simple problems.

Midnattsol and Kalliope like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MSEsperanza and Kalliope like this.
  16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's an article about the research project "Tjenesten og MEg" who says ME patients aren't taken seriously by those who are supposed to help them and that lack of knowledge results into "help" that only makes matters worse.

Research director at the Norwegian Institute for Public Health Signe Flottorp says it's documented that cognitive therapy has effect and that there are no controlled studies showing it's harmful. Same with adapted exercise therapy. We must have a Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration that makes sure to test whether the patient can get back to work before he/she gets benefits. She understands it can be demanding for the patient, but on the other hand getting benefits can't be a self-service.

Ingrid Helland, leader of the National Competence Service for ME/CFS says the national ME-guideline only suggests graded exercise, cognitive therapy and coping courses, it was never meant for the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration to take it literally.

17. Esther12

Thanks for that. If there's a copy you could pm, that would be great.

MSEsperanza, Trish and Kalliope like this.
  18. Esther12

Some of the bits from the google translated article I found most of interest:

https://www.dagbladet.no/tema/navs-me-hjelp-skaper-debatt/75932875

19. mango

NelliePledge, John Mac, Andy and 2 others like this.
  20. mango

Another article about pwME Niklas Malmqvist in Sweden.

Niklas om sin ME: Det värsta är att tvingas vara självisk
    https://www.wellness.se/halsa/sjukd...in-me-det-varsta-ar-att-tvingas-vara-sjalvisk

Do be aware that Niklas and his influencer partner Vanja Wikström are currently also actively marketing their NTF business. The attention and media exposure they are getting through the articles about Niklas's ME is probably very important for their business, so that might have an impact on what they say and where they appear etc.

Also worth keeping in mind is that, according to the article linked above, Niklas is a patient of two private ME clinics, one of which is very expensive.

An recent article about their business:

Vanja Wikström satsar allt på NFT: “Vi sätter hela vårt rykte, vår personlighet och yrkesmässighet på spel”
    https://www.breakit.se/artikel/3281...t-rykte-personligt-och-yrkesmassighet-pa-spel

MSEsperanza, Midnattsol, Andy and 2 others like this.