1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: National Health Service (NHS) news

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by NelliePledge, Mar 17, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Some threads have bene merged to create this news thread

The future of the NHS: no longer the envy of the world?

Picked up from social media. Article in the Lancet London School of Economics have this project with an independent commission looking to identify big challenges faced by the NHS. An opportunity to highlight the harm and financial waste of ME being “treated” with ineffective approach and the MUS spreading BPS to lots of other chronic conditions. Richard Horton is on the Panel so a good opportunity to shame him for his own contribution to shoring up PACE.
    https://www.lselancetcommissionnhs.com/
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)30574-9/fulltext

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2022
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't manage a submission myself, but I'd love those who might be able to to put their heads together and write a submission telling the NHS could save money by scrapping the roll out of IAPT/MUS and current CBT/GET based clinics and replace them with good quality guidance for GP's on how to diagnose and support patients with ME, and when and to whom to refer for further testing.

3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That submission may be useful beyond UK borders for same reasons.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Jan and 4 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps an S4ME submission ?

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Crossposted with @Sasha
    Given stakeholder role to NICE guideline , it may offer an opportunity to hone arguments and widen awareness?

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we could use PACE to widen the attack and include MUS by highlighting the weak standards of "proof" required of psychiatrists and psychologists.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Hoopoe and 5 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks a bit like submitting a case for abolishing gold plated lifts to Mr Trump to me.

This needs a different angle I think.
    Mr Horton is probably not that well disposed to our community.

ladycatlover, Esther12, Barry and 2 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

NHS England to stop 'ineffective' treatments

No mention of GET or CBT.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44665560

Webdog, Lisa108, Melanie and 3 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You raised my hopes with that thread title. :(

I saw that item. I have no idea what the evidence is for these cuts - can we ride on the back of them and say there's just as much evidence for cutting CBT/GET for ME/CFS, and probably the whole if IAPT for MUS.

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Protected species, mate.

Webdog, Oni, Melanie and 6 others like this.
  12. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"to be offered to far fewer patients" just means that it will be offered to none. It will be an effective ban.

The same thing happened when the NHS decided that T3 should be taken off patients because it cost so much. The NHS didn't ban it, but in effect that is what happened. Many patients (mostly women) have had their T3 taken away and have lost their jobs and become bedridden. The smart ones and the brave ones find out they can buy it online or they bankrupt themselves paying for private prescriptions. They are told by doctors "my hands are tied, the CCG / the NHS has banned it". It's not true - but it might as well be.

Snow Leopard, alktipping, Oni and 8 others like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I felt was important for us was the statement that if there was only a treatment with significant harms associated with it, it was better to do nothing. We are continually bombarded with CBT and GET having to be continued because otherwise there would be no treatments available.

EzzieD, Andy, Webdog and 6 others like this.
  14. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

same old same cost cutting in the name of efficiency .what does it matter if tens of thousands of patients are now denied procedures that would benefit them . as we know not all treatments will benefit all patients so picking out samples of patients who saw no benefit will be easy but then using these sample cases to deny the treatment to others is just plain wrong . evidential bias can always find ways to cut costs .

Arnie Pye likes this.
  15. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Routine DNA tests will put NHS at the ‘forefront of medicine’

https://amp.theguardian.com/science...e-dna-tests-precision-cancer-tumour-screening

16. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the NHS, an organisation with such outdated IT infrastructure that it can't even keep it's machines patched to block drive by ransomware, where critical parts of it's diagnostic lineup won't run on anything newer than window xp, where records are routinely either lost or have to be transferred on paper between departments/consultants because their internal e-coms is so unreliable, these are the people who are going to lead the world in genomic medicine? A field which will either need IT that works or result in mass deforestation globally.

Well.........they do say laughter is the best medicine, although I am not sure they meant maniacal or hollow laughter, and I'm fairly sure that calculation is heavily influenced by the price.

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

when the NHS becomes the first health service in the world to routinely offer genomic medicine

So if I am having trouble with a thrombosed pile (not to be recommended) I will be offered to have my DNA sequenced and put on a waiting list to see a proctologist in the spring?

18. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You mean something like this could happen? 'Somewhere between the analysis and the printed copy we have been attacked by gremlins. Sadly, the passage of time, theft of a computer containing the original draft, and the fact that none of us can find the proofs anymore, mean that we have no idea when this happened.'

19. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How long will it be before the DNA data is passed to (or sold to) insurance companies with sufficient info attached to make it identifiable?

And when we all have to start paying for insurance, how many people will be refused because of dodgy genetics which give them a higher risk of, say, a brain tumour?

20. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the guardian full of lovely sound bites but your not meant to actually think about newspeak just be positive and every thing will be great .