NICE guideline on ME/CFS: robust advice based on a thorough review of the evidence, 2024, Barry et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was a good response. Loved the bit about fever and tonsils. Not too sure about the bit about the exercise programs when people feel ready to increase their activity levels. Overal I'm quite happy with this debunk. Curious what my friend Hans Knoop will think about it.

Ash, MEMarge, tornandfrayed and 24 others like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think with some use of the "effort preference" focal point in his brain networks, he might be able to ignore it.

Ash, tornandfrayed, EzzieD and 28 others like this.
  3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another of my favorites is that paragraph on endpoints:
    "In 2019, stakeholder feedback regarding the NICE guideline on depression expressed concern that NICE had not considered long-term outcomes. They requested that ‘NICE should conduct a proper analysis of 1 and 2-year follow-up data where available and prioritise treatment recommendations made on the basis of this data’ and subsequently stated that ‘long-term follow-up, where available, must be included and prioritised’. This is precisely what NICE has done in the ME/CFS guideline."

Reference is:

Wessely S, Gerada C, Edwards J (J=Jennifer), et al. Campaign Coalition position statement. 2019.

https://www.bacp.co.uk/media/13407/...e-nice-guideline-for-depression-in-adults.pdf

So Wessely signed both: (1) the anomalies paper that criticized NICE's decision to prioritize long term outcomes in the assessment of the evidence for the efficacy of ME treatments and (2) the request to NICE to do exactly this -- prioritize long term outcomes -- in the assessment of the evidence for the efficacy of depression treatments.

lycaena, Michelle, RedFox and 47 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Classic.

5. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good spot

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know why it took 32 years to publish this, or why it's paywalled, but whatever it's done. And it looks rather good.

I've been waiting a few days to use this:
    [​IMG]

And of course it's even worse here because it's not even a metric. But trying to optimize an outcome like this always leads to excessive bias, especially as the trials explicitly try to manipulate people's responses on subjective questionnaires. I'm not even sure this level of bias can be found in textbook as something to avoid, because it's too excessive, but it's basically the foundation of biopsychosocial ideology so it's accepted despite being widely understood to be invalid. So damn weird.
    And far more than this, but it's important to point out that Cochrane's own evidence says the same, they just conclude their preference anyway. IQWIG, the German NICE, excluded all but 3 on this basis. A recent systematic review boasted of exercise being great for depression, and literally all the studies rated at the lowest level of certainty and high bias. This is a plague that is ruining both psychology and evidence-based medicine, and it would be really important for NICE to recognize that this is far from a problem limited to this shady quackery, it's all over the place and they have a responsibility to rein it it.

Many of the guidelines they have published since have the exact same problems, but they went ahead and made the recommendations anyway. IQWIG did the same, after excluding almost all the studies. And recently we saw a "meta review" by Knoop and his acolytes that basically only selected studies they themselves did. The entire discipline is digging itself into invalidity, in my opinion already has.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    tornandfrayed, EzzieD, obeat and 13 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dude just has his effort preference compass all screwed up. It points to wherever his interest lies. Double entendre intended.

But it is nice that NICE pointed out the hypocrisy.

Michelle, Lou B Lou, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It didn't, it's replying to an opinion piece from last year.

9. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, that is a thing of beauty!

10. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well spotted. I am imagining them enjoying putting that in.

I will share it on Xitter.

I’m reminded of Scott Fitzgerald famously wrote: “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.”

Previously, I said that I hoped the response from NICE would be as good as it needed to be, and I think it is.

As far as I can see, they seem to have got all the key arguments right, and the tone is spot on.

Ridiculous that it’s behind a paywall.

Ash, MEMarge, tornandfrayed and 21 others like this.
  11. Robert 1973

:rofl: I will steal that too!

MEMarge, EzzieD, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  12. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another “reference”—it’s a “great, great” response

Ash, MEMarge, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  13. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any way we can campaign to get NICE's statement put under the responses tab to the original article, without a paywall?
    Surely, surely NICE should have the right to defend itself after aspersions have been cast on their integrity?
    I just don't understand what is happening here.

Michelle, Medfeb, MEMarge and 22 others like this.
  14. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember pointing out this piece in the thread on the Anomalies paper. I’m very glad NICE picked up on it.

MSEsperanza, Ash, MEMarge and 20 others like this.
  15. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Barry does his reading. As do the others. And I know they've read stuff here before too.

MSEsperanza, Michelle, FMMM1 and 32 others like this.
  16. Robert 1973

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762988605209722917

MSEsperanza, RedFox, Ash and 26 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Pleased this point has been made. The time frame for assessing primary outcomes for a condition should be determined by its natural course (when untreated). For chronic conditions it should be a minimum of 2-3 years, to allow all the short term non-therapeutic effects of treatment, and natural variability, to wash out.

:D

Par excellence!

I believe the term of art is 'anomaly'. :whistle:

RedFox, Ash, bobbler and 13 others like this.
  18. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like an excellent response.

19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a copy of the full article if anyone wants.

Ash, bobbler, Starlight and 10 others like this.
  20. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The 2023 Peter White et al Review (Archive) and this recent NICE response (Online First) are both in the BMJ's Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry (JNNP) not on the https://www.bmj.com.

Does the JNNP have a publicly viewable responses tab for its papers, reviews and commentaries in the same way that the BMJ has "Rapid Responses"?

The BMJ's Rapid Responses have a word limit:

"From March 2022, the word limit for rapid responses will be 600 words not including references and author details. We will no longer post responses that exceed this limit. The word limit for letters selected from posted responses remains 300 words"

The 2023 Peter White et al Review is in the Archive section of JNNP and I can't see any responses tab, as such - or am I missing something?

Edited to add: Rapid Responses to the 2023 Peter White et al Review can be found here: https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/94/12/1056.responses

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    RedFox, Ash, Starlight and 3 others like this.