1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

No Benefit of 3 Commonly Used Medications in MS Fatigue

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It needs to be stated again that medicine really doesn't understand fatigue, nor know how to treat it.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The drugs: amantadine, modafinil, methylphenidate. Not surprised about the last 2 not being effective, never heard of the first.

Just like pain, the entire field of fatigue research needs a complete reset. You can't progress without a basic understanding of what it is, starting with a damn common and clear vocabulary. Literally start over from scratch with a fresh batch of people, there's nothing of value to be found in there yet.

Case in point:
    Fatigue is not sleepiness. Just. Stop. You are very bad at this. :banghead:

Wait, no, I meant :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::
    Actually what I meant is: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    Have you literally never checked the scientific literature on this topic? Seriously?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stimulants are pretty effective for things like narcolepsy, etc., so there are some treatments available for certain conditions.

alktipping and shak8 like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amantadine was ried in ME. I don't know whether there was ever a trial, but it was not beneficial.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Squeezy, MEMarge, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it was Dr. Paul Cheney who rx'd Amantadine (antiviral) usually used to treat Type-A influenza virus and is sometimes used in ME/CFS for its stimulating properties.

alktipping likes this.
  9. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I keep thinking of that quoted tweet of Dr Amy Small (I think IIRC)

Having long-covid symptoms she acknowledged that as a dr she had no idea what people meant when talking about post viral fatigue. Fatigue seemed inadequate. I'm restating this but I believe this was the gist.

Doctors inevitably think that people who come in with chronic symptoms of pain and / or fatigue are equivalent to what they have experienced in their lives if they ever had these symptoms in some acute illness or physical trauma.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This

11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was used to treat herpesvirus and cocaine addiction so it was embarrassing to collect from the chemist :)

I was given it in 1985 but it did not help my fatigue. It may have influenced my results that I had a 9 month old baby who slept for 2 hours a day.