1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Obstacles to recruitment in paediatric studies focusing on mental health in a physical health context: the experiences of.., 2019, Loades et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Crawley's team churn another paper out.
    Open access at https://bmcmedresmethodol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12874-019-0730-z

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmm...just from reading the above;

Aren't 'gatekeepers' supposed to keep people who shouldn't be there out? They surely shouldn't be metaphorically dragging people in off the street to get the numbers up. There's another name for people who do that that escapes me ATM, but it's not 'gatekeeper'. 'Tout' maybe?

Thematic analysis? I didn't know what it was so I googled it. The information gained is quite alarming if used as part of 'science'. Totally subjective and subject to both bias and fatigue/boredom/'it's hot and I want to go to the pub' effects. Extremely so. To such an extent I can't see it not happening if the person doing it is alive and there is any significant amount of data, beyond an hour or 2, no matter if they are acting with integrity or not. People have limitations, and thematic analysis seems designed to provoke them and produce bias.

I can see it's use in market research, but in science?

Just my concerns from a quick read of the above.

It is not surprising that EC's team is involved in this 'research'.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So now they are studying their own studies. Or rather the difficulties of recruiting to their endless stream of studies. Good to see one of the findings from interviewing the clinicians in their clinic about their role in recruiting patients to their studies is that they are doing too many studies!

The focus seems to be particularly on a study of the prevalence mental health problems, and specifically depression in newly diagnosed CFS patients at the clinic, to be carried out by a structured interview which included intrusive questions about sex and drugs.

No wonder the clinicians were reluctant to recruit children to this ill conceived trial. As some of them said, if a child is already distressed, you're not going to add this burden to them, and if they are coping well, they and their parents will not see the point, and the doctor will feel it's inappropriate to ask them to take part in a mental health study when the have a physical illness.
    So with biases in recruitment, it's a non starter as an epidemiological study anyway.

This is another of the Crawley/Loades studies dreamed up - during a coffee break, no doubt.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this an elaborate Dunning-Kruger experiment? Their entire body of work is built on doing selective filtering of participants who do not have the disease they incompetently allege expertise in yet cannot properly define.

This is the kettle criticizing the pot for not being as shiny as it is.

That's what happens when people are made to fall backwards. Even when they cheat their way through they convince themselves of their own merit despite leaving nothing but failure behind them. They have no idea what they're doing.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like if colleagues don't like your studies they won't recruit to them. And quite right too.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

not read it but hoping this means their reputation is going before them

wondering if clinicians are now aware they didnt get proper ethics for the school study

I mean thinking about it from my work if someone somewhere was publicly criticising one of our colleagues it would definitely be known about on the grapevine

7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was a study about depression in pediatric CFS. Sounds like the recruiters were tired of the constant recruitment into studies and don't see much value or need for the study in question.

“there is a danger of getting research overload so I think it suffered a bit because it came on the back of all the other trials we’d done and we’d just finished recruiting and people heaved a sigh of relief and said can we have a little window off recruiting please”

“…there were around four or five research projects, seem to be, seemingly on the go at any one time…and that is confusing.”

“…because it’s got depression in the title and um I think um you it just seems a little bit more explanation um by inviting them to take part I’m not suggesting that they are depressed…”

“…sometimes you won’t even think of it if you’ve got a patient who clearly isn’t depressed at all is coping extremely well it doesn’t even cross your mind to enter them into something called the depression study so I think the name of the study is wrong it should be called you know mood in chronic fatigue or something to help people think it’s for everyone, we’re just as interested in people who don’t have depression as people who do. So the name was wrong”

“…it doesn’t lead to additional help or additional resource or anything, it is simply, um a snapshot of the people coming through which is very valuable …but look what’s – what’s the benefit for the client?”

Indeed, that is a good question. What has Crawley's work done for patients?

inox, LadyBirb, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Two words: Methodological rigour.

See above response.

rvallee likes this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps cognitive dissonance is a protective measure. Bottom line is that too few people actually want to participate.

Whilst i have no direct experience, from parents forums there was often a perception that it was a Hobson' s choice situation for some, and others had been pestered so much to take part that they gave in.

I would imagine newly diagnosed are more likely to participate.

rvallee, NelliePledge, Wonko and 2 others like this.