1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) for chronic pain

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Hoopoe, Jun 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does this work? It seems like a good compound for ME/CFS.

DokaGirl likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Can you explain what it is and point us to any evidence that leads you to suggest it might be useful?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  3. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merylg, MEMarge and DokaGirl like this.
  4. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's meant to be a mast cell stabiliser and useful for Neuropathic pain. I could not tolerate it (not unusual).

5. Hoopoe

It supposedly reduces chronic pain by acting on mast and glia cells and reducing neuroinflammation. It was listed as one of the first line treatments for neuropathic pain on an Italian website. Most studies seem to be of low quality. One study showed objective evidence of nerve healing. I wasn't able to muster the energy to properly assess the evidence base myself.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    MEMarge, Trish and DokaGirl like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Glia and microglia in particular elaborate pro-inflammatory molecules that play key roles in central nervous system (CNS) disorders from neuropathic pain and epilepsy to neurodegenerative diseases. Microglia respond also to pro-inflammatory signals released from other non-neuronal cells, mainly those of immune origin such as mast cells. The latter are found in most tissues, are CNS resident, and traverse the blood–spinal cord and blood–brain barriers when barrier compromise results from CNS pathology. Growing evidence of mast cell–glia communication opens new perspectives for the development of therapies targeting neuroinflammation by differentially modulating activation of non-neuronal cells that normally control neuronal sensitization – both peripherally and centrally. Mast cells and glia possess endogenous homeostatic mechanisms/molecules that can be up-regulated as a result of tissue damage or stimulation of inflammatory responses. Such molecules include the N-acylethanolamine family. One such member, N-palmitoylethanolamine is proposed to have a key role in maintenance of cellular homeostasis in the face of external stressors provoking, for example, inflammation. N-Palmitoylethanolamine has proven efficacious in mast-cell-mediated experimental models of acute and neurogenic inflammation. This review will provide an overview of recent progress relating to the pathobiology of neuroinflammation, the role of microglia, neuroimmune interactions involving mast cells and the possibility that mast cell–microglia cross-talk contributes to the exacerbation of acute symptoms of chronic neurodegenerative disease and accelerates disease progression, as well as promoting pain transmission pathways. We will conclude by considering the therapeutic potential of treating systemic inflammation or blockade of signalling pathways from the periphery to the brain in such settings.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3930370/

7. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For inflammation, I find the Meriva form of curcumin really helpful as well as CBD oil capsules.

MEMarge likes this.
  8. merylg

merylg Established Member (Voting Rights)

I tried PEA again yesterday afternoon & got good relief from severe myalgia.

Nothing else was helping. No relief from Paracetamol, Hydrocortisol, Hemp Oil, Curcumin, Magnesium orotate. Cannot tolerate NSAIDs (get gastric ulceration).
    Was considering going to a pain clinic.