Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, he's been spotted prowling outside. Hopefully the locks will hold.

I might replace "reprehensible" with "slightly tragic attention-seeking" though.

Starlight, sebaaa, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spellcheck: The woof.

Starlight, MEMarge, JoanneS and 18 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Garner has been banned from the Long Covid Apheresis Community facebook group after a community vote.

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right, because why would he need apheresis after all, if he is all recovered?

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has there been any sign of him complaining or whinging or tweeting about this?

8. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Suspect most of us have blocked him for the benefit of our sanity! But, I’ve taken one for the team and had a look..

He’s retweeted/entered a few convos about microclots (obviously, nothing positive about them) including some piece written by Deb Cohen, who, I think was the BBC journalist who had him on Newsnight and Natalie Shure who I recall wrote some god-awful piece on ME or LC recently.

So, perhaps this is him limbering up to more gnashing of teeth about activist/militant patients shutting him down and it’s those pesky ME folks that are leading the charge to have him cancelled - or some-such bilge.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And others, apparently. I guess word of mouth got around.

I remember Vogt tried this a few times on Reddit. It did not go well.

It's truly amazing how these people can be so delusional about how they are perceived. They'll still go around thinking that the right patients like their stuff. You know, the ones who would have recovered anyway. It's really staggering the dept of this ideology, how perverse it can be.

10. rvallee

Given his recent Cochrane review, likely trying to badmouth the community. Probably in the Norwegian press, or something like that. Do a bit like what Afflicted did to the participants. That was truly revolting stuff.

11. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd worry about something like this, picking out comments or behaviors then refer to his observations generally.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  12. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Im sure this will be ascribed to militancy and evil ME activists. The militants with transnational tentacles and the ability to browbeat public health organizations, governments, academics, and Nobel winners. It couldn’t be that Garner is actually wrong.

13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The difficult thing is that Garner has chosen a Facebook group on aphaeresis to bring his truth to, to save people from themselves. And, he probably does have actual truth on his side as he does that. I think most of us would share his concerns about clinics making money by providing an unevidenced treatment to desperate people. Perhaps it's a cunning plan, perhaps it's just a happy coincidence for him, but he's making the criticism we would make of him rather complicated.

But, we don't see him coming here to engage with us about the ideas that CBT, GET or the Lightning Process will fix us, and that it's just our fear of life or exercise that is keeping us sick. He doesn't seem to understand that the very BPS views that he supports have helped make people desperate. Those BPS views have historically made the field of ME/CFS horribly unattractive to most smart clinicians and researchers and, instead, happy hunting ground for pedlars of woo of all sorts.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  14. dratalanta

dratalanta Established Member (Voting Rights)

Paul Garner has indeed been touting his free speech credentials:
    https://www.livpost.co.uk/p/tinker-tailor-teacher-spy-the-liverpool

Sending death threats is absolutely unacceptable, and it's quite wrong (and illegal) for anyone to have made physical threats against Professor Garner or anyone else. That is not part of academic free speech or any other kind of free speech.

I agree with Professor Garner that researchers should have 'unrestricted liberty' to question established ideas and theories. I hope, then, he will agree that it was disappointing that JNNP decided to take down a plainly worded but perfectly legal Rapid Response questioning the ideas and theories put forward in the article to which he put his name.

15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If it actually happened, and the provenance of the alleged threats is properly established.

If.
    It is, of course, a qualified immunity. In return for that freedom and protection, and their expertise derived authority, academics are required to rigorously adhere to a vastly higher methodological and ethical standard than the layperson.

And there's the rub: He doesn't.

You, Prof. Garner, are among the last in this world to be lecturing anybody on civil honest debate about critical technical issues.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  16. rvallee

Sure but I'll freely say that I don't care. It has nothing to do with us. At all. Not even one bit. Blaming a community of millions on the behavior of a few is despicable behavior. It's wrong in every single way.

Just as we shouldn't blame the entire medical community for his own misbehavior, and that of his fellow fanatics, even though it applies far more since many of them choose to exert coercive power over us while the rest, at least, tacitly approve by doing nothing about it. Even though they are technically supposed to.

Lots of people get abuse, even death threats, on a regular basis and generally for ridiculous reasons. I'm sorry but this is completely irrelevant and he is fully in control of the abuse he gets. He is deliberately antagonizing the entire patient population by being insulting, by goading this abuse with clear purpose, that he and his fellow quacks then use, as here, to excuse their own immoral pursuit.

It justifies nothing but, again, literally has nothing to do with us. We are not an organization, an institution or anything like that. This is mindless bleating used to excuse his horrible behavior and I don't care one bit if he feels bad about it. Which he probably doesn't, if the precedent of the PACE ideologues is any indication.

Receipt for how much they don't even care and it doesn't affect their lives one bit:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  17. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If these 'researchers' abi1ity to reason is so poor that they equate past vio1ence by activists that required 'new terror 1aws' with comp1aints to the GMC then quite frank1y I don't want them app1ying themse1ves to researching my medica1 condition...

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I would love to see a robust compare and contrast of their claims with those a range of public figures (politicians, actors, climate scientists, etc), and every private citizen online who just happens to be female, are actually subject to in order see just how 'bad' the alleged harassment and threats really are.

I bet the Garners and Wesselys and Sharpes and Chalders and Crawleys of this world will be exposed as ruthlessly weaponising bogus complaints and accusations to defame a whole community of sick people, and deflect legitimate and long overdue scrutiny of their own behaviour.

As many of you would recall, I have long argued we should demand a formal public inquiry (in the UK), with serious legal teeth, into the exact nature and seriousness and extent and provenance of these alleged threats. Until then those making the allegations will continue unrestrained with their disgusting lies and smears.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EzzieD, SNT Gatchaman, Mij and 6 others like this.