Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just watched this segment on the BBC. Both were being presented as experts, but were discussing personal experience. Should this not have been made a lot clearer?!

The plural of anecdote is not data

sebaaa, Helene, fivetowns and 24 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personally, I don't condemn the BMJ for publishing an opinion piece. That would only seem justifiable if they had refused to publish responses, and they haven't. Last night I saw that one response had been deleted, presumably because it was abusive or off-topic, but a number of strongly worded, highly critical responses, some written by fellow health professionals, have been published.

It's about the fact that someone who, despite being in a very good position to know better, nevertheless decided to submit the article. Lots of people have written personal, emotional, poorly-informed pieces online, especially at times of illness and stress. The difference is that they used social support forums, not their professional journals.

3. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, alktipping, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The responses that were posted and then deleted that I'm aware of were because of an error that made a key sentence say the opposite of what was intended, and a reply pointing that out.
    Any posts that were unacceptable because of abuse or irrelevance wouldn't have made it through the moderation process, so we wouldn't be aware of them.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure that decided to submit the article necessarily gives the right impression of events.
    I strongly suspect that he was more or less invited to do so, maybe having mentioned his recovery to chums who are also chums with the editorial staff. That is usually how journal's work.

sebaaa, Oni, Helene and 23 others like this.
  6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, and is there usually some kind of checking of the content of opinion pieces or can people just say what they want (within reason) with little oversight?

And to people get paid to write editorials?

7. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS-patients who would exercise like he did but who would get worse would be blamed for boom and bust behaviour. (resp. all-or-nothing-behaviour because of an alleged perfectionist personality)

His exercise style sounds much more like Lightning Process and not so much like classic GET (first establishing a baseline than gradually increasing exercise)

sebaaa, ladycatlover, Alton and 8 others like this.
  8. Trish

From the guidelines for writing BMJ opinion pieces.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj-opinion
    And from the editor of BMJ Opinion when I tried submitting my 'beware snake oil sellers' article:

So the answer is that most BMJ opinon pieces are commissioned.

sebaaa, Helene, ladycatlover and 22 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. Trish

Excellent as ever, thank you @dave30th. Would it be worth you contacting Prof Garner to share your concerns, since he has already been in touch with you.

11. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gerada says: “I don’t know what the pathophysiology is but I certainly had problems with my muscles.”

There seems to be an inconsistency here. If she subscribes to the CBT/GET models, why does she appear to rule out the possibility that she was suffering from unhelpful illness beliefs? There is no evidence that she had any ongoing pathology and she can’t possibly have become significantly “deconditioned” in 7 days, so, if the BPS model is correct, it must have been her beliefs that were perpetuating her symptoms and preventing her from being able exercise at her normal level. I wonder if her BPS friends would interpret her claim that she’d rather have cut her legs off than experience the muscle pain as evidence of “catastrophizing”?

On the other hand, if she believes she had some ongoing unidentified pathology, as she appears to, why is she so certain that there are not similar unidentified pathologies which prevent other people from being able to do far less and/or increase their level of activity? It’s logically inconsistent, as with so much of their thinking.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    sebaaa, Kirsten, Woolie and 35 others like this.
  12. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've wondered about that. I feel that I gave a talk to his group in good faith, and now I feel like he's said "fuck you" to me as well as to patients. I might send him the post. I don't know.

sebaaa, Chezboo, Oni and 45 others like this.
  13. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A problem with getting through the point that PG is not discussing science and with regard to C Gerada's point that exercise is always good is Boris Johnson.

Having had covid he now also has a personal trainer and bikes to work. Reinforcement at the highest level. I'm sure they (BPS) feel they can say just about anything they like with impunity. Just about. It seems they can create zealots that can go too far in self contradiction even for them.

14. Trish

There was no indication given that Boris Johnson had long Covid, so the point doesn't really apply to him.

15. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What they (CG and PG) don't seem to talk about is how they managed to resume housework.

sebaaa, TiredSam, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  16. Trish

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    If you can pay a personal trainer, I'm sure you can pay a cleaner.

sebaaa, Woolie, ladycatlover and 12 others like this.
  17. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Good point.

alktipping, tmrw, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There will be careful checking but since the editor will have known what was likely to come the checking may not bhquite the sort of checking others might perform!

I don't think people get paid for this sort of thing. There are plenty of self-important people happy to provide opinions. As Trich points out there are even more non-self-important people in the wings.

sebaaa, FMMM1, Joan Crawford and 7 others like this.
  19. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Besides not having long Covid, I think that Boris Johnson wanted to exercise more due to his obesity. In this sense I think he is trying to be more of a 'role model' with regarding to following a healthy lifestyle, of which exercise is just one aspect.

Joan Crawford, alktipping and Sarah94 like this.
  20. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is my experience when I've written opinion posts for some US journals when I know an editor. I check in with the editor if they're interested first and then the piece is edited in-house but not sent out for peer review. That is likely the case here. I wouldn't think money would enter into it at all.