Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Tells us far more about what is going on in the minds of those who claim such a privileged epistemological position, than it does about those they are making such judgements about.

2. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Kitty , she is already aware of the draft guidelines :thumbsup:

The comment re Bath cfsme Clinic related to the LongCovid clinics, now being offered.

Subsequent messages show many #LC advocates are now becoming aware of the ‘services’ they will be offered......

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356737171496046594

Done :thumbup:

ETA Not an MECFS diagnosis. Ref to Bath related to ‘Long Covid services’

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    ukxmrv, Michelle, sebaaa and 12 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, Woolie, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, Milo, Invisible Woman and 6 others like this.
  5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mij, Michelle, Kitty and 19 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

MSEsperanza, Sarah94, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

What I really don't understand is, why do these people just dig themselves in deeper, lash out at their critics, when it would be so easy to apologise?

"Apologies for the confusion, I suggested the other day that exercise is good for all medical problems. It is more accurate to say that exercise is good for many, but not all medical problems"

"Apologies for falsely giving the impression that I made myself better by being positive. I would like to acknowledge that there was a lot of luck involved. I'm in no way implying that those who don't recover are at fault for not being positive enough. I'd also like to thank the people with ME and Long Covid who helped and supported me during my illness... I'm truly grateful and your advice was very valuable".

How easy would that be? But no, we gotta play the misunderstood victim, the injured party.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Worth remembering that these are the 0.1% of medics who find they have a need to advertise themselves on twitter through blurting out trendy opinions. The Alain de Botton thread is apt. There is a desperate need to be loved perhaps.

10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why not be loved by saying these magical words: we got it wrong with ME and want to make it right now. Let's talk how to make this happen.

They won't do this because they're trying to maintain the illusion of being perfect.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe ask M. de Botton.

12. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NPD.png
    While I'm no fan of labelling people with these types of generalised non-specific disorders I scrolled for narcissism and this picture spoke volumes :) Titter

13. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've only had a brief read but that's a shocker.

To blatantly state it's not "all in your head" and then present a psychological explanation for the condition, no biomed information at all or context and so on - aka IAIYH. Beyond madness. I hope this gets challenged - this is all about increasing activity - aka CBT/GET - which hopefully NICE will continue to drop in the published guidelines. There will defo be no excuses then.

14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Look at me! Look at meeeeeeeeeeeeee!

15. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only a couple of months to go for NICE now :)

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Narcissist never apologize and love to block people. They always need to feel loved. Trust me, I grew up with one.

17. Esther12

I saw some genuinely unpleasant and unreasonable tweets sent to them, and I've not seen those responsible apologise, so a lot of that could apply to them too.

Also, on a personal story front, is it innately worse to imply that you improved your health by being positive rather than, for example, that your health was made worse by GET?

I feel as if I'm viewing this dispute from a totally different perspective to a lot of the people posting here. My expectation is that to most of those in academia, and the general public, those criticising Garner (accepting the assumption that it's legitimate to group them all together) will seem much worse than Garner himself.

JemPD, sebaaa, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  18. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She said that exercise was good for everything and it has been pointed out to her that there are some conditions that exercise is not good for. She was wrong on a fact she had stated so people corrected her. I have made mistakes of fact on this forum and when people have corrected me I have apologised and learnt something.

19. Esther12

She makes a big thing of saying 'in moderation', which could be interpreted as making her claim pretty meaningless, but I certainly see Gerada as way worse than Garner.

20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the difference is that most of us don't think it's true that they'll see it that way. Undoubtedly some will, of course, but that's why it's important to object. It's not acceptable for influential people to punch down at those with chronic illness.

(Small edits for clarity!)

ladycatlover, sebaaa, Woolie and 14 others like this.