Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They did a prerecord with Dr Shepherd and PG is rumoured to be involved too.

MSEsperanza likes this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Deb Cohen did the piece on science controversy re Covid-19 with Wessely and Gerada. I think of her as connected to that sort from other interactions I've seen, but that could be a misleading impression I've got.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    MSEsperanza, alktipping and Adam pwme like this.
  3. Esther12

Just quickly searched twitter:
    upload_2021-4-8_22-29-12.png

MSEsperanza, Wyva and Dolphin like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

great. can't wait for the broadcast.

5. Esther12

Anyone able to record a copy for those without the BBC?

MSEsperanza, Dolphin and alktipping like this.
  6. Adam pwme

I’m on it

Sly Saint, MSEsperanza, Sean and 4 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From a member of Physios for ME on Twitter.

"@BBCNewsnight report on #longcovid unfortunately gave too much focus on @PaulGarnerWoof. Well done Charles @MEAssociation for flagging up the importance of #stoprestpace not #GET for people with #LongCovid developing signs of #ME. #Physios please go to longcovidphysio.com"

"1. @PaulGarnerWoof says #LongCovid 'just does not fit the biomedical model' really? What is causing all of the longcovid symptoms? As a Professor of immunology I would expect you to want to research why some people have a positive response to the vaccine. @LongCOVIDPhysio"

8. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread.

Ten minute segment on Newnight looking at the 'controversy' over how to treat LC and ME/CFS, but isn't very balanced and gives the impression (by focusing on the opinion of medics, not evidence) that patients just need to exercise and tackle their fears. Starts at 31 mins.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tzkd/newsnight-08042021

edit: new summary

There was a good intro at the top of the programme). It did mention scientific scrap over PACE (while showing tweets on screen claiming patient harassment) and NICE recommending against exercise "for now". But it focused on clinicians whose opinion was that exercise and psychosocial treatments were the answer. No evidence to support effectiveness was presented. The reporter has worked for the BMJ in the past.

The piece started with Paul Garner and closed with him saying "it just doesn't fit the biomedical model".

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    FMMM1, Michelle, Hutan and 22 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On most days I'm able to do a 20 minute walk and have done so for the last year or two. This has no noticable positive effect on the illness. Doing more than what I can tolerate quickly leads to a worsening. It does seem to lower heart rate somewhat and maintain some fitness that would otherwise be lower but I don't count that as effect on the illness.

TiredSam, alktipping, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  10. Adam pwme

11. Adam pwme

alktipping, Esther12 and ukxmrv like this.
  12. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@PhysiosforME thanks for your Tweets re Paul Garner.

I don't think he is an Immunologist. His field is more Infectious disease/epidemiology.

13. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It seems like a very poor piece and not in the normal newnight style of challenging those making claims. I notice the journalist who did the piece used to work at the BMJ so I suspect a large amout of bias there.

They mentioned PACE but not by name and suggested the controversy was around patients not wanting the trial to happen due to the type of treatment rather picking up on the very poor trial and the way it was run and the results were spun. They also showed Gardner's tweet where he retweeted Sharpes complaints about attacks and talked of 'personal attacks' rather than that patients were pointing out their scientific failures. They did show some tweets in response to Gardner but they didn't reflect what people were saying or the criticism of him promoting an anacdote.

Altogether a poor quality report.

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So what is all his bullshit about autonomic responses and brains doing funny things about?

I don't think the 'positive responses' to vaccines are a good argument, though. Same unreliable evidence as peddled by people like Garner and Vogt and so on. The biomedical model takes on board bias due to suggestibility - which is why we do blinded trials rather than PACE.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2021
  15. Adam pwme

Garner part of the correspondents “Debs” support network

81086FAC-228A-4AB0-A4DA-7855B3E5536A.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Michelle, Hutan, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yet another example of a journalist doing a superficial report and getting it wrong. Charles Shepherd did his best, but came across as a lone voice and I suspect had most of his useful points cut to fit the journalist's narrative. The general impression left was that increasing exercise overcoming fear of exercise are the right treatment and that the problems over CFS are about patients not liking the treatment and attacking researchers, not about science. Very poor quality item.

alktipping, Michelle, Hutan and 19 others like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am certain that a piece like this does not get onto the BBC without considerable networking endeavours by the BPS crowd, and exploiting their influence to the hilt. I'm sure it also fits well with various politically driven bean counters. The influence for doing such a piece, and driving its tone and content, will be very potent.

alktipping, Sean, Michelle and 19 others like this.
  18. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BBC seems very happy to go along with this narrative. How can this ever change?

alktipping, Leila, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  19. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If only they had interviewed a patient with severe ME/CFS who tried GET/CBT only to get worse afterwards. What a different episode it would have been.

20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Selective truths are the name of the game.

alktipping, Sean, Mij and 16 others like this.