1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

PEM induced only by sensory/cognitive exertion - what does it indicate about the pathophysiology of ME?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by cassava7, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, this is the way it feels for me too.

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also have a numb 'buzzing' at the back of my head/top of neck - sort of like the feeling I get when woken at the wrong time.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes but always. It gets worse, though. Feels like it's numb, as if anesthetized.

duncan, Simbindi, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brain fog is the reason most of my posts are as long as they are. Being succinct and brief is extremely difficult.

I have an awful lot of headaches.

I think I am nearly always in cognitive PEM or hovering on the edge at least.

Physically there's a slight buzzing in the forehead, a feeling of pressure that's quite different to sinus pain.

I get a strong feeling of pressure across the top of my head from above ear level - regardless of whether I'm lying down or not. This increases as cognitive PEM gets worse.

From there I get a very odd feeling as though the brain or contents of my head are congealing and hardening - I know there are no nerves in the brain so I don't know what that might be. It is unpleasant and becomes painful if I persist.

In terms of how thinking feels - it's a bit like being very drunk but without the relaxed feeling. This will continue to get worse until I can't really think at all. I hate this bit more than anything, even more than the pain.

5. borko2100

borko2100 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a similar thing, feels more like pressure rather than a headache and is located in the middle of my face. The strange thing is when I have overdone things the previous day this headache gets worse too.

Invisible Woman and Wyva like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just throwing a thought out and wondering . . . I wonder about the possibility that the pain may be originating from the jaw area as muscles there tighten while trying to focus. And that pain radiates and is felt elsewhere with various neurological symptoms (buzzing numbness etc)

Any thoughts?

Michelle and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! thats exactly what i mean, anesthetized

yeah, me too.

It's interesting that so many of us seem to have this peculiar sensation at the front/top/face.

rvallee, Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I dont think so. I do get jaw pain sometimes due to the fact that i clench/grind my teeth when i am angry. This is very different from that. It doesnt feel in any way skeletal. I get tension headaches in my forehead/behind the eyes too & its not like them either, it's just different from anything i'd experienced pre ME - except as i said, being stoned.

rvallee and Invisible Woman like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see that might be a confounding factor for some - I used to clench my jaw when concentrating and grind my teeth when angry or asleep. It can cause pain and headaches but they don't feel the same.

I spent a lot of time with a great physio at one point & looked at posture,.supported rest & so forth and included head, neck and jaw problems. I broke the habit of clenching my jaw but still grind my teeth when asleep so use a guard that prevents that.

This isn't a factor for me at this stage.

JemPD, Snowdrop and Wonko like this.