1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

PEM: Swimming compared to other activities?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Snow Leopard, Jan 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In another thread, I noted that swimming leads to a difference balance in motor unit recruitment compared to land based activities and tends to favour a much greater rate of oxygen consumption for a given heart rate.

I was not much of a swimmer when I was young and haven't picked it up since as I've been ill since my teenage years, so I don't have much personal experience to reflect upon.

I am curious as to how ME/CFS has affected your ability to swim, how PEM affects your ability and the pattern between swimming leading to specific PEM symptoms, as compared to walking/running/cycling?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went freshwater swimming last summer. It felt like a much more intense activity than walking, but with a blunted PEM response.

I need frequent pauses when swimming. Maybe that affects the PEM response.

Stepping out of the water is hard for the body, presumably because the water improves orthostatic tolerance and the body has to suddenly adjust to this change.

I also tend get very sleepy shortly after and need to lie down and have a nap.

Being in the water feels good.

Swimming or perhaps merely being in the water for a while improves sleep, helps to relax. Other physical activities of such intensity would make it harder to relax and would worsen sleep.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[my bold]

Interesting. I have no knowledge of physiology, but it would be interesting to know if this is "simply" due to the likelihood that breathing cycles are probably synchronised differently with exertion cycles when swimming. Do we know if the oxygen/power ratio is similarly affected when swimmers use snorkels for instance?

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In a word, no. It reflects the pattern of muscle/motor unit recruitment for the activity. When conducting a CPET, the participant is necessarily breathing through a tube (whether water or land based) and this does not significantly affect ventilation at all (well, once the individual is psychologically used to the apparatus).

Also, it might be incorrect to say 'for a given power output', so I amended the first post to say heart rate which is correct.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think when reviewing the effect of swimming on ME, it's important to take into account the effect of the travel, dressing and undressing, walking to the sea or pool, change in temperature depending on whether the water is warmed, etc etc. If a comparison is to be made with, say, walking, I think the person would need to do all those other activities as well, not just replicate the swimming time with walking time.

My only experiences were when my ME was mild, and I found just going through all the prep stages and getting in and out of the pool took so much out of me there was nothing left to test whether swimming was possible. But I'm not someone who likes or is good at swimming.

6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1) Much less power/speed, slightly less endurance;

2) Less pain, less PEM for apparently more effort;

3) Only comparing against daily living, as unable to walk or cycle well enough to measure.

No knowledge of physiology, but:

1) Prone/supine position during effort may have small effect;

2) Low temperature also – pools kept cool b/c swimming in warm water drains energy;

3) Less sure about water pressure on vascular system b/c of high position in water, but could be a factor.

@Trish makes good points about associated effort. I swim well, but need hoist to get out.

7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We should find out whether physical activity in cold temperature has a blunted PEM response.

8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

That's definitely not my experience from hiking in winter. Then again, I would not be cold due to warm clothing.

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I swam for most of the first five years when I was mildly affected but undiagnosed. I eventually got up to 1000 metres four times a week (or 6 miles/10 km cycling) which I kept up religiously for over a year (getting my exercise was pretty much the most important thing in my life). Anyway, I found I needed to rest for around 30 seconds after each 50 metres (2 lengths).

10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a fear of water (aquaphobia) which leads to a natural fear of exercise in water :D When I was trying to float in my buildings heated pool, I would fatigue a lot quicker from the warm water and extra arm movements.

That would be a definite- no.

Kitty, Snow Leopard, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I enjoy being in water, floating, cool or warm

if I try swimming it is less successful than walking despite the float effect helping take my weight. in fact I have had cramp in my calf on more than one occasion when having a little swim, which I don’t get from walking

12. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't notice and difference in PEM between +30C and -40C.

Swimming in my creek in winter would require considerably more effort. That water is hard! :D

Kitty, andypants, Missense and 3 others like this.
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any type of exercise (including slow walking) in temperatures above 27 C would negatively affect my ANS thus making PEM feel worse. Freezing temperatures are ok unless there's a cold wind blowing in my face and slippery snow which leaves me out of breath and more fatigued.

Kitty, Snow Leopard, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't been swimming since coming down with ME/CFS. Unless floating in the kid's pool counts?? ;)

Kitty, Snow Leopard, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  15. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too aerobic for me now... walking is my best ‘exercise’. I used to enjoy triathlons but I cant do any of those activities now. I could probably swim slowly for a couple of minutes.. but i now get cramps and raynauds from cold water!

Kitty, TiredSam, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  16. mat

mat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get headache soon when I try to swim and also surprisingly exhausted. My heart begins to bump very soon. Maybe it's the chloride, I'm not sure. But fresh or cold water makes me freeze immediately, so wild water isn't a choice either. So swimming is a no go for me. I swam a lot during my childhood, btw.

Kitty, Snow Leopard, Hoopoe and 2 others like this.
  17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I can't even have a bath now, warm water makes me so dopey. It's a shame, because I used to enjoy wallowing in a hot bath, but I haven't had one in the last 7 years, just not worth the risk. As for swimming, in my first year of ME I managed a very leisurely swim in the sea in Italy and enjoyed it, but that was a week when I was doing absolutely nothing else, and I haven't tried since then. As for public swimming pools, I had been going off the idea of splashing around in other people's pee for some time even before I got ME.

Walking slowly in the fresh air is best for me. I try to go for at least one 2-hour slow walk per week now, and always feel much better for the fews days afterwards. It's been 7 years since a bit of exercise made me feel better the next day instead of worse.

18. kikala

kikala Established Member

I'm too sick to swim at all now, but for many years I could tolerate swimming better than any other aerobic activity. Swimming for 10 minutes or so caused far less fatigue or PEM than walking for 10 minutes. Sometimes I would even feel *good* afterward (a shockingly rare experience!). I'm not sure if it was being in the water, being horizontal, or what, but it was noticeably different.

19. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found no difference between swimming and other forms of physical activity when it comes to producing PEM and crashes. I swam a few times over the years to test if it would be better and it produces the same delayed onset crash I would get by walking too much etc.

20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Swimming pools tend to be loud, echoey, out of focus, cold, and wet.

With random, yelling, moving, obstructions.

As such it's not somewhere I would consider going, and haven't since I was a child (when in order to minimise the overload I used to spend a lot of time sitting on the bottom in the deep end - I could hold my breath for several minutes).

Last time I went to a pool was several years later, when I was about 19/20.

I really did not enjoy the experience so haven't been to one since.

Even without ME they are hellish places as far as I am concerned.

Hundreds of millions of years of evolution to get out of the damn water, and what do people do.....