1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Perrin Technique

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Sly Saint, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEAction promoting a Perrin Technique course on Twitter....

"A Perrin Technique Workshop will be held in Asheville, NC, this July 9th-10th for training with Dr. Raymond Perrin, DO, PhD—British osteopath, neuroscientist, and creator of the Perrin Technique."

"This workshop is for osteopaths, physical therapists, and other manual therapists with a basic knowledge of cranial techniques. The course has been approved for 13 CEUs by the NCPT Board and 13 CMEs by the American Osteopathic Association."

"Learn how to help some of your most complex patients with neuro-lymphatic drainage disorders, ME/CFS, & Long COVID. If you are a PT, osteopath or manual therapist or if you have ME/ Long COVID & work with one & would be interested in them learning this technique, spread the word."

MEMarge and InitialConditions like this.
  3. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now my mum has met some guy who swears by Perrin and she wants to get me his book for Christmas.

Is it a waste of money? Is it bad of me to let her waste her money rather than tell her not to and sound like I am being negative?

Is this how cults start?

4. Trish

All we know is that there's no clinical trial evidence to support the Perrin Technique. And the bits I've read about his explanations of why his technique allegedly works looks like nonsense to me.

5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sometimes get lymphatic massage, but that might be different from Perrin. The lymphatic massage relieves twinges of discomfort I sometimes get in my breasts.

Peter Trewhitt and boolybooly like this.
  6. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The "toxicity" thinking seems symbological and muddled to me.

I dont buy lymph blockage as cause and cure of ME. As for anecdotes, LP claims as much and is definitely hocum. Any group of ME diagnosed patients will throw up some spontaneous recoveries, if they even have the same condition to start with.

I would not deny maybe there is potential palliative benefit in circulation therapy, as there is Puri's evidence of lactic acid build up in some PWME brains. There is ESR evidence for low blood volume and thickening in ME as well. Also evidence for fibrin amyloid microclots in long COVID. Maybe someone should quantify massage therapy in relation to these.

I view lactate as a byproduct of metabolic changes due to immunological ME, so would regard it as a secondary symptom. So I see addressing it as not likely to be curative.

I do use circulation therapy myself, with celery and beetroot in my diet, lots of hydration and occasional air massage baths, using a unit which blows air into a kind of mat with holes in which you lie on, pyrotherapy, also restricted yoga. That all helps palliatively. No point in throwing the baby out with the bath water!

As for mum I dare say sometimes it is the thought which counts. Nice of her to want to help, which is what wanting to get me the book really means.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lipedema Simplified 2023 Virtual Community Event Adds Dr. Raymond Perrin As Keynote Speaker

Lipedema Simplified 2023 Virtual Community Event Adds Dr. Raymond Perrin As Keynote Speaker | MENAFN.COM

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  8. Trish

Speechless. How do quacks do it. I guess the answer lies in university departments of health sciences or health psychology etc. which seem to be lowering their standards of research to let anyone get a PhD for any nonsense.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.