Petition: S4ME 2023 - Cochrane: Withdraw the harmful 2019 Exercise therapy for CFS review

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Hutan, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. Science For ME

Science For ME Forum Announcements

The committee received the following email from Cochrane on Tuesday 19th December, posted on the open letter thread, and also here for comments:

Dear Trish Davis and the Committee of Science for ME international forum,

Thank you for your correspondence, which has been referred to me.

We are committed to taking complaints seriously, and to following Cochrane's established processes and procedures. [1] For example, as we note on our website, [2] previous complaints on some of the issues you have raised were also made in 2020. Those were investigated by a sub-group of Cochrane’s Editorial Board and a Cochrane Coordinating Editor, who agreed that the published review did not warrant withdrawal based on those complaints.

Our procedures can involve referring complaints within the organization, for example, to our conflicts of interest panel. This depends on the matters raised within the complaints, not on who made the complaint.

We regret the lengthy delays to this project. As indicated in Hilda Bastian’s November report, [3] the next steps for this review are currently in planning. When there is a timetable and further details, this will be included in public updates. As also reported, since the review process will take some time, Cochrane will be working with the Independent Advisory Group on a revised editorial note with the aim of reducing the chances of misinterpreting the current review.

The Cochrane Governing Board is informed about developments relating to this review. I recognize that this email does not address the concerns and complaints you have sent in previous correspondence. However, the other matters you have raised are under review, and we will get back to you in due course.

Kind regards,

Jordi Pardo Pardo

Interim Chair. Cochrane Governing Board.

Ash, Nellie, Ariel and 12 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I assume this is a response to this section of our letter of 20th November
    So they are telling us that the complaint from the BPS people that led to over a year of meetings was at least in part based around their perception of conflicts of interest in the IAG. The fact that Hilda says the new IAG member to be appointed in the new year is for 'balance' and is to be a 'medical practitioner working with people with ME/CFS', suggests to me that they objected to there being 3 patient reps and only 2 clinicians on the IAG.

And this is telling us our assumption in our letter that our complaints are not being considered is wrong. Since we were making that assumption on the basis of the very confusing message in the previous letter from Cochrane, it is good at least to have confirmation that our complaints are being considered.

Ash, Michelle, RedFox and 15 others like this.
  4. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the Editor in Chief had enforced the advice of Gordon Guyatt to emphasise in the text of the review that the evidence indicated that exercise had "no important effect", then at least the review would be less likely to be misinterpreted. This is the part of my complaint I am still actively pursuing, which I consider as publication misconduct

However, my complaint was originally headlined around the two ratings errors rather than her ignoring Guyatt's advice on changing the text. I don't think I've made this shift in my emphasis clear enough so they still fob me off saying they have investigated and there are no serious errors in the review.

To "reduce the chance of misinterpreting the current review" it would be better to edit the review and add that caveat of "no important effect" to the plain language summary and/or the discussion, as advised by Guyatt, rather than add an editorial note. But I guess the authors would refuse to allow any further editing of the review itself. If that were the case, Cochrane would surely be within their rights to withdraw the review for "author insubordination" or whatever the technical term is. Why on earth do these authors have the power over Cochrane's Editor in Chief and also, it seems, the Trustees?

Michelle, MEMarge, Ariel and 20 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hi to all

following a flurry of signatures by Swiss PwME in the last couple of weeks the petition total now stands at 9780.

if you have social media accounts or a blog it would be great if you could do a seasonal share of the link to the petition, possibly after Christmas or in the new year

the open letter and petition will continue to be open to new supporters for as long as needed

NP x

Hutan, Fizzlou, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  6. Jonas Cienfuegos

Jonas Cienfuegos New Member

Yes, we covered it in the December 16 newsletter. We will also post it on social media at the beginning of the year.

Don't know whether iframe is possible here, but if so, you can read it below. Otherwise, with this link: https://a2ws3.r.sp1-brevo.net/mk/mr/sh/OycXxko2a8zXNWXitvBvW9TR/m9j4vRiOEKoc#GET

Code:
    <iframe src="https://a2ws3.r.sp1-brevo.net/mk/mr/sh/OycXxko2a8zXNWXitvBvW9TR/m9j4vRiOEKoc#GET" width="100%" height="300" style="border:1px solid black;">
    </iframe>

Hutan, Fizzlou, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Jonas:thumbup:

Hutan, Fizzlou, Binkie4 and 7 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have seen one or two family members. Hope they are interested. Fingers crossed.

Hutan, MEMarge, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merck Manual: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Professional version)

By Stephen Gluckman , MD, Perelman School of Medicine at The University of Pennsylvania
    Reviewed/Revised Jul 2023

Under "Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"
    • Acknowledgment of patient's symptoms

• Sometimes cognitive-behavioral therapy

• Sometimes graded exercise, limited to avoid a setback

• Medications for depression, sleep, or pain if indicated
    To provide effective care to patients with CFS, physicians must acknowledge and accept the validity of patients' symptoms. Whatever the underlying cause, these patients are not malingerers but are suffering and strongly desire a return to their previous state of health. For successful management patients need to accept and accommodate their disability, focusing on what they can still do instead of lamenting what they cannot do.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy and a graded exercise program have been helpful in some studies but not in others (1, 2). They should be considered for patients who are willing to try them and have access to the appropriate services. Depression is common and expected in any patient with a disability. This should be treated with antidepressants and/or psychiatric referral. Sleep disturbances should be aggressively managed with relaxation techniques and improved sleep hygiene (see table fibromyalgia) can be treated using a number of medications such as pregabalin, duloxetine, amitriptyline, or gabapentin. Physical therapy is also often helpful. Treatment for orthostatic hypotension may also be helpful.

Unproven or disproven treatments, such as antivirals, immunosuppressants, elimination diets, and amalgam extractions, should be avoided.

Treatment references
    • 1. Vink M, Vink-Niese A: Graded exercise therapy for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome is not effective and unsafe. Re-analysis of a Cochrane review. Health Psychol Open 5(2):2055102918805187, 2018. doi:10.1177/2055102918805187

• 2. Larun L, Brurberg KG, et al: Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews Issue 10. Art. No.: CD003200, 2019. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003200.pub8

This post has been copled and discussion moved to
    MSD Manual (US): Chronic fatigue syndrome - updated Apr 2020 and Sept. 2021

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2024
    Hutan, MEMarge, Midnattsol and 8 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

13. Trish

We're in a bit of a lull with this at the moment, but work on it hasn't stopped altogether.

From my point of view, we're waiting for a long list of things to happen:

The IAG (Independent Advisory Group to the new review process)

1. Hilda's next update on progress of the IAG and review.
    IAG Update | Thread

2. Hilda's promised explanation of her statement on her Talk page set up for communication between pwME and the IAG where she said on 11th November: “I don’t believe lobbying could get the Larun et al 2019 removed from The Cochrane Library, as I understand the current arguments and the Cochrane policy.”
    Talk page
    | Thread

3. Hilda's promised public consultation on a document the IAG prepared some time ago (a consultation first planned for autumn 2021)
    "We also plan to get the IAG’s first consultation underway in the early weeks of the new year. That is a consultation on a paper summarising past critiques of the Cochrane review – see my last report for more details."
    Hilda's December update

4. The planned revised editorial note the IAG are working on suggestions for, but that Cochrane editors will have the final say on.
    "As discussed in my last report, the editorial note on the current review on exercise and ME/CFS will be revised. The IAG has been considering the practice of editorial notes on Cochrane reviews, and discussing possible contents for the revised editorial note."
    Hilda's December update

5. News of the appointment of another member for the IAG
    The December 2023 report from Hilda says
    "There is one final vacant position on the IAG. A primary consideration in filling this position will be addressing concerns expressed about a perception of bias in the makeup of the IAG." This is expected to be filled by "a medical practitioner working with patients with ME/CFS." Nominations to be sent to Hilda by the end of January.
    Cochrane IAG Update | Thread

I think the choice of appointee will tell us a lot about the level of influence of the BPS people on the process, especially as this appointment seems to have been instigated by the prolonged and delaying process of Cochrane considering a complaint that wanted the old review to stay and the new review process closed down. Hilda has clarified that the new person must be a doctor who deals with ME patients. She is avoiding answering questions on what is meant by the aim of the appointment being to provide balance.
    "I realize the wording about the perception of bias is vague. I’m sorry about this, but I’m not going to expand on that – quite a bit of discussion went into alternatives before I decided vagueness was preferable."
    Talk page | Thread

6. News on the timetable for public consultation on the protocol.

Complaints

We await news on progress and outcome of Cochrane's handling of S4ME's five formal complaints submitted on 30th October 2023.
    The 5 complaints are:
    Complaint A: A failure of process - non removal of an outdated and incorrect review in the timescale promised.
    Complaint B:
    A failure of process - failure to follow normal procedure on a critical comment (this refers to Michiel Tack's comment posted by Cochrane with an editorial reply saying it would be dealt with in the new review process which is 'a priority'.)
    Complaint C: A failure of process - failure to take effective action for over two years by the Editor-in-Chief on the stalled new review process.
    Complaint D: A failure of process - the Editor-in-Chief's failure to address serious concerns from the public, and passing them, inappropriately, to the IAG that has no power to act on our requests, and has a non functioning email address.
    Complaint E: An important policy misjudgement - making the withdrawal of the 2019 review contingent on the publication of a new review.

(We highlighted here the evidence of ineffectiveness from NICE and the CDC, and evidence of harms)
    Complaint letter

On 19th December the S4ME committee received a response to our letter of a month earlier in which we assumed on the basis of previous correspondence that our complaints were not being considered. In this letter, Jordi Pardo Pardo, Interim Chair. Cochrane Governing Board clarifies the position. He says that some of the points we have raised had been considered already after complaints in 2020. And concludes his letter:
    "However, the other matters you have raised are under review, and we will get back to you in due course."
    Thread with letter

It appears from this reply that they are standing by their decision of 2020 not to withdraw the 2019 review in reponse to one or more complaints we were not aware of. I'm guessing they aren't willing to re-open that decision despite developments since 2020. So I'm guessing they are just going to do a fudged consideration of our more minor complaints of the editor not responding adequately initially to our letters.

From Hilda's latest update:
    Complaints and communication
    As a result of the complex internal restructuring Cochrane began in 2021, the organisation had a new communications team. Early in December I asked for a meeting with the people involved with managing complaints, to discuss issues with recent complaints and how responsiveness could be improved.

Complaints and questions are being sent to multiple individuals and addresses across Cochrane and the IAG, so coordination is critical to ensure that issues and concerns don’t fall through the cracks. Our meeting was very useful for clarifying our respective roles and expectations.

We agreed on pathways for referring complaints, along with continuing liaison. This should improve responsiveness in future. The Cochrane team had been working on several system improvements for some time, too, so there will be more to report on this soon.

Hilda's December update

S4ME committee actions

There is a lull in activity on this by the committee, as progress now largely depends on Cochrane, and all we can do is wait. We also have very limited capacity among committee members at the moment.

We still intend to formally submit the petition to Cochrane sometime soon and to consider any further action we can take.

One committee member has started work again on contacting more organisations to invite their support.

Another (me) is trying to write an article to submit to Cochrane through their comments system focusing specifically on harms, a subject they have completely avoided in all their communications in relation to the review, and with us and via Hilda, despite us specifically raising it in our letters and other comments received by Cochrane over the years addressing it.
    Progress on my article is glacially slow, as I find myself cognitively very limited at the moment. Just keeping up with the other forum stuff I do is using up most of my cognitive capacity. So don't expect anything soon.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    Hutan, Ash, RedFox and 25 others like this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for all the hard work people are putting into this issue.

Hutan, Ash, ahimsa and 18 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't forget the kitchen sink!

And I mean really this is literally all the issues raised from the start. They haven't addressed or delivered a single thing, they just let them pile up, even the complaints about throwing out the complaints about them just letting it all pile up.

Cochrane's approach to so-called evidence-based medicine embodies the worst aspects of a corrupt planned economy bureaucracy and crass capitalism working on the equivalent of snake oil NFTs. It's just excessive in all aspects, and none of the excesses are in the right direction. Truly impressive stuff, they are giving a masterclass that will be studied for centuries as a model of failure.

Ash, ahimsa, Binkie4 and 8 others like this.
  16. Trish

In creating Cochrane, they have somehow managed to create a beaurocratic monster that swallows up anything important in endless meetings, and red tape rule books that don't allow them to actually make sensible decisions for the good of people's health.

It appears that somewhere in their monster reorganisation process that's taken several years and seems to be still ongoing, they have managed to lose sight of whatever complaints process they had set up. From what Hilda says that I quoted above, they had no structure in place to deal with our letters or complaints.

Hutan, ahimsa, bobbler and 16 others like this.
  17. Caroline Struthers

This is my latest "we're not going to do anything" letter from COPE. I plan to challenge them on stating that the Trustees were "independent" when they made the decision not to investigate my allegation of publication misconduct. I have asked Cochrane how to make a complaint about the Trustees (who spookily both stood down at the same time, although Tracey Howe's term of office had not yet expired). The interim chair (Jordi Pardo Pardo) is a nice person. I have tried in the past to explain to him how Cochrane has messed up on this issue, but he is a true Cochrane belieber, so not sure he will be more helpful than any of his predecessors.

Dear Ms Struthers,

I am writing to you regarding the concerns you raised to COPE’s attention in relation to the Cochrane’ handling of a complaint you raised about the editor of Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.

As you are aware, we contacted the publisher for comments on your concerns about the editor's handling of post-publication concerns about two systematic reviews published in the journal. We received information from the publisher on their process to review your complaint, we thank the publisher for their response to our requests for comments on this matter.
    The publisher indicated that Cochrane has a documented process to handle complaints, and they followed their process for handling your complaint. The complaint was raised to the two Chairs of the Governing Board, who are independent from the editor of the journal. They completed an initial assessment of the complaint and reached a decision not to pursue a formal review as they considered that the complaint overlapped in scope with your earlier complaint previously reviewed by Cochrane.

COPE’s review is strictly focused on procedural matters and based on the information that we have received, we consider that the publisher followed an adequate process to handle your complaint. The COPE Core Practices - which replaced the COPE Code of Conduct several years ago - outline that journals should have a documented process to handle complaints. Based on the information we have received, Cochrane has a documented and public summary of their process for complaints and followed this in relation to the matter you raised. The determination on whether to pursue a full review of the complaint falls within the remit of decision making and beyond the scope of our review. We have no advice for the publisher beyond the steps they have already taken and thus, we are closing our review of this matter.

Per our framework, we have developed a summary report of the case which we are attaching to this email.

Thank you for raising this matter to the attention of COPE.

With best wishes,

Hutan, Ash, ahimsa and 11 others like this.
  18. Caroline Struthers

Do you have his JPP's email address? I may try writing directly to him as he has always been very reasonable when I've contacted him before about this...in around 2018!

MEMarge, alktipping, bobbler and 2 others like this.
  19. Trish

I'll ask in the committee and PM you.

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that sure is one way to handle complaints. First: ignore a complaint. Then when a further complaint is made about the initial complaint having been ignored, say that it's outside of scope because it was already handled.

Cochrane sure does have a documented and public summary of their process for complaints, the problem is that they don't actually apply it. But I guess that means that Cochrane's trustees were chosen well in that they are trusted to shut their mouths about such pesky issues as, uh, doing whatever the hell they want.

Showing once more how rules, processes, even laws, are just words and without enforcement, they matter exactly as much as sacred oaths and pinky promises.

Hutan, MEMarge, Sean and 7 others like this.