Pitching to Panorama: Efforts to commission a documentary on NICE guideline, bad science (PACE etc), and patient harm

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by InitialConditions, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan likes this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

If there's a block in UK establishment media, there are ways around that. A lot of people watch tv content from streaming services (Netflix and so on). Those services commission their own material. There have certainly been similar medical documentaries produced by these providers. A documentary could even be produced independently and then sold to one of these services.

And, maybe we don't try to take the BPS people head on, at least at first. Even something on the existence of post-infection diseases would be useful and perhaps easier to slip past BPS gate-keepers. For example, looking at the incidence of post-infection diseases across history - after big flu outbreaks, after Q fever, after SARS-CoV-1, after MERS, after Ebola, of course Long Covid. And the very well accepted consequences of infections like Guillain-Barre, rheumatic fever, polio. Maybe MS.

I think that helping people to understand that Long Covid isn't a new phenomenon would be useful in swinging public opinion towards the idea that post-infection illnesses are something to be expected and that they have physical mechanisms, even if we aren't sure what they are yet for all of them. If people know more about how common these impacts are, it gets harder to convince them that thinking better thoughts is the cure.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    shak8, Shadrach Loom, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds like hearsay to me and strikes me as highly, highly unlikely. I have been in touch with a BBC documentarian recently and if this happened, they knew nothing about it. It's also just almost impossible that journalists who made the program would sit still for this and not leak it to other journalists.

EzzieD, NelliePledge, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TV docs looks very different from stuff like Voices From The Shadows. There are production companies who do this day-in-day-out for TV and know the format and recipe. It could be an idea to pitch to some of them who have made docs on similar topics before. I don't know enough about how the process works, and whether its more usual for production companies to appproach the big broadcasters, or vice-versa.

EzzieD, obeat, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know how much the an edition of Panorama costs but there's no way department heads could justify not broadcasting a finished programme without some major public legal process or the intervention of Senior management which would itself bring publicity. What may be more plausible is that there was some provisional research done by the Panorama team and at first contact the Psychs said they wouldn't co-operate, effectively killing any hope of balance which for a medical/NHS story Panorama would likely have seen as essential.

obeat, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  6. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like this idea. Netflix has a wide audience, and people at Netflix and similar likely know someone suffering from LC if they are not suffering from it themselves. Sometimes Netflix shows generate a lot of media interest, but I guess that comes down to how attention-grabbing it is.

This is a smart way to approach the matter.

Hopefully, something like this will get people questioning what physical mechanisms are being considered in line with past well-known ones.

7. Trish

I would steer well clear of Netflix. We should remind ourselves of how they completely misrepresented people, including one with very severe ME, in this documentary:
    Netflix "Afflicted" - ME included

dratalanta, Tia, shak8 and 10 others like this.
  8. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have used this study to explain the ME/CFS and CBT issues to colleagues and why objective measures are needed.

Sly Saint, Amw66, Sean and 9 others like this.
  9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It could have been a garbled account of our aborted attempts six years ago, perhaps...

Sean, EzzieD, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.
  10. livinglighter

I was thinking in terms of what @Hutan proposed. Although, admittedly, I haven't watched "Afflicted." I was thinking something more like an informative docu-show that isn't directly focused on the lives of people with post-viral illnesses.

Hutan likes this.
  11. Hutan

I imagine these organisations are big and variable, producing and screening both quality content and rubbish. As already pointed out, it's probably largely a matter of finding the right decision-maker - probably someone with personal experience of ME/CFS or LC. Or finding a celebrity willing to help get access.

While it's good to be aware of an organisation's track record, I wouldn't write-off a media outlet just because they have produced poor content about ME/CFS in the past. It wouldn't leave us many to work with.

Sean, EzzieD, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  12. Trish

I think the only way I would trust Netflix not to screw us over, however good our proposal, would be to actually make our own film then persuade Netflix to show it, as Jen Brea's Unrest eventually did. But that had to win awards and get noticed first.

dratalanta, EndME, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  13. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Netflix screened Unrest in the UK. Which means that their algorithm would find it easy to attract viewers for an ME polemic. Basically, they will show anything - no concerns there about balance or rights of reply!

Edit - crossposted with Trish. Yes, would have to be independently made.

shak8, EndME, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  14. livinglighter

I think that's the benefit of a streaming service like Netflix as opposed to Panorama - which I do think has immense value if it can be navigated correctly.

EndME, EzzieD, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  15. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect it would be a significant challenge to find the £50k+ that even a very lo-fi, no-frills, volunteer supported documentary would cost. This would have to be a pet project of an ME organisation, rather than a few patients.

shak8, EndME, Trish and 2 others like this.
  16. Hutan

That depends on which patients. Especially if the scope was such that it was relevant to Long Covid, I think enough very wealthy people have been affected that it would be possible to find one able to fund a documentary.

EndME, Sean, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  17. Trish

There may even be documentaries being made including stuff about the wrong turning ME research took and the dominance of psychosomatic views and the way this is now impacting Long Covid research and treatment. LC organisations are certainly protesting about the NIH and others wanting to do exercise therapy trials.

Sean, rvallee, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re. NIH and a documentary. One could interview Nath or Whittemore once they have published the findings from the NIH intramural study. It would be a nice contrast to the UK research scene which, with a few exceptions like DecodeME, insists on remaining in the dark ages when it comes to ME.

(in many countries it's even worse than in the UK though)

Amw66, EndME, Sean and 6 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that a book would probably do better at this. It removes the problem of people doing whatever they want with the information, e.g. Afflicted.

Actually, more than one would be good. There is so much to cover here that no one person can give it justice. But that's already been done and didn't affect anything, the bubble of magical beliefs is too thick.

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The human angle has fallen completely flat and decision-makers ultimately care far more about money than lives, so I'd say absolutely. Estimates of the economic costs of ME are in the trillions already. It's somewhere in the $100B/y range, and that was before LC, so extend that to decades and it's a huge amount that just keeps getting bigger and bigger, it adds an element of haste to solve it.

This treatment model can genuinely be described as wasting money to lose far more money while harming people and nothing else to show for it. The latter doesn't matter too much, but the money part would play well.

Edit: The same has happened to LC, with most of the media reporting focused on individual stories. They didn't move the needle a bit. Those are irrelevant. It's the big picture that counts here, millions of people are disabled in the prime of their lives who should be working and aren't as a result of awful decisions, pseudoscience and a whole lot of fraudulent claims.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023