Poll: What is your most disabling symptom?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Yann04, May 14, 2024.

?

Poll: What is your most disabling symptom?

1. PEM (having to stay within limits to not worsen or crash)

2. Fatigue

3. Orthostatic Intolerance

4. Sensory Issues

5. Sleep Problems

6. Cognitive Impairment

7. GI-issues

8. Pain

9. Other (please tell)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This!!

AliceLily, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have picked sleep problems because it is the issue currently bothering me most. I am regularly getting no sleep at all which makes the pem easier to trigger, the OI is worse as are the cognitive issues and pain. Previously I would probably have selected pem or maybe OI.

AliceLily, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here. I lost a few £thousand a few years ago because I could no longer fill in forms to claim benefit. 'Luckily' I then received my work pensions.

Sisyphus, Ash, AliceLily and 5 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed it is all of those things. You feel that people think you are an idiot, as you just can't find your way through the fog and understand what they are saying or what you were intending to do or say.

AliceLily, Sean, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To illustrate this point, over a decade ago I was trying to get on a bus. The driver was saying things, possibly because I was having trouble with the new ticket system. I had no idea what he was saying. So he said it louder, thinking I was deaf. After a couple of tries he started enunciating very distinctly, slowing down his speech till I could follow it.

On another occasion I am sure the driver thought I was stoned.

Ash, MeSci, AliceLily and 8 others like this.
  6. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, AliceLily, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cognitive impairment probably. At least if it was only physical fatigue, I could still do online classes, do remote work, or have conversations longer than a few sentences.

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me it has always been exhaustion (fatigue). I don't have the desire to sleep through the day, but I wake up exhausted as if I had already had a busy day, and I go to bed at night even more exhausted. It has been this way now for the past 33 years.

Sisyphus, Binkie4, Ash and 11 others like this.
  9. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess at the moment it's PEM, just with a slight edge over other problems. The reason I chose PEM is because I always have to think about every little thing I do and the potential trade-off.

Cognitive issues, lack of energy are very debilitating in their own right. If it was just that I could simply lie down or skip over some stuff I couldn't comprehend at that time.

PEM just requires so much planning around. Do I go throw a ball with my nephew for a bit or is that gonna land me in bed for the next 2 days?

MeSci, Sean, NelliePledge and 7 others like this.