Predictors for Developing Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome following Infectious Mononucleosis, 2022, Jason et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Wyva, Mar 8, 2022.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have a source but I had an abnormally very enlarged gland and tonsils in quincy state for 18mnths as well as being ill and achy, once tonsils were out it was then over 6mnths before gland reduced and was still just as ill. All seemed to very much be the EBV rather than a 'change of stage' at that point. I don't know how you'd test to know it is 'live' or what it is that counts. I had an abnormal IL blood test flag at around 2yrs when I got very ill indeed from flu (which could have just been a cold in an already battered and ill body). Not sure if that means anything.

I was probably of the generation with it that was 'in-between' the different orthodoxies - lots of people saying need to take year out, medics not blinking an eye at my state so long in being due to EBV, loads of people around warning or talking of how ill it makes you. Then there being others who thought it to be a 3-4 week's off thing (which was what the level of tonisilitis I used to get regularly really was/should have been) but not anyone who saw me and actually saw me rather than their own assumptions bending their eyes.

I think Mithriel has a point, the issue seems to be if there is an incorrect writing of how long EBV can last - which wouldn't help with defining which is which. You can also have ME then get EBV and recover from the EBV but not the ME (even though that might have been affected) and sort of maybe notice the difference between the two? Lots of counfounding variations?