Psychometric properties of the Cognitive and Behavioural Responses Questionnaire (CBRQ) in adolescents with CFS, 2019, Loades, Chalder et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, May 23, 2019.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Following the underwear stealing gnomes model:
    [​IMG]

The secret is step 2 is using your imagination. Also: "it's valid because we like it".

EzzieD and Amw66 like this.
  2. rvallee

Obviously, you ask the unicorn to smoke signal the angels dancing on hairpins, then use the seer crystals to reflect onto one of those illusion paintings and if you squint hard enough you can just see the outline of the magical 8-ball that points to the proper constellation alignment that will spell the distinction very clearly.

That's just basic sciencey stuff, pay attention.

chrisb likes this.
  3. rvallee

arewenearlythereyet likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although it doesn't state evidence of validity for what, I assumed they are saying it's valid for assessing depression etc, and coyly avoiding saying it is not valid for CFS.

5. Ellie_Finesse

Ellie_Finesse Established Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...ng_patients_with_chronic_fatigue_syndrome.pdf

Ermmm am I barking up the wrong tree here, (edit but to) by the way I interpret that statement is that we are embarrassed by/fear symptoms and we then use avoidance of both work and social situations? Please tell me I read this wrong lol. It just seems unbelievable!

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
    Barry, EzzieD, Mithriel and 3 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Meanwhile evidence that CFS is perpetuated by thoughts and behaviours is yet to be produced.

The tricky part is showing that these thoughts and behaviours are not a normal or appropriate response to being ill. You have to take all the factors that are specific to ME/CFS into account. The high impact of the illness, the uncertainty and skepticism, the hopelessness, the way society views people that don't do much during the day.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    EzzieD, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One for those on NICE guidelines group to highlight.

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly this
    Fishing to reinforce an established narrative
    Compare with chronic illnesses...

Sean, alktipping, duncan and 4 others like this.
  9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if you publish enough junk/pseudo science you can cite your own works, to validate your own work. circular arguments at their worst.

MEMarge, Atle, Forestvon and 5 others like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Validated against what? They didn't ask patients whether they thought the questions made sense or whether they represented their illness experience. They didn't validate against any objective measures of functioning. Their "validity" is based on self-reference (similar bias applying to all the questions).

Barry, alktipping, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes that is what intrigued me in the first place...how you can validate Catastrophising for example ...the main problem I can see is it’s not even a word let alone something that can be measured as real ...it’s just a made up word to describe Trudies opinion of another person.

12. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The submitted version of this article can now be seen here: SLAM_Paper_6_CBRQ_Psychometric_Properties_R2_BCP_v1.3_CLEAN.pdf (bath.ac.uk)
    and the supplementary materials can be downloaded here:
    Psychometric properties of the Cognitive and Behavioural Responses Questionnaire (CBRQ) in adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome | Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy | Cambridge Core

Here is the short form of the CBRQ:
    See table S3 in the supplementary materials for how each subscale of the CBRQ correlates (or not) with measures like the Chalder Fatigue Scale and the Short Form 36 Physical Function scale. No subscale of the CBRQ correlates moderately or strongly with the Chalder scale at p<0.001.

Only one subscale of the CBRQ - the fear avoidance subscale - correlates moderately or strongly with the SF36PF - the fear avoidance subscale scale, and it correlates moderately and negatively, meaning that adolescents who report worse physical function agree more with FA1 and FA12 below and less with FA2 below (FA2 is scored in reverse):

Which looks a lot like adolescents reporting more post-exertional malaise report worse physical function.

This is from the discussion:
    Apart from fear avoidance/post-exertional malaise, none of the other subscales of these pesky beliefs we are saddled with correlate significantly with these pesky symptoms and disability we persist in reporting.

Did the whole CBT model just tumble down?

Sean, MEMarge, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  13. rvallee

Those questions are completely ridiculous. I don't think there is a level of bias above this, it's not even pretending to be serious.

Trish and Amw66 like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Feels like the prosecution's questions in a mediaeval witch trial.

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Evergreen and Sean like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Medicine by gotcha.

FA1 I am afraid that I will make my symptoms worse if I exercise

Good example of how to bias from the start. Compare and contrast with this alternative, more neutral version:

FA1 I believe that I will make my symptoms worse if I exercise

Which, in turn, is a separate question from why you hold that belief. A question studiously avoided by the BPS club.

Mithriel, rvallee and MEMarge like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Or even better:
    When I exercise my symptoms worsen. It's not a fear or a belief, it's repeated experience.

Evergreen, Mithriel, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, this seems to be the problem with all these constructs--like "catastrophizing" etc. If you assume the symptoms are "functional" then any concern is catastrophizing.

19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. What they are trying to do is portray the problem as being with our predictive mechanisms. But they have offered no robust proof that we are wrong, and given the consequences if they are wrong then the proof better be very robust indeed.

To repeat a story I have told here before: A friend of mine had persistent bowel problems, and had it all repeatedly written off as nothing important, and a psych issue. Until it was bowel cancer, diagnosed too late, and it killed them at 35 yo. This is in the Australian health system, which is supposed to be one of the best in the world.

I am guessing you all won't be surprised to learn my friend was female.

Mithriel, rvallee, Trish and 3 others like this.