1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

READ FIRST: Welcome to the MEpedia subforum!

Discussion in 'MEpedia' started by JaimeS, Aug 9, 2018.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome to the subforum on MEpedia, the place to discuss edits and page-creation on the myalgic encephalomyelitis wiki.

Goals:
    To discuss MEpedia editing and referencing, and get ideas for gaps / what's missing.

All are welcome!

Beyond that, give and receive constructive criticism gracefully and graciously and avoid personal attacks. Remember there is always a human on the other side of the computer!

MEpedia
    The basic goals of an MEpedia science article are to:
    • Inform the reader of the basics
    • Provide resources via links and citations so the reader can learn more
    Aim as close to the objective truth as possible without bias, and avoid the omission of credible sources with which you may disagree.

Don't want to chat, just ready to roll up your sleeves and go?

How to Contribute -- a general information page about how to add to MEpedia
    The Science Guidelines -- please read carefully!
    MEpedia Facebook Group -- if you prefer Facebook, or if you want some quick answers and no one is fast enough to help here, get added to the group!
    MEpedia formatting for different page types -- please use these outlines for article types

Articles that need some love:

Pages that are higher priority
    Very short articles that should be longer
    Stubs that should be expanded

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2018
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've done a few edits and have a few in mind but starting new pages was tricky, i don't get how to do the styling. The page you linked above is too complicated for me to digest so its probably best i just stick to some edits here and there.

JaimeS likes this.
  3. JaimeS

@Alvin I'm going to do an instructional video soon. :D

pteropus, mariovitali, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  4. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Alvin, Barry and Andy like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pedant in me needs a clarification :). By "discuss edits" I presume you don't just mean the mechanics of editing, but discussing potential content, and potential changes to content. I am fully behind this idea, but (being as I don't have clue how this is normally all done) am also worried it might turn into a free for all, with edits and counter edits. As well as this sub-forum, is there any kind of process/procedure applied when updating the wiki?

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Welcome to the idea behind wikipedias, where anybody can edit the text. :)

Joh, JaimeS, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  7. Alvin

Thanks for the links but its the same problem, with my cognitive dysfunction i can't digest those anymore.
    I can retrieve information i already know, i can do some logic, i can explain some things but i can't comprehend complicated articles, long articles, books or easily read flyers anymore. My math ability is also almost gone.

Binkie4, chrisb, JaimeS and 2 others like this.
  8. Barry

Is our first entry going to be on chaos theory as applied to ME?

9. Alvin

Good idea but i think we should start with the LOLcat ME/CFS bible and move on to creating the LOLcat ME/CFS diagnosis criteria.

10. JaimeS

....yes.

Barry likes this.
  11. JaimeS

HAHAHA ILU GUYS.

Barry and Alvin like this.
  12. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't know that there was a human on the other side of my computer. Does that mean he or she is watching me through the camera while I type? Why isn't he/she more helpful when I need to curse at the computer?

Anyway, from a braindead supporter, well done!

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

If I can make a suggestion to anybody reading this with sufficient brainpower and motivation - summarising what has been found in this thread, https://www.s4me.info/threads/who-w...in-support-groups-leads-to-poor-outcome.5109/, about how the "membership of a patient association leads to poorer outcomes" meme came about and putting it on MEpedia seems a great idea to me. I have put it on my personal "things to do" list, unfortunately the list is far too long and, being realistic, I probably won't get to it.

MSEsperanza, Inara, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  14. JaimeS

I was actually thinking it would make a good diagram, arranged chronologically.

Generally speaking, it would be a fabulous project for MEpedia to make a list of statistics and claims, and the references that support them. I will start a thread.

[Edit: done -- https://www.s4me.info/threads/a-masterlist-of-me-facts-the-citations-that-support-them.5315/]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  15. Barry

This sounds so much like my earliest experiences of radio (or "the wireless" as it was then). I still recall my feeling of awe at how so many people could squeeze into it, and remember being bitterly disappointed when my Dad opened it up to change a valve (remember them?), and these fascinating tiny people were nowhere to be seen :confused::).

Inara, Wonko, andypants and 2 others like this.
  16. JenB

JenB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JaimeS I'd disagree that the science pages are to convey the basics. Some of them might get *quite* technical, especially pages that aren't about broad topics (myalgic encephalomyelitis, autonomic nervous system) but rather very specific pathways, receptors, chemical compounds (eicosanoid, inflammasome, etc.). I think the key rather is that every page is as accessible as possible. The very first sentence or opening paragraph (depending on the length and nature of the page) needs to convey the basic idea of the page to a reader with an 8th or 9th grade reading level. From there, I think the page can get as technical as it needs to be (while hopefully still being as clear as we are able to be).

My hope is that discussions in this forum can be less about debating the content matter or the question of whether X is "true" (where so many conversations on forums end up leading) and focus more on how to improve the page in question by making it more complete, accurate, readable, etc.

For example, one could debate whether non-cytolytic enteroviral infections or a/the cause of ME, but that's a different question than how to improve this page: https://www.me-pedia.org/wiki/Non-cytolytic_enterovirus or what on this page is or is not accurate. Conversations about the former should probably be moved to a different sub-forum.

Put another way, whether something is accurate (i.e., it accurately reflects the source material and its quality) is a different question from whether it is true (we may not have the evidence to know).

Also, I think it's a pretty big assumption that we are all humans on the other side of the computer @JaimeS. A bit speciest, don't you think? :emoji_cat:

Inara likes this.
  17. Alvin

Perhaps, but if Commander Data offers to write MEpedia for us i'm sure we would all be overjoyed. I could also use his help on an unrelated ME/CFS piece i am working on. :D

JaimeS, Inara and Wonko like this.
  18. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Hey, @JaimeS Can I just use this thread to say I’d be v grateful to anyone who can correct the website link under my novel to go to my actual blog rather than to Judy Mikovits’ PLAGUE book/site, I have no idea who put in that link. I flagged this up a long time ago on Twitter to MEpedia, I just simply don’t know how to edit the embedded link.

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/The_State_of_Me

You can see on righthand side there is the photo of my book and at bottom the website link goes to Mikovits’ book PLAGUE.

Would be great if someone who has the necessary skills could put my blog in instead:

https://velo-gubbed-legs.blogspot.co.uk

Many thanks in anticipation, not hugely urgent but has been niggling me for a long time!

MSEsperanza, Wonko, Inara and 2 others like this.
  19. JaimeS

No, no. That's urgent.

Here's how I did it:

• I clicked Edit at the top of the page.
    • I clicked on the image. It offered me the option to edit the image. I said yes.
    • I deleted the link.
    • I made sure to hit 'save changes' at the top of the page.
    • MEpedia will always ask you if this is a minor change, and to describe the edit. I called it minor and said I'd deleted the link.

Done!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    MSEsperanza, Wonko, Inara and 3 others like this.
  20. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

You are a star, JaimeS, thank you so much, would never have occurred to me to click on the actual photo to edit, that’s why I was so puzzled. Good to have it fixed. You do provide speedy service!

MSEsperanza, Wonko, Inara and 2 others like this.