READ FIRST: Welcome to the MEpedia subforum!

Discussion in 'MEpedia' started by JaimeS, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure why you guys want historic most-viewed data out of MEPedia, but it occurs to me that as there's an access count at the footer of each Mediawiki rendered page, you could dump the pages out of Common Crawl (and Internet Archive using CDX) at different capture-time periods and use BeautifulSoup or some other library to parse the HTML and get historic per-page view counts.

Peter Trewhitt, Yann04 and forestglip like this.
  2. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the idea is since me-pedia has lots of outdated pages, and the only stats we could find was of all time most viewed, to see most viewed in recent timeframes (like past month) to see which pages should be prioritised for updating and improving

3. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do? Honestly I could and I am not remembering right now.

I do have a server and domain I set up for some projects related to a wiki I started for language learning, which I could use, but since this is such a simple script, I'll see if Github Actions would suffice.

Peter Trewhitt and Yann04 like this.
  4. forestglip

Ok, I made something: https://me.comprehensibleinputwiki.com/index.php?start_date=2024-06-01&end_date=2024-06-02

I made it so it will grab the views of all the pages once a day, and you can select any range of dates to see how many views on each page in that timespan.

Currently there's only total views grabbed from a single point (today) so I made it put fictional random smaller numbers for the view counts yesterday so you can see what the page will look like with real numbers. Tomorrow when it runs again, you'll be able to put dates between 6-2-24 and 6-3-24 and see which pages were most viewed over the day.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    daftasabrush and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. forestglip

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
  6. Yann04

Amazing! Thanks for making!
    Is it only me who doesn’t see new messages in this specific thread and has to manually input the URL? I never see it in “recent posts and threads”. I even set a notification every time there is a new message, but it doesn’t seem to work (while working on other threads I’m interested in)?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  7. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see it in "Recent posts" both on my laptop and my phone without a problem.

8. Yann04

hmmm. I made sure the thread is not ignored, I don’t know what else I can do. In this case, since you quoted my post, I did get a notification. But otherwise the thread is “invisible” for me.

9. forestglip

Maybe try toggling "Ignore thread" on then back off if you haven't already. Otherwise, I'd post about it in the Technical Support forum.

10. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's brilliant! I had no idea this was possible. It will be really useful. The HitCounters extension is no longer being updated by the developer so it is limited.

11. daftasabrush

There isn't as far as I know, but the bugs seem to be largely coming from the Timeless MediaWiki skin I think (that's the one used on wikipedia) - I was involved in some of the upgrade and skin discussions (although I am not staff). I have some issues myself with the visual editor and honestly I didn't think anyone else would be trying to edit from a mobile.
    From what I understand of it, the iphone/ipad web browsers all use the same underlying web engine (WebKit I think) but this be changing in future. I think there are less issues with Android. Sometimes I use Firefox (on iphone) for editing too. I know when ME-pedia first upgraded to the new timeless skin it got hit by various layout issues that also happened on wikipedia - things like pop-up notifications from watch list or tags appearing off the screen and issues with top bar icon layout plus the logo/word mark settings (from MediaWiki bugs). Mostly visual editor things are what I notice.
    I would be interested to know which issues are ongoing for you then we can see if it's something MEpedia developers can sort or if it's from issues with the underlying Timeless skin or MediaWiki version, in which case there might be a bug already reported.

MEpedia discussion seems to be more on the Slack group recently, which gets notifications of changes made on ME-pedia including talk pages or requests for help so there is a good place to flag up issues as @forestgrip said and linked to. There is a facebook group for editors but it's super quiet.

12. daftasabrush

Both "Pages in Need" (linked to from the side bar of the home page) and MEpedia:Suggested_tasks have priorities although so much ME research has been published/is getting published in the last 1-2 years that I personally find it hard to keep track of.

13. Yann04

Thanks for the update.

I also have made many edits from wikipedia on my iphone and had no problem.
    The main issue is things being presented on top of each other, ie.
    upload_2024-6-12_18-24-19.png

Which makes it impossible for me to add comments after an edit.

Also, is there a link to the stack group somewhere?

Peter Trewhitt and daftasabrush like this.
  14. daftasabrush

I guess check you have the watch thing set for the thread.

15. forestglip

As one example, here are the Manual Website Citation tools in both MEpedia and Wikipedia:
    Screenshot_20240612-122359.png Screenshot_20240612-122415.png
    The buttons to save and cancel at the top are hidden behind the toolbar. There's no way to click them unless I change to desktop mode.

Also, it looks like "Vector (2022)" is the default Wikipedia skin currently.

16. daftasabrush

same thing for me, I have flagged it up but I am not sure if it's caused by a bug I saw already logged by MediaWiki/wikipedia developers
    thank you for the screenshot and explanation @forestglip I will pass those on, what device and screen size are you using? We did have a choice of skins on ME-pedia but I think that's changed now.

17. daftasabrush

I get this too, but found the zoom option by the safari bottom bar helps sometimes, along with some scrolling, I have 100% zoom which is far more problematic than 85% I think. I thought it might have been caused by my custom CSS code but it must not be. Thanks for the screenshots.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Yann04 like this.
  18. daftasabrush

The Slack channel is invite only, I think you email the main MEpedia account to request adding. They need your email address I think to add you.

mepedia@meaction.net

Yann04 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. forestglip

Device is Pixel 7, which Wikipedia says is 2400 × 1080.

Yann04 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. daftasabrush

Looks like I was wrong - MEpedia says it's custom skin is based on Winter, which was the early prototype for Timeless. MediaWiki says this is all based on css and javascript so hopefully it will mean the issues can be sorted by MEpedia's developer. I wonder if some of the Timeless css bug fixes contain fixes needed.