Preprint Replicated blood-based biomarkers for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis not explicable by inactivity, 2024, Beentjes, Ponting et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Aug 28, 2024.

1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Chris Ponting, @Simon M, Sjoerd, Ava, Julia, Amanda, Nima and Gemma :party::party::party:

Some suggestions:

For the purpose of this particular paper I would suggest simply stating that more females than males have an ME/CFS diagnosis. It's not relevant here whether it's 3:1 or 5:1 or whatever
    Ref #51 only describes post-exertional fatigue, also states this gets better with exercise. Can't categorically discount PEM happening here - could be the authors gave a poor description of PEM due to their focus on fatigue, and that the study cited for the improvement with exercise is just as poor as the ME GET studies - but if there is PEM in primary biliary cholangitis this paper doesn't show it.
    For anaemia only intensive exercise is contraindicated, other exercise is still recommended. It's probably the same for the other conditions. I wonder if this section is necessary to have at all? Or if it can be made less specific? Really all that can be claimed is that some types of exercise are contraindicated in some health conditions, typically (always?) that's intensive exercise which is cautioned against, and nobody is recommending intensive exercise for ME

In fact, on reflection, much of the introduction section could be shortened significantly as it has little relevance to the study itself. IMO there's really no need for every ME study to repeat all the general background and stats (which are often poorly evidenced), instead just link to a review on all that (sorry, can't think of a good one on top of my head). All that's needed for this particular study are the bits in bold

sebaaa, Ash, hotblack and 16 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tend to agree with @Ravn about not needing a lot of background on ME/CFS, and also with @Hutan 's post (on the epidemiology thread) on sex ratio.

Just as a technical point. My main concern about internet recruitment originally was that the GWAS might pick up an allele linked to behaviour that included answering internet calls. The defence would be that we do not know of any such alleles and if they had a major influence they might have been picked up in other studies.

But we do have one genetic difference that is well known to be associated with behaviours relating to health care and that is the XX, XY difference. Rates of attending GPs and outpatients are confounded by female-related health issues in long adults, which is where differences are regularly reported. But we know that women are more likely to deliberately take up healthy diets (regardless of whether they stick to them!). My guess is that a call for volunteers for an ME/CFS study is likely, for a complicated combination of reasons, to be overweighted towards women responders by a factor of 1.5-1.7. I have no data but that means that for me the most likely interpretation of a 5:1 response is that it reflects a 3:1 prevalence.

Maybe, as Rain says, the safest thing, not to raise hares about methodology, is just not to quote a figure. It isn't relevant beyond there being a female predominance.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    MEMarge, Ash, Ariel and 11 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if that is a question, but no, no posts were moved but I did another post on that topic here:
    ME Epidemiology - prevalence, peak ages of onset and gender ratio

I totally agree with @Ravn about the Introduction and the lack of a need to get into the details of ME/CFS epidemiology. I very much agree with the suggested shorter version.

I agree that these two sentences aren't needed.
    I would like to note for future reference though, that I don't think the 2xCPET test is not in common use because it risks PEM. The clinics that offer the test specifically to people with ME/CFS in the US and in Germany don't have any shortage of participants, many of them doing it to support insurance claims. While people at the severe end of the ME/CFS spectrum won't or can't do the test, people with mild ME/CFS can and do. The sentences could be interpreted as meaning that people with ME/CFS choose not do a diagnostic test because of a bit of post-exertional malaise. Actually, I think many people with ME/CFS would walk over hot coals if it meant getting a clear diagnosis. Also, the sentences as written make it sound as though the test is reliably and unquestionably diagnostic.

I think there are three main issues resulting in the 2xCPET not being in common use in many places
    1. The uncertainty as to whether it really is diagnostic,
    2. The difficulty of finding an exercise physiology facility within a feasible travelling distance that will do the two day testing protocol
    3. The lack of awareness of the test among people with ME/CFS and exercise physiologists

Anyway, moving on from the Introduction...

Ash, Ravn, Chris Ponting and 10 others like this.
  4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can we set up a new thread on this topic? It throws up some interesting questions in the context of 'maybe things moving forward' for the future and with implementation of guideline etc, but I think I got the impression point 1. was a key issue when I last read about it.

Then I realise if it is being commonly used in some big countries then there might by now be more info on that? it would also just be interesting to get an idea how many have been/are being run these days etc. ..

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024
    Ravn, MrMagoo, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that, because Workwell carries them out privately for individuals needing evidence for insurance or pension claims, many of the results aren't published. We would probably only hear about those run as part of trials.

MEMarge, Ash, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although they might let us know what the demand is for these days?

Ravn, Kitty, MrMagoo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe, but it's possible the answer would be "That's commercially sensitive information"!

Ash, Ravn, MrMagoo and 3 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But, if it is/was commercially sensitive then that very information would itself be commercially sensitive.

Down the rabbit hole we go, again.

Ravn, MrMagoo, Trish and 2 others like this.
  9. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Statements about ME being a mainly female illness are very worrying, as this risks ME being seen as a 'women's problem' and therefore not to be taken seriously. The immediate thing that struck me, as mentioned by a few other posters, is that it may simply be that women may more actively seek help and to take part in trials, whereas it may be more of a 'guy thing' to not talk about it and not join trials. This may skew people's perceptions.

There's an account on Twitter some folks here may know of, called Royal Free 1955, that posts old news articles about ME. What strikes me in the 1980s-early 1990s articles, is how many feature male sufferers. When I got ME in 1983 I only met 3 people with ME and all were men. Now with social networking I know many men with it. Yet nowadays, news media portray it as more a women's issue. It's a disturbing shift.

MEMarge, Ash, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  10. hotblack

hotblack Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve processed the text of the paper to remove figures, references, URLs and formatting to make it better for text to speech engines and attached it to his post. I’ve also uploaded the audio to soundcloud. It’s not great quality but is hopefully easier than reading for some.

Attached Files:

rainy, MEMarge, Ken Turnbull and 17 others like this.
  11. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks like the protein with the greatest significance for men only is BCHE (adjusted p=0.0003) which is a cholinesterase - Butyrylcholinesterase.

upload_2024-8-31_17-20-32.png

Its function appears to be as a non specific cholinesterase that is structurally similar to acetylcholinesterase, but that in addition to just acetylcholine it also breaks other chain lengths acylcholines as well as certain drugs. It's produced in the liver and it's blood levels can be indicative of liver function supposedly.

Its cohen's d effect size from the raw data is 0.8, and its Total Effect is also significant in the paper. I'd be curious to see what the raw data looks like as a strip scatter plot. With cohen's d=0.8, normal distributions, and the sample sizes used here I guess it might look something like this simulation I made:

upload_2024-8-31_17-30-51.png

@Jonathan Edwards I know you had some interesting theories around acetylcholinergic neurons - do you have any thoughts on this? Given the possible link of gulf war illness to nerve agents that affect cholinesterase, and to the slight possibility that Wuest's study has picked up something with ACh nerve endings in their muscle biopsy staining, could this be interesting?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
    MEMarge, Ash, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  12. chillier

To compare some of the lipid findings to previous studies that have done lipidomics:

This thread's paper describes low levels of phosphatidylcholine, sphingolipids (types of membrane lipid) and high levels of triglycerides.

Low levels of phospholipids and sphingolipids are also seen in Che & Lipkin et al 2022, but triglyceride levels are more conflicting as there are high unsaturated but low saturated levels - this is also a female only effect:
    upload_2024-8-31_18-2-50.png

Naviaux et al 2016 replicate low phospholipids and sphingolipids - but do not report on triglycerides so it's unclear if it's not significant or not measured.
    upload_2024-8-31_18-3-31.png

Hoel et al 2021 replicate low phospholipids (PC,PE,LPC) and high triglycerides (TAG). However it reports no difference in sphingolipids (SM, CER)/ if anything slightly increased sphingolipids.
    upload_2024-8-31_18-4-1.png

Most other metabolomics studies do not measure lipid levels, though there are difference in free fatty acids in the 2 day CPET paper by Hanson's group. I'm sure there are other lipidomics papers I have missed.

EDIT: Also one of the significant proteins in the combined analysis in this thread's paper is the maybe relevant seeming 'Phosphatidylcholine-sterol acyltransferase' (adjusted p = 0.023).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
    MEMarge, Mij, ME/CFS Skeptic and 9 others like this.
  13. chillier

High leptin levels seen in this thread's paper in men, was also seen in Hoel et al 2021

upload_2024-8-31_18-5-36.png

MEMarge, Ash, ME/CFS Skeptic and 6 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

I think this is a key point. I don't think it is addressed in the paper and maybe some analysis should be made.

I am travelling but hope to get some detailed comments down for Chris and co within a week or so. I think there are some major issues to sort out in relation to confounding co-morbidities and the uncertainties around ascertainment of an ME/CFS diagnosis.

I think the identification of superoxide dismutase 3 and complement proteins may be an important finding but I suspect that many of the other findings reflect confounding factors that increase the chance of a CFS diagnosis through all sorts of routes. (They are probably the expected markers of other predisposers to persistent fatigue in this age group.) The study may turn out to be a useful dry run for DecodeME in terms of assessing the risks of selection biases. Fortunately, I think these are going to be greater in this cohort than the Decode cohort. Comparing the two may give some very useful information about essentials for recruitment methodology.

Trish, sebaaa, Ash and 18 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Fascinating.
    What more can I say!

The lipid shifts may be more than just confounding co-morbidities too, but I think these oddball findings like SOD3 and BCHE are easier places to start.

MEMarge, Ash, jaded and 15 others like this.
  16. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Germain et al 2020 reported higher sphingolipids than controls. It seems phosphatidylcholine wasn't significant.
    upload_2024-8-31_15-25-32.png

MEMarge, Ash, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So as not to take this thread too far off topic I've made a separate thread for it. Hopefully somebody there will be able to suggest some good general reviews suitable for linking to.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/how-to-write-a-good-introduction-for-an-me-cfs-paper.40017/

MEMarge, Trish, Ash and 9 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

I know very little about this sort of biochemistry but choline seems to crop up everywhere.

MEMarge, lycaena, forestglip and 5 others like this.
  19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

BCHE
    The z score for BCHE in ME/CFS men is over 5 (for women it's heading towards 2). Given the z score of 5, I'm not understanding your hypothetical scatter plot. Shouldn't the ME/CFS data points be a lot higher? I could easily be misunderstanding something there.

I'm quite keen on the idea of problems being created by toxic cholinergic substances - as seems to be the case in Gulf War Illness, and also in Ciguatera (which has a Long Ciguatera phenomenon). Here, BCHE seems to be elevated relative to the mean in controls. And it's a cholinesterase

so presumably there is plenty to break down some toxic cholinergic substances.

And it is low levels, not high levels that indicate inflammation and liver problems:
    Butyrylcholinesterase as a prognostic marker: a review of the literature
    High levels seem to be associated with high protein intake. It also seems to be higher in people with higher body weight and hyperlipidemia. There is a suggestion that BChE can be high when there is mild inflammation and metabolic syndrome.
    So, it seems a bit complicated.

This UK Biobank study suggested that there were markers of insulin resistance (elevated triglycerides-to-HDL cholesterol)
    Could the higher levels just be the result of a high protein diet and/or high triglycerides?

I think it would have been good to have some information on the BMI of participants.

MEMarge, Ravn, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  20. tuha

tuha Established Member (Voting Rights)

At least in my case it doesnt fit together.
    The first 8 years I had a mild case of ME/CFS. I couldnt do sport anymore but I tried to walk a lot to keep my condition even if I was often very exhausted.
    My cholesterol level was always perfect but I had high level of triglycerides. Also my BMI was good. My metabolic doctor was always surprised. She proposed to me to eat more vegetarian food. The more my food was vegetarian the worse my triglycerids were. Later I had stomach problems and I tried low carb diet and I was very surprised, my triglycerides vere perfect.

MEMarge, Ravn, Ash and 8 others like this.