1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Davis’s big immune study is looking at HLA genes (HLA, WTF?) Here’s the story. [Simon M blog]

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simon M, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jonas Bergquist only speaks briefly and in simplified terms about this, his talk is mostly aimed at giving an overview of current research and information about the new research center at Uppsala :

"A lot of research is also focused on the immune system, this is a selection of studies from Stanford, by Mark Davis, who works at Stanford University. The receptor system on the surface of immune cells is altered in ME/CFS patients, and this reduces the function of these cells and could also lead to erroneous signaling pathways in response to, for example, an antigen. "

MeSci, FMMM1, Trish and 3 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you very much for the translation.

Interesting --- "The receptor system on the surface of immune cells is altered in ME/CFS patients, and this reduces the function of these cells and could also lead to erroneous signaling pathways in response to, for example, an antigen."

I suppose we'll just have to wait for more detail.

alktipping, voner, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ron Davis’s big immune study is looking at HLA genes (HLA, WTF?)
    Anyone know when the data's due out?

EDIT - grant award was in the media end of June 2018 - 5 year grant---- OK some time to collate data & publish --- hopefully we'll see this in the next few months ---?

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    RedFox, Kitty, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The budget end date was 2019. Might that suggest that most of the practical work ought to have been completed by then and presumably the rest of the period was analysis and reporting? TBH, I don't really understand how research funding works.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 00.17.34.png

MeSci, FMMM1, Trish and 3 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From https://reporter.nih.gov/project-details/9577948

Project Start Date 15-June-2018
    Project End Date 31-May-2023
    Budget Start Date 15-June-2018
    Budget End Date 31-May-2019

So the projected end of the project was the end of this month, so yes, if that schedule is being kept to, then we might be able to expect the results some time after the end of this month. How long after will depend on how long it takes to write it all up, how long it takes to get a journal to accept it, get it peer reviewed, and then finally publish it.

ahimsa, RedFox, Solstice and 10 others like this.