Service based comparison of group cbt to waiting list control for cfs with regard to symptom reduction and psychological dimensions - Heald et al 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Service based comparison of group cognitive behavior therapy to waiting list control for chronic fatigue syndrome with regard to symptom reduction and positive psychological dimensions
    Heald, Adrian PhDa,*; Barber, Louise PhDb; Jones, Helen Lyon PhDb; Farman, Sanam MDc; Walther, Andreas PhDd
    September 2019 - Volume 98 - Issue 39 - p e16720
    doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000016720
    Research Article: Clinical Trial/Experimental Study

https://journals.lww.com/md-journal...ce_based_comparison_of_group_cognitive.1.aspx

seem to remember something on another thread suggesting telling jokes(?)

I have no doubt that laughter is good but this seems a very manipulative way of getting people to 'accept' a 'therapy'.

Andy, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 12 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I see the questionnaires were carefully chosen as those most easily influenced by the therapy. Nothing about physical function or ability to carry out normal tasks, or go back to work etc., no objective tests, just train them to say they are feeling more positive and less fatigued.

Bah humbug.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Standards seem to be going down.

4. large donner

large donner Guest

Have you heard the one about the Englishman, the Scotsman and the PACE study?

TiredSam, Anna H, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[my bold]

There you go then ...

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Lidia and 11 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When is waiting list a control ?
    I thought the validity of this approach had been debunked
    GIGO

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's pretty much inevitable at this point that there will be a trial of clown therapy uh?

Hopefully there is a good control that include Pennywise-type and Batman Joker-type clowns. The authors will be pleasantly surprised to find that happy clowns are the best treatment around, I'm sure. Unless they freestyle and give a try to "if you don't get better I will kill you in your sleep and eat you soul HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA" treatment. Now that would report some serious imaginary symptom reduction.

Although to be fair, we are already subjected to clown "science" so we kind of know already. There's already been the distance healing one anyway so it's hard to be more clownish anyway.

I do love how the trial aims to measure symptom reduction and does not actually ask about symptoms other than the imaginary psychomagic ones. Or actually measure anything at all. No pain reported. Don't ask don't know.

Anna H, EzzieD, ukxmrv and 11 others like this.
  8. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't really understand how people can attach their name to such nakedly bogus research.

EzzieD, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's discrimination. What about the Welshman?

EzzieD, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  10. large donner

large donner Guest

Was there one involved in the PACE study?

EzzieD, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that the one where they didn't 'GET' the joke?

Anna H, EzzieD, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  12. chrisb

That probably depends on how the words "involved" and "in" are used in the sentence. By some standards one is thought to have been quite influential in various roles.

13. large donner

large donner Guest

Now I'm intrigued. Who is it?

14. chrisb

Now you.ve got me doubting it. Doesn't Mansel Aylward count?

ukxmrv, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  15. large donner

large donner Guest

If he's Welsh and he was involved he is in my new joke.

EzzieD, Barry, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  16. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    ukxmrv, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  17. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They used a four-point fatigue scale, with terms like "more fatigue than usual" "less fatigue than usual" something like that.

Only four points for a fatigue scale is disqualifying as bona fide ME/CFS research.

Oh, and individual ICBT (carrot bullshit therapy) versus Group CBT, oh boy. Now we're saving money, or if you were in the colonies, you'd be trademarking this (bogus) therapy and charging $800 for a 2-hour seminar to other bogus psychologists.

Annamaria, rvallee, ukxmrv and 6 others like this.
  18. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the article: "Conversely, they were discouraged from excessive symptom focus. Regular time for joke telling was scheduled to further facilitate a non-adversarial atmosphere and increase acceptability of the intervention. Links between sense of humor and self-reported physical health appear to be well supported.[24] Similarly, there is a growing body of empirical data to support the popular belief that laughter benefits health."

There are real life mixed reviews on the outcomes from having a sense of humour, and its links to good physical health.

By these researchers logic, comedians should be some of the healthiest, happiest people around.

I can count three right off the bat who were not: one with MS, one with Parkinsons's and one who died of a heart attack.

EzzieD, Sean, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  19. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good one!:rofl:

Anna H, Barry and ladycatlover like this.
  20. chrisb

… and that's before you get on to the suicides.