Service based comparison of group cbt to waiting list control for cfs with regard to symptom reduction and psychological dimensions - Heald et al 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To claim the wait period before a treatment is a "control" is laughable.

EzzieD, Sean, Willow and 5 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A 2014 study:"Does comedy kill? A retrospective, longitudinal cohort, nested case-control study of humour and longevity in 53 British comedians.

CONCLUSIONS:

These data suggest that elite comedians are at increased risk of premature death compared to their less funny counterparts.
    Mental health issues and personality characteristics that help shape their comedic talent and success may well explain their reduced longevity and raises serious issues for identifying and mitigating their risk of a premature death."https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25463379 (my bolding)

Study idea: are psychiatrists and psychologists funny?

3. DokaGirl

By these researchers' standards we don't need controls anymore. We can be our own controls.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Next, we'll just need one subject per study to definitively prove whatever....

EzzieD, Simbindi, Daisy and 2 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's such a perfect cause of reversing causality too. Obviously people who are in good health are more prone to good humor. Whoever laughs much when they have the flu or food poisoning? This ridiculous belief that acute and chronic illness are completely different things is rotting people's brains, leading them down completely absurd paths in order to justify conclusions they reached without evidence.

Still, my health is crap and I even manage to crack myself up sometimes. Usually correlated to how sick I am but not strictly so. What a surprise.

EzzieD, Sean, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  5. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This orchestrated joke telling stuff makes me think of a time when I was still working, and we used to have an annual week long training event for staff. One year it was combined with two others regions

One year I arrived after a horrendously busy time, and was launched straight into the forced jollity of 'icebreakers' with a bunch of strangers.

I sat grumpily plotting the development of 'icebreakers for introverts', which would be on the lines of you lot carry on here, and I'll be in the next room...

I dare say the bps lot would have a field day with my negative thoughts because of that.

EzzieD, Sean, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oh great not only do we have to regiment all our activity and our sleeping habits now we’re only allowed to have a joke when the superior beings consider it appropriate :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

EzzieD, Sean, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An alternative ice breaker might have been: "Let me say this as politely as I can ... f*** off!"

EzzieD, Simbindi and DokaGirl like this.
  8. DokaGirl

Oh, oh! Wouldn't GCBT participants be in danger of forming their own support group?

"The horrors of it all!"

;)

Simbindi, NelliePledge and Barry like this.