Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, see my response to Lucibee - APT is a matched control for the parameter of therapist contact, but only for that parameter.

Patients may well get dragged into the debate but the 'medical not mental' divide is driven from the advocacy side. The BPS crowd deny there is a valid distinction. Early criticism of PACE in 2010 included a 400 page document that argued that PACE was bad because it was mental not medical. That isn't the reason it is bad, and it is an argument that is all too easy to pull apart.

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Freud's big "innovation" was the idea that disease could have an emotional cause. Over a century later and medicine still clings to variants of this idea. The idea has lost a lot of ground. Hardly anyone still believes that cancer is caused by repressed emotions. Instead there are modern reinterpretations that suggest it's the thinking and beliefs that cause disease (just not illness with an objective test, because then the idea could be disproved).

To me it seems that some people want us to stop pointing out how weak this idea is because their job and self esteem depends on it being valid. This is not my problem, it's theirs.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2019-3-17_18-1-27.png
    upload_2019-3-17_18-1-49.png

SUBJECTIVE (PATIENT–REPORTED) OUTCOME
    upload_2019-3-17_18-2-30.png

That's really interesting Trish.

• The clear subjective perception of massive improvement where it was actually negligible.
    • Major inflation of perceived improvement compared to actual improvement. Although I appreciate this might be often the case anyway, depending what the objective measurement is. e.g. Max FEV changes might not directly correlate too how a person's perception of their health changes.
    Not looked, but is this a properly peer reviewed study?

Have you seen any similar ones?

inox, ukxmrv, Snow Leopard and 7 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The 65 85->60 issue.

JaimeS, Sean, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  5. rvallee

JaimeS, EzzieD, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  6. rvallee

That was my point. CBT and GET are rejected not because we don't like what they imply about the disease. They're rejected because they don't work. Several people have tried things like IVIG and other stuff that don't work even though they're "biomedical". They're not rejected because of what they imply, but because experience proved otherwise. Same with Rituximab, especially how interesting the effect blinding had.

If a trial showed radiation treatment worked we would be interested in knowing more. But we don't pursue treatments based on how serious they seem, as opposed to some imagined "it's just psychology and I don't want it". The real point isn't over the psych label, it's that people naturally conclude that we're lazy because that's the only possible implication of not wanting to exercise. The emphasis is that this disease is way more serious than just "wish yourself well exercise and exercise out of some imagined rut", which is the implication most seem to believe.

If CBT and GET worked, there actually would not even have been a need to develop them since the vast majority of us tried that naturally, in most cases pretty much the first thing we tried other than severe patients. When I got sick I: 1) called my GP, 2) joined a gym and 3) was recommended psychotherapy and did just that. I doubt my experience was exceptional.

7. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He’s on the Norwegian “BPS team” along with Vogt. Other than that, completely uninteresting.

JaimeS, EzzieD and rvallee like this.
  8. rvallee

Pressure from "militant activists" is quite different from "pressure from influential researchers, government agencies and funding bodies".

No such institution would ever cave to militant activism so the suggestion itself is laughable. The opposite commonly happens, ideologues pushing their failed ideas way past their expiration date.

9. Hoopoe

What do people even mean with "mental cause"? Perhaps we understand the term differently than them.

JaimeS, rvallee and andypants like this.
  10. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apols for posting, but...
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1107318274033926145

Do you think there is any chance that SW and MS will address some of the errors in this piece of pure bile?

It repeats all of the things that they say that they do not say.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is just outright abuse in plain sight. I really do hope MS and SW refuse to distance themselves from this, because if they don't then they could well get dragged through the muck with it.

It also illustrates how S4ME needs to distance itself from the genuinely deeply abusive cr*p that has been targeted towards MS etc on twitter recently; we have to be seen to be no part of that. The innocently uninformed need to see that we are straight up in our dealings.

inox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. Hoopoe

This article is being discussed on reddit. Most people seem to be taking the side of the activists and PACE critics.

inox, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  13. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's showing as a broken link. Is it a private group?

inox likes this.
  14. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's an extra / that needs removing - then it should work

15. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Crikey I’m really encouraged by those comments on Reddit. Such a surprise to see positive discussion and people understanding the bs.

inox, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  16. rvallee

It makes all the difference who comments first. Informed people responded quickly with plenty of references, shutting down the usual angry mob of physicians who want to vent about those patients being annoying again. ASABM (or something like that) was amazing.

I'm surprised I haven't seen it pop up in /r/medicine. Boy do they hate us over there and whip a frenzy really quickly, usually just moderating out comments from anyone who may seem to be a patient so they keep it an echo chamber of #PatientsAreDickheads.

inox, Hutan, JaimeS and 7 others like this.
  17. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was on Hacker News too, comments not so good
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19377986

inox, JaimeS, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  18. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some thoughts on Michael Sharpe

*His victim story has backfired spectacularly. Patients who didn't know about his role in PACE and history of daft comments do now.

*He is most patronising with women. Carol Monaghan is even more determined to support the patient community after his "unbecoming" letter.

*He has united the patient community.

inox, Peter Trewhitt, Barry and 10 others like this.
  19. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reddit link works for me :

Code:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EverythingScience/comments/b0rw1x/

20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think part of the problem is that:

Mental illness

and

Mental cause of illness

are completely different concepts.

So whether an illness is treated as 'mental' needs to be understood in either one or other way.

Schizophrenia, punch-drunk syndrome, Alzheimer's and bipolar disorder are all mental illnesses in the sense that they produce mental disturbance. However, none of them are thought to have a 'mental cause'.

A mental cause of an illness is probably a cause that involves the occurrence of thoughts. So post traumatic stress disorder is an illness with a mental cause. Anorexia nervosa might be since there seems no doubt that abnormal thoughts about body image are involved. But then the question is what causes those abnormal thoughts.

The BPS model is a model of ME having a mental cause for continued disability. Not having ME I cannot be sure but I get the strong impression that this is just not plausible as an account of the illness.

But that does not stop ME being a mental illness in the sense of an illness that affects thinking, just as Alzheimer's affects thinking - which it obviously does. So at least part of the time I tend to think that the problem is not that this is an illness that psychiatrists should not try to help with. It is just that the psychiatrists involved at present seem to have got completely the wrong end of the stick - the cause end rather than the effect end.

But then the effect on thinking in ME bears pretty little relation to problems like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and to be honest psychiatrists are not much good at the 'brain failure' of Alzheimer's, so maybe even enlightened psychiatrists should not be involved.

Hutan, 2kidswithME, JaimeS and 15 others like this.