Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2019-3-17_22-8-2.png
    ... needs to be ...

upload_2019-3-17_22-9-17.png

Edit: Hmm, thought I'd posted a corrected link, but somehow the extra '/' creeps back in. So will have edit as above, as per @Lucibee's post.

Edit 2: Actually @Arnie Pye's post #561 is more helpful.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Knowing my wife for 30 years before her ME, and 11 years since, and of course the transition, I am absolutely certain her disability is not perpetuated by her beliefs, and never has been; quite the opposite in fact.

Peter Trewhitt, Atle, Hutan and 21 others like this.
  4. large donner

large donner Guest

We have categories for such conditions and they are known as neurological and or neurodegenerative diseases. I understand that most logical people would not conclude they had a mental cause.

But why would anyone bring the word mental into the overall category labelling aspect. It just adds to the confusion and probably allows some level of double speak damage from certain psychologists or psychiatrists who would be more than willing to capitalise on such a concept.

As I said we have names for such conditions, we don't need to support the notion of a "mental illness but not mental cause" label.

A bad case of the flu can affect ones cognition and thinking but we wouldn't call the flu a "mental illness of non mental causation".

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Somebody suggested archived versions be posted.

Here is the article in Danish:
    http://archive.is/cAA29

Here is the Google translation:
    http://archive.is/KVFJm

inox, Inara, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  6. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tend to agree with this. I'm actually not a big fan of the ME Association's "It's real. It's physical. It's ME" slogan for those very reasons:
    • We should not imply that a mental illness is in some way 'not real' (I know this is not the case but it can be misread as so by the juxtaposition of the first two sentences);
    • We should not imply that our main concern is whether this is physical or not. Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys in the brain vs. blood debate, I'd just like somebody to demonstrate a pathology so that research can then focus on that. It's too easy to write off all complaints against PACE and similarly-flawed research as being patients not wanting to accept a brain-based cause.
    The objection to trials that are based on the biopsychosocial model should never be, in and of itself, that they are underpinned by the wrong theory. It's that if said theory was actually correct, the results should have been so much more positive by now (demonstrate the patient's belief is false, get them moving, deconditioning falls away and hey presto) and much more in line with the successes of curing other phobias. And (more importantly), the testers' beliefs seem to have the unfortunate side effects of (a) not worrying about the potential for harm (how can you harm somebody suffering from little more than a false belief?) and (b) no need to worry about controlling for placebo effect, because when it comes to false belief placebo effect is a treatment in itself.

inox, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 17 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Not wanting to displease the therapist could easily explain any 'benefits' seen in PACE on its own, without having to invoke the placebo effect.

inox, Peter Trewhitt, JaimeS and 10 others like this.
  8. Sean

Special Report: Uh oh, they're onto us.

Barry, JaimeS, feeb and 4 others like this.
  9. Sean

I think the best response to this 'Special Report' is for the researchers and clinicians who are being attracted to work in the field to simply say so, and describe their interactions with patients.

That alone would destroy the central claim underlying this whole article, and expose the real story, which is that the field is not being abandoned but that emphasis is (finally) shifting from the psychosocial to the biomedical.

That will then lead neutral observers to ask why.

And that is a can of worms the psychosocial set do not want opened.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  10. Sean

Monbiot asks: Why would people who are sick attack medical researchers investigating their sickness?

I don't take that question as necessarily being in favour of one or other side. It is actually a pretty neutral straight question, the sort of question one would ask when wishing to (legitimately) draw out responses to become better informed.

Monbiot is an experienced journo, who has dived into some very contentious issues in his time. He is not new to this kind of thing, and understands how debate can be easily skewed by powerful voices. He is also aware of the history of the SMC and the person currently running it.

I think it is worth trying to point him in the right direction, to at least hear the other side of the story.

Doesn't guarantee anything, but if any journo is worth taking some time to try and inform, he is.

11. Sean

It is quite clear that he is acting in very bad faith indeed. His efforts on Twitter, including selective blocking and non-answer 'answers', over the last year or so are nothing more than desperate trolling for bullshit examples of harassment/threats.

But he got nothing serious he could use, and a whole lot of people got to see him repeatedly avoid answering the legit evidence, arguments, and questions put to him.

12. Sean

I might have said something along those lines, once or thrice.

Je ne regrette rien. :whistle:

JaimeS, rvallee, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  13. Sean

I think we are in that phase, where people with no history in the debate are paying more attention and coming to their own conclusions.

It was never going to end any other way. It was only ever a question of how long it would take.

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cringe every-time I see that slogan. It's really not good.

inox, Hutan, Barry and 8 others like this.
  15. pteropus

pteropus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

is there a way to estimate the cost of publishing these articles, in these newspapers, as if they were an advertisement, rather than favour-for-mates propaganda ?

Peter Trewhitt, andypants and chrisb like this.
  16. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lisa108, pteropus, Inara and 8 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have contacted Monbiot, but I think I may have done before without getting a response. Just as I am puzzled by journalists not being bored with the Kelland approach I am puzzled that someone does not jump at exploring the wider ramifications of the story David has so far been telling on his own from a blogspot in New York (OK with Julie and one or two others but nobody on the regular outlets like BBC or Guardian). There is a 'Long Read' article sitting waiting to be written.

18. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It has always surprised me as well. I wonder what the motivation for the journalists writing these article is. It seems strange that they would write such stories in an unquestioning and biased way - Kelland seems to have spent time on her article so its not just a rushed thing. It does make me wonder whether they are trying to spread a message of hate towards ME patients or whether they are just ultra loyal to their friends and can't see that their friends could be wrong (but then they shouldn't be writing about the subject).

There does seem to be a good story that someone could write not only about what has happened with ME research but how the power structures within the UK have allowed bad things to happen and defended them.

19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get the impression that these are sort of establishment intellectual groupies. In this case science establishment groupies. The odd thing in this case is that the 'establishment position' they are supporting has been unanimously trashed in the House of Commons in a cross party debate.

20. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the motivation is "The Science Media Centre have handed me this story and told me how to report it, which I am happy to do because; a) that's what I usually do; b) I want them to feed me more stories in future; and c) they might nominate me for an award if I do a good job."