Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Posts relating to the Radio 4 Today broadcast have been moved to this thread.

Hutan, rvallee, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1107547716995948545

"Neither article interviews any of the > 100 scientists & clinicians who rejected the #PACEtrial."

Edit: (Just checked: That's true for the Daily Mail, didn't check if it's true for the Times. The Daily Mail article however links to a video with Dr Shepherd which I think is quite good)

Ironically, the Reuters press release article itself actually quotes one of the private UK ME doctors and signatories of the open letter to the Lancet ("told Reuters", "showed Reuters"). Unfortunately, it's easy to prove that this doctor is quite popular among pwME.

Also, it's not necessarily part of a campaign that diverse media publish an article from a news agency. There are other ingredients that make it a rather satire-like campaign, many of them provided by Sharpe and SW on Twitter, but also by science journals' editors acting embarrassingly clearly in favor of PACE authors.

Edit 2:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1107547883740581888

Good question.

It all seems to me like just another act of a satiric play that began some years ago, always the same characters showing up, SMC-briefed Kate Kelland (Reuters) and Tom Fielden (BBC) being just two of them. (Fielden seems to have acted only behind the stage this time.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

for tweeters, good link

"Statement from Prof. Ian Lipkin, Director, Center for Infection & Immunity at Columbia University:

Our studies of blood, cerebrospinal fluid, saliva and feces, using state-of-the-art methods that include microbial gene sequencing, metabolomics, proteomics, and immunological profiling, confirm that patients with ME/CFS have biological abnormalities that cannot be characterized as psychosomatic."

particularly if you point out that the 'scientists' like Prof Sharpe and Trudie Chalder mainstay of research method is 'the questionnaire'.

4. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean likes this.
  5. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very weak article. First of all, none of those tweets are 'abusive' or threatening. Being rude is not a criminal offence (yet). These 'professors' just want to go back to a time when they could issue their ex cathedra pronouncements with no pushback whatsoever from the masses and no post-publication peer review. This was possible in an age where the establishment controlled all the means of communication. But the era of mass democratisation of access to information and communication is here and that toothpaste isn't going back in the tube no matter how hard the authorities try to clamp down on ordinary people... the internet always finds a way of routing around obstacles.

Then we have SW humble-bragging about being important enough to have his mail x-rayed. Given that he doesn't say he's ever received anything that would have warranted the use of those x-rays I am assuming he hasn't received anything problematic and so his narcissism and paranoia amounts to an admission of one giant waste of police time/resources.

Number of clinical trials going down or researchers moving out of a field is reported as something bad. It doesn't work that way. If you have a bunch of rent-seeking low quality researchers doing repetitive, derivative work that leads nowhere for decades, then pruning them off is a sign of progress in the field. This journalist doesn't know anything about science and should not be writing about topics that are way over their head.

Haha well put sir.

6. large donner

large donner Guest

They
    prefer hack jobs because they know where their bread is buttered. To be honest I think most people live in a repeat chamber cocoon anyway. It's actually quite easy to tell big lies.

7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's M.E. Linda, Atle, Barry and 13 others like this.
  8. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me three!

Arnie Pye likes this.
  9. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1107603968480460801

It would be a great shame if the charities feel they have to remain silent on this, so good to see some have found a way to speak out, albeit cautiously.

Personally, I'd like to see them take on MS's recent media campaign directly - but I know that's not worked out well in the past.

10. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe's framing is telling: it's entirely personal. "You can report me". Nobody cares about you, Michael.

The point he replied to is there is no mechanism to give feedback, especially report harm, to highlight problems with their quack treatments and the research has been found to be fatally flawed yet remains propped up because of political pressure and undue influence. This is a fundamental problem breaking the very premise of scientific research. Refusing the premise of flaws simply does not count as responding to them.

It has nothing to do with them personally and they can't get over that fact, they take it as personal attacks even though we don't care one bit about their personal lives and would respond identically if they were chiropractors or immunologists with a more "biomedical" model that simply did not work.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Sean and 8 others like this.
  12. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm a little bit more pessimistic than Andy and David.

I was very disappointed that the New York Times and Medscape took over the Kelland article. I wouldn't focus too much on people discussing or commenting on the article. Most viewers only read the title or one extra sentence and will get the impression that ME/CFS means controversy and that there are aggressive patient lobby groups. This might withhold young researchers from joining the field.

I'm afraid these articles will also be used to stifle any criticism from the patient community in the future. Anytime ME/CFS patients want to scrutinize a study or criticize a researcher, these articles can be used to ignore us or to stop a letter to the editor from being published. Any researcher facing criticism might point to the article in the New York and claim that the unjustified aggression he/she's facing has been part of the ME/CFS community for many years.

Finally, I think the whole controversy in the media of ME/CFS activists possibly heckling researchers and being prejudiced or irrational, might prevent newly diagnosed ME/CFS patients from advocating for this disease. It will increase the shame and stigma attached to the label.

I hope that some news media will publish a counternarrative.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Sean and 12 others like this.
  13. Stewart

I can understand why you're pessimistic - but the thing is that Sharpe and his allies are still fighting yesterday's battles. Their priority these days shouldn't be stifling the patient community - it should be neutralising the criticisms of other scientists and academics.

I will admit to a sinking feeling when I heard last night that Sharpe was going to be on the BBC this morning - I was worried that it would be a repeat of the 2011 hatchet job. As it was, I felt that Sharpe came across as very smooth - but on the only question that really mattered he was far from convincing.

"I have been driven out of the field by a small but persistent campaign by people who are opposed to scientifically-proven treatments."
    "But what about the other scientists who have identified methodological problems with your work?"
    "They are part of the anti-science campaign against me."

hinterland, feeb, Sean and 8 others like this.
  14. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is very interesting to think about. I also hope that the problems of the BPS model as a whole come to light and not only for ME. We don't want the same thing happening to the next unexplained disease, it's already happening with chronic pain.

I don't really get the discussion about whether ME is psychological or not? What does that actually mean?

If ME had a mental cause, what would it look like? Would it be fear of exercise? Off course that is the model voor CBT in the PACEtrial, but that's pretty easy to debunk in most mild and moderate patients (as most people do MORE than they can). It would be called a phobia then and you would think psychiatrist would know how to diagnose it?

Do they think we have chronic stress and are therefore ill? That also already exists and it's called a burn-out. Experts in burn-out know that when you rest and stop the stress, the symptoms actually go away. So that doesn't explain it either.

When people say a disease is psychiatric, I think of a brain disease that affects thoughts and behavior. In comparison to a brain disease that affects your body, which would be a neurologic disease.

If people say this is a psychiatric disease, do they think I have some sort of psychosis where I only think I'm ill? That can't be true, because the symptoms are in my body, not my thoughts and/or behavior.

Even if it's my brain that is making me experience illness symptoms, that would be exactly the same as in a normal flu. In a normal flu it's also my brain that is making me feel the illness symptoms.
    So isn't a brain disease, which affects your body automatically a neurological disease?

15. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True, but these articles could remain damaging to ME activism long after the whole controversy on GET/CBT and the PACE-trial.

16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't listened to it yet. But did he really say this?? That the other scientists are part of the anti-science campaign?

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes he says that the JHP volume was a campaign. He also talks of the hate 'behind these campaigns'.
    To my mind this is direct slander of myself and the other authors.

18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt, Chezboo, Andy and 2 others like this.
  19. Stewart

I should have been clearer that I was paraphrasing what he said. He was presented with a quote from the JHP that the PACE results were, at worst, manipulated to produce a positive outcome. In reply he waxed lyrical about the scientific process and then accused the JHP of publishing a campaign against his work.

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)