Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cancer-related fatigue probably.

2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Casablanca 2.jpg
    “What a terrible injustice! - - Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take
    much to see that the problems of some 17-24 million little people don't amount to
    a hill of beans in this crazy world when a couple BPS researchers' feelings are
    being hurt. Someday you'll understand that."

ETA: I didn't realize it at first, but I must have been inspired by @duncan's post.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Keebird, Mij, hinterland and 20 others like this.
  3. Paul Watton

Paul Watton Established Member (Voting Rights)

In my opinion, that is precisely what she has done.
    I gave her a lot of information to follow up on during the near hour long telephone conversation I had with her in September last year, but she has apparently made no effort to look into the kinds of published research which would contradict / undermine Sharpe's position.
    She also seemed to me to be uninterested in the importance of adhering to the scientific method when conducting research, nor bothered by the serious methodological flaws which render PACE worthless.
    https://app.box.com/s/udxzmmznsb8d2aamllzbjmba9xnn2w4m

It's M.E. Linda, sea, Hutan and 28 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent news. I look forward to donating.

5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems one tactic of those in power, in response to valid complaints is to take away all other options/solutions."You people don't want counselling and exercise, then you will get nothing - we've all closed up shop." Or, you don't like what we have on offer, well, there is nothing else. Which as it happens has been what has been said for quite some time - there are no other therapies. But, very little has been done to find any.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  6. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but I'm not sure raising that point will be helpfull - as the article focus' on 'propaganda' to silence the research patients (allegedly) just don't like, it will underline their point? That's actual a nice little tactic from them, trying to undermine the counter-argument.

If any of these researchers would go public to call out their research on the other hand, that would have an impact, I think. This is what's happening here, not until a few doctors/researchers would go out publicly, the debate started to be a bit more balanced.

andypants, JaimeS, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@inox

Not sure what you mean. Is it the PS researchers or the biomedical researchers you are noting?

inox likes this.
  8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Denmark has to have them shaking in their proverbial boots.

MEMarge, Chezboo, Simone and 12 others like this.
  9. JaimeS

Because it's "inappropriate" fatigue.

MEMarge, Simone, Andy and 2 others like this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is disgraceful journalism to give such prominence to the comments by Paul and Anton in ways which seem to suggest that they are much worse than they are. It is all reminiscent of the graphics for the Hanlon article-making words seem to say things which they did not. Do the words attributed to Paul and Anton amount to intimidation, which is what they are held out as doing? I would submit not, unless Sharpe is very easily intimidated.

One presumes that either these were the worst examples which Kelland could find-in which case there really is no story- or she was required to find named individuals and obtain responses from them, and these were the only two identified.

Strange that someone who has made his living from telling people that they have dysfunctional cognitions and maladaptive behaviour is not more robust.

MEMarge, Hutan, 2kidswithME and 12 others like this.
  11. JaimeS

Just finished editing the shared doc for #MEAction's response.

Just... add a line. Delete it. Add a line... delete it.

How do you "let people know" that it's unethical to paint an entire disabled population as a group of violent maniacs? How do you explain that to someone who doesn't know it already?

12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unger, explaining why CBT GET been removed at the CDC.... what a ruddy cop out.
    ETA.... However, as @Barry so rightly points out in post #156, we have no idea what Unger actually said to Kelland. And given the way she has treated the words of others to fit her agenda....
    So have removed my angry emoji & acknowledge my comment may be unfair.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  13. Paul Watton

Paul Watton Established Member (Voting Rights)

That's a good point, because whilst she chose to highlight one of my Tweets which was critical of Sharpe, there are dozens I've posted (before and since) in praise of M.E. researchers who go about their work in a proper manner and adhere to the scientific method.
    No mention also about the content of this document - which I put together and update about twice a year:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1097154104118390784

14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are there any precedents in history, recent or not so recent?

15. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not even I am sure what I mean :noteworthy: I think making the argument biomedical researchers don't get harassed will just underline their point, of BPS researchers getting 'harassed' because patient don't like their findings.

But I was still pondering about how to frame this article in the public debate, and I now realise that might not have been your intent. Sorry about that :) I do agree with your observation, how the article tries to twist the narrative.

DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  16. Barry

But again, we do not know if those comments were taken out of context. I'll bet they were rigorously cut an spliced like with @Paul Watton, to sound different to what was actually said.

17. JaimeS

The science is really, really poorly done, but it's like people desperately WANT to believe in it. We've spoken before about how deeply people wish to believe their health is in their own hands, but this goes to a deeper and weirder place, IMO. And the more we push, the more the True Believers seem convinced that they must be right, because you need to believe that to put yourself in a "fighting mood".

So then also they're genuinely hurting people with this. I've just gone through the Forward ME responses to GET and there were a few questions that have probed deeper and... the effects of GET are really, really grim. I mean, I knew they were grim, but GRIM. Actually, somehow, worse than I thought. I'm not trying to toss out a 'teaser', the results aren't released yet, but I'm trying to help you guys conceptualize how I'm feeling as I'm trying to tell these people that:
    • The science is genuinely bad
    • Your actions will lead to bad things for patients
    • You're telling everyone we're violent and not to be trusted
    • You're characterizing a very powerful man and his powerful friends as heroic underdogs
    • You're casting disabled people in particular as The Shadowy & Powerful Enemy
    Ok, yeah, seems like about as good an idea as that NPR pain article.

I'll reiterate that even though my blood is on fire that attacking these people (as opposed to their work) is bad news. Most people are convinced by patience and science and reasonableness, if they're to be convinced at all.

MEMarge, Chezboo, sea and 25 others like this.
  18. JaimeS

What/when is this from?

DokaGirl, Barry and Cinders66 like this.
  19. Barry

Post 152, but again, it is what has been reported, which may be very different to what was actually said. See my post 156.

ladycatlover, DokaGirl and JaimeS like this.
  20. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

Article: "Monsanto fed Reuters reporter Kate Kelland info to discredit IARC researcher"

https://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/lat...rter-kate-kelland-with-info-to-discredit-iarc