Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Knowing this was coming, I've actually done a lot of research on this and will hopefully produce that more general article I mentioned, soon.

It's very common. "Tone policing" is the official name for saying that someone can protest but must do it nicely, or what they have to say ought to be dismissed, but typically the ideal way in which to protest, according to the dominant group, is not at all. We will never be quiet and polite enough because objecting at all will never be considered acceptable. And when you are totally quiet in hopes that people will change based off of your 'good behavior' we lapse into the next term.

"Respectability politics" wherein people both inside and outside a group will attempt to appease the larger group by promoting or engaging in behavior that is seen as 'ideal' by or even that mimics that of the dominant group. The term was initially used in reference to black politics in the US, but it has since seen wider use, and several articles and papers have been written that use the term in reference to disability and/or chronic illness.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    MEMarge, ukxmrv, Simone and 13 others like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the article @JaimeS

Yes that is very true @Barry , I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions, am just so used to the CDC behaving badly I've been waiting for the 'other shoe to drop' since they made the changes.

My head is exploding & i'm feeling too emotional about it all. I'm bowing out.

LOL that wont be any loss to the thread :D

But i did want to say that eventually @dave30th will be the one getting a medal.

MEMarge, Gecko, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be good for something similarly health related. The more readily it maps onto our situation, the more readily people would gain the insights they need. And it is about gaining insights.

4. Barry

But doesn't it just show how articles like this can bypass people's sanity checks, no matter how tuned in they are.

Simone, DokaGirl, andypants and 4 others like this.
  5. JaimeS

Keebird, andypants, Inara and 2 others like this.
  6. JaimeS

Exactly. I fell for it too, for a second.

Even if you think CDC is about to sprout horns, Unger wouldn't release a video explicitly stating that ME is not a psychosomatic disorder one week and release a statement like that the next.

I'll lay bets on Kelland prompting Unger in some very specific way.

MEMarge, Hutan, Simone and 8 others like this.
  7. JemPD

Yes it certainly does, i feel a bit embarrassed by my lack of thoughtfulness there.

8. Barry

Yes, and I'll bet it's very much about the quotes that were omitted. The simplest form of bias is to omit what you don't want people to know, and then the bits you are left with - join them up out of context so their implied meaning gets screwed.

Simone, DokaGirl, andypants and 6 others like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's ridiculous that your tweet was being presented as a key example of abusive harassment, but at the same time, I do think it's a reminder that tweets like that are unlikely to be useful, and can be used to distract from the real problems with research like PACE. I've had comments of mine taken out of context and used against patients before - it is shitty. It's also a reason to keep trying to remind each other that expressions of frustration on social media can be unhelpful and are worth avoiding imo.

10. Barry

Easy done believe me. That's what these folk excel at.

Simone, DokaGirl, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  11. Barry

Good grief it's a busy night! :)

Gecko, DokaGirl, JaimeS and 3 others like this.
  12. JemPD

Wouldnt it be marvellous if Kelland really has spliced Unger's words to the point that it pisses Unger off enough for her to do something about it! :D

Just fantasising :)

Simone, DokaGirl, andypants and 6 others like this.
  13. JaimeS

I have very complicated feelings on this subject. We're all suffering and sometimes you have to let it out. I do wish people wouldn't let it out in the direction of knee-jerk anger or conspiracy theorizing, especially in the direction of Sharpe et al. -- their baseless theories basically run on tragedy and righteous anger at this point.

14. JaimeS

Oh regardless it'll be pointed out to her.

2kidswithME, Simone, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  15. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

inox likes this.
  16. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although I basically agree with @Esther12, I also think that this article clearly demonstrates that if the SMC and their friends in the media want to cast us in a negative light, they'll always find a way to do it. There's no point in anyone beating themselves up because their words have been twisted and used against them (and the rest of us) - all you can do is try and learn from the experience.

17. JaimeS

Well said :)

Simone, Skycloud, andypants and 2 others like this.
  18. Barry

https://archive.fo/qUtNn

Feels like these principles are not counting for much.

MEMarge, ukxmrv, Forbin and 9 others like this.
  19. JaimeS

Whoa, they DEFINITELY don't. Kelland has been writing for them for ages and always for some ethically shady group intent on smearing critics of their unethical practices or poor science. It's her MO and they've hosted her work for years.

Moreover, Reuters usually has a chuckle when anyone tries to correct her misinformation (see the article linked previously re: Monsanto).

I would like to see how they'd respond to criticism from the CDC itself.

MEMarge, Barry, ukxmrv and 11 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Why are we not surprised......:rolleyes:

MEMarge, ukxmrv, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.