1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Specifics of chronic fatigue syndrome coping strategies identified in a French flash survey during the COVID‐19 containment, 2021, Moncorps et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Wyva, Apr 8, 2021.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Mij I totally understand the large, confusing store thing.

alktipping, Mij, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I interpret the second part of this ...

"Ways of dealing with the overall illness cannot be separated from those of dealing with associated emotional distress. The latter is probably consubstantial with unrecognised medical diagnosis"

... to mean: Emotional distress is an inevitable outcome of a disease that the medical profession do not even recognise for what it is, with all the additional emotional stressors that will put onto anybody.

I therefore interpret the first part of the above to mean: Because anyone in the situation of ME/CFS patients cannot escape the emotional trauma that gets put upon them, then dealing with the illness cannot be fully segregated from dealing with the trauma that can accompany it.

This will be true of many illnesses, so I suspect from the above that the special case they are making here is the trauma of a patient's illness not being recognised for what it is by the medical profession. There is no doubt that is a special case of trauma all on its own, not being believed about something that is extremely important to have believed.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Article: People with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Are Less Likely to Reach Out For Support

https://www.verywellhealth.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-social-support-5179923

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2021
    Dolphin, Tia, Sing and 13 others like this.
  4. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No wonder. The other long-term health conditions that were surveyed are recognized by the French social security system as such -- they are on an official list of "affections longue durée" --, unlike ME/CFS, which is still taught as a functional somatic disorder in medical schools. This makes it almost impossible for French patients with ME/CFS to be granted disability aids, which include financial and social support.

In 2019 there was a short article in the newspaper Le Figaro about how people with a diagnosis of CFS shy away from going to the hospital for emergencies because of medical disbelief. Nothing has changed since.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It "helps" that most of us have lost all social support thanks to medically-enforced ostracization and discrimination.

6. DokaGirl

Yes. This is one of the biggest "secondary benefits" as a consequence of ME. To be shunned and abandoned by family, friends, the health care system, and governments.

Why would we reach out to those who time after time have dismissed and mistreated us?

Under the section "People with ME/CFS May Experience Trust Issues", 5th paragraph: "where there is no underlying condition to chronic fatigue", is at least somewhat inaccurate if not more so. In 2015 the National Academy of Medicine described signs and symptoms sufficient to indicate there are underlying problems. For example orthoststic intolerance. Perhaps these don't a whole condition make, but they are serious and they do affect vast numbers of pwME.

Shinygleamy, Sing, andypants and 10 others like this.
  7. Blueskytoo

Blueskytoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And in today’s episode of “No Shit, Sherlock”....

Woolie, Shinygleamy, Lisa108 and 12 others like this.
  8. DokaGirl

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

shak8, alktipping, Arnie Pye and 4 others like this.
  9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what exactly did they expect when politics and the financial industry have persistently done their utmost to promulgate disinformation for decades in order to reduce costs. the patients get used to having to fight for the very basics and have not got the resources strength to demand fairer treatment .

Sean, Arnie Pye, Sing and 4 others like this.
  10. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doctors' inability to say "We don't know", governments stupid cost-cutting in the NHS, and shunting of patients to psychologists and psychiatrists, plus the vacuole, the emptiness of support for lucid research.

Disgusting treatment of the truly sick, a measure of how civilized a culture is. NOT.

rvallee, Sean, Sing and 5 others like this.
  11. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, gaslighting and quite a bit of abandonment have been my experience too. But I've also had a lack of energy and initiative. The hurdle that is the communication gap has seemed greater too with mostly just zoom, email or phone to cross it. More deeply, there is a bridge between very different worlds that is needed, but both sides must be willing to venture it.

shak8, Arnie Pye and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just read the article linked in post #1. I'm afraid quite a lot of it made my skin crawl.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.