1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stamina levels before ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Cinders66, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A comment of mine from 2008 on this subject:

https://pubpeer.com/publications/FF00A8557ACE2BE7D3A9D383189CD8

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You have some work ethic, both before and after ME. I hope your wife and family appreciate you (no need to reply on that).

MEMarge, Hutan, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Almost limitless. I always had pretty bad sleeping problems that lead to sleeping very late in my teenage years but whenever awake I used to have unlimited energy reserves and was more of a night owl so it may mostly be a lopsided sleep cycle.

For me it's the most annoying part of the CBT/GET paradigm. I never needed a coach or motivator or whatever to do stuff. I never needed someone to tell me when to stop either. I like doing stuff, lots of stuff, as much stuff as possible. Which includes relaxing so it's not like I ever overdid it. I just need variety and always had the energy for more.

The drive is still all there, but energy levels are 1-5% of what they used to be.

4. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Cinders66 I did have two jobs (full-time + part-time) off and on over the years before ME hit. I found I could only do it for awhile. I would get lots of colds close together and that was always a sign to me I was getting run down and had to give the second job away.

5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've always need a lot of down time, so a doctor's call schedule - or even just medical school - would have been unsustainable.

In college I was highly motivated and had an earned reputation for a solid academic work ethic. I also lifted weights religiously - and none of those sissy machines! - Chalky, sweaty barbells loaded heavy for squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk, etc.! On the flip side, I went to bed at 10pm, sleeping 9-11 hours/night. I never drank, did any drugs, or 'partied' (loud noises, tons of people, no thanks. And too many girls swarming me - sooo annoying!). I got work/studying done early so I could chill as much as possible in the evenings. On Friday and Saturday nights I typically sat alone in the library basement doing nothing and zoning out completely. I needed all of this recovery/down time to avoid physical and emotional burnout. Having written this, I think I was born to be a monk.

So I've pushed as hard as I could in a youthful, healthy state and I can say that I could never have stood up to what some here have described as previously just an ordinary day.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Pen2 and 11 others like this.
  6. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think I ever had superior cognitive stamina. I would often need to take power naps while reading during law school and would have bad lulls in the afternoons when working as a lawyer. On the flip side, my physical stamina was always very strong. I keeping thinking, "I do not have the natural disposition for this disease!" Joking aside, I truly miss athletics...I love the push and a feeling of accomplishment. It's horribly ironic that I now have a disease characterized by some as exercise avoidance behavior. I designed my life around athletics, no matter what job I had.

MEMarge, Mij, ladycatlover and 13 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Easily. Endurance was my strong point.

I did 50 km bike rides as a child.

8. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not even theoretical on my part. As a software engineer there were definitely periods when I worked 12 hour shifts for many months in a row. Plus extra time on the weekend.

I'm not recommending this kind of work schedule! I had a terrible work/life balance in my early twenties. But I did work a lot of hours in my early 20s.

I also had days where I'd work a more normal 8-9 hours, drive an hour to the Columbia River Gorge, hike with friends for 2+ hours on a trail loop that was about 5.5 miles with loads of elevation gain (forgot numbers), drive an hour to get home, and eat dinner at 9:30 or so. Then I'd get up the next day at 6:30 for another work day. No problem.

I had loads of energy and stamina in my early twenties. I got sick at age 29 in Jan 1990 after some kind of viral illness in Dec. 1989.

9. ahimsa

Oh my goodness. (trying to keep my language clean)

Sheesh! When I first got ill I had trouble walking across the room. I am still unable to stand long enough to take a shower due orthostatic intolerance. If I just had a level of "fitness" that would match your average couch potato (work at a desk job, be able to buy groceries or take a shower without it being a HUGE energy drain), then I'd be happy.

This is very different from having fitness expectations that are too high.

10. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whoa!

I may have been fit, but I remember doing an 8-mile bike ride as a kid (13-km) and being pretty darned winded! Sore the next day, too.

Some of you guys were super-athletes!

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Pen2 and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I was fit and active, played social squash and volleyball 3-4 times a week (had access to free courts). My main transport was a pushbike, 5-10km rides were common and no problem at all. Where I live has a very good bike path network, and I used to do a long ride most weekends just for pleasure. Resting heart rate was around 60. Sleeping like a baby. Worked full time and studied part-time as well. Used to do volunteer work for the Red Cross one evening a week. Etc.

Clearly no problem with stamina before getting sick.

13. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was working full time with frequent overtime, walked everywhere (e.g. 1 hour to work each way - people thought I was mad), went swimming every day and trained for a 5km charity run.... I gave myself a goal of running it in twice the world record time but soon found (after about 4 weeks training) that it was too easy so I aimed for 1.5x the world record time. Went country walking every weekend (around 20km - which astonished my friends who couldn't fathom walking that far), some long distance hikes too. Normal running of the household and hobbies on top of that.

Then one day, I suddenly couldn't run (in the gym) and kept on collapsing after 2 minutes. The gym running machines showed my heart rate approaching 200. I thought there was something wrong with the machines (yes, all of them) and carried on pushing myself until I collapsed even after walking a few meters. Then lied down on the pavement before carrying on walking, walking a few hundred meters in half an hour or so - people probably though I was drunk, lying on the floor. To get to this state took about 10 months.

One day, before I had any noticeable symptoms, I collapsed inside a pool during a water aerobic class (my favourite) and had to be carried out and lied by the side of the pool for ages until I could move again.

I was at an age when it was starting to show who looks after their bodies - I was healthier than my peers who drank to excess/smoked/ate junk food.

My motivation and perseverance were to my detriment, looking back now. Doctors were just useless, lecturing me about motivation and lack of self-esteem, and not running any tests and asking about my so-called 'adverse' childhood. I realised I had ME long before doctors did... or rather my friends/co-workers did because they have seen what was happening to me to be the same they have seen in others (their friends/family). They warned me not to push myself so that I don't become more ill. As a previously completely healthy person, I thought that meant maybe cutting down on my gym/running sessions. I ended up bedbound for more than a decade.

(edited: missing word)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  14. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just remembered some somethings re my preME fitness activity levels. I used to walk, run and cycle everywhere. In my childhood/teens walking 10 miles a day was not unusual, doubling it was uncommon but did happen with no issues. When I was 18 I got a placement with IBM and lived approximately 5 miles away, I cycled to and from work and came back for lunch every day, within my lunch hour.

The bit that triggered this memory was that some nights I used to cycle down the Winchester to Southampton road to get fish and chips for tea. This is a road with a number of significant hills, and although I didn't realise it at the time, about 10 years later, whilst on holiday, I had a motorcycle and measured the distance, it was 12-13 miles, which I had done both with no real effort and fast enough so my tea was still hot when I got back. Most weekends I would cycle somewhere of passing interest, an example being Stonehenge, just for something to do.

ETA - Holy $%^& - I just asked google how far it is from Otterbourne (where I was staying when on placement to IBM) to stonehenge, it says just under 40 miles (depending on route), I knew it took quite a while but I had no idea it was that far, maybe the roads were different, and shorter, 30 odd years ago. I went there and back on an old raleigh 3 gear bike in the same day, on at least 2 occasions.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  15. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks everyone.

It seems I was especially weak. Perhaps that's why I succumbed as a teen , most people commenting got sick well into adult life.

However playing sport and being active I think is different to the demands of a junior dr. The program I watched had a dr booked as a surgeon and consultant for twelve hours. Near the end of her shift she had to attend an emergency to learn a procedure, she went into overtime stitching up a mans face on about hour 13 , off to do paperwork then a few hours kip and back the next day with a smile. I find that staggering. But maybe I was always fatally weak , I wish I'd ever known that degree of vitality tbh.

I could happily play sport or hike all day so I didn't feel weak but clearly I regard as super human what others regard as normal. I simply could not have sustained the above happily but I Also do think a lot of jobs, e.g. some Teaching, 5 hours class room, 5 hours prep aren't at that stress /demand level of JD for comparing. I was contemplating teaching as a career and the hours/ demands felt doable.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Pen2 and 9 others like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thread likely has some selection bias, but it nonetheless shows that some of us had above average endurance or motivation.

17. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I worked on a hospital switchboard for 3 years, and felt really bad about disturbing junior doctors when they were trying to sleep, to tell them about a patient having a heart attack, for example. I knew all too well the stress they were under.

They used to come into the switchroom to change their bleeps, and often chatted to us then. (It was the 80s - things are probably very different now.)

They often succumbed to drink, drugs, etc., just to survive the punishing regime. A lot of errors were made - predictably - despite their best efforts.

And still it goes on. I find it incredible and outrageous.

I doubt if you were especially weak, by the way.

18. ahimsa

I don't think you are necessarily weak just because you thought a doctor's training schedule was too grueling. I would never want to do that type of schedule, either!

But some folks might be energized by that type of environment and enjoy the adrenaline rush. Different careers draw different types of people.

I thought you were just commenting on the general idea of working 12-hour shifts so that's how I answered. The stress and mental pressure (responsibility) of a medical resident is quite different from the stress of my old job even if sometimes I worked those kind of hours.

Also, I don't think getting ME as a teen says anything about how weak or strong you were before. At least, I've never seen any data on that.

19. Pen2

Pen2 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an interesting blog everyone has a different past in such different ways before ME. Thanks @Cinders66 .

I worked 12hr shifts for 22years but not without extreme struggle. I didn't understand my difficulty was ME of course.

Through college (late in life age 26-34)I had to work so hard to get through...than start the 12 hr shifts, part of the job.

My story (not to sound pathetic, just truth). I had to survive alot of abuse as I grew up. At first I survived by riding my bike walking miles and miles. I played softball and basketball.

Then as things got worse, it was drugs and alcohol abuse that was my escape. From 12 yrs old until my first kid at 23.

After 8yrs of working 12 hr shifts I had (didn't know what it was then) my first severe ME episode. Went through a million tests, one doc diagnosed me with CFS and sent me on my way. My primary diagnosed me with depression started antidepressants and he sent me on my way.

I went back to working 12hr shifts, got warnings for too many absences, got fired for too many absences, finally 22years later my PR diagnosed me with ME.

So even though I put myself down for being a wimp for all those years..... I now know I couldn't do 12hr shifts, in fact I finally couldn't handle working at all.

I don't know if it was the long shifts that caused my first ME crash or not. I know that trauma can be an ME trigger and I had plenty of that too. Plus the drugs and alcohol I did. I also had a GI infection when I was 20ish.

Tough to know. I think my energy level was like your average person until I started the long shifts. My energy. Went way down after that first 8yrs.

Sorry so long everbody...geez. :slugish: :sneaky::whistle:

20. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to leave for work at 06am, come back between 6-7 pm, eat, go train for 1 hour, come back and continue. I had 2 kids and had separated from their father, so did everything on my own. I would do bike training on the week-ends and sometimes work 10hoirs or more. For a few years I went to university on top. I had a house to take care of. And 2 dogs.

I had a very high level of stress at work, and lots of responsibilities. I had to answer calls and emails even after leaving the job.

I was okay until I got my first viral infection that led to ME. Then I started going downhill.