1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stamina levels before ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Cinders66, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Pen2

Pen2 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dechi, I know how hard it was for you raising kids alone, working, school....etc. I too did the same.

Did anyone else blame themselves? Ask why can so many people do this and I feel like I can't....I must be lazy. No self esteem....blame ourselves because we new nothing about ME. :oops::bag:

2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whoooboy. Especially with slow onset cases, I feel like the likelihood is high. I remember thinking I had a serious problem with procrastination, and beat myself up about it often.

I'd think that I didn't have the energy/focus to do X or Y... better wait until I felt better to start... but you rarely feel better. That can feel like procrastination, like just not having the 'motivation'. I think the difference is very subtle and it's taken me 3+ years since moderate-ME onset before I could honestly tell the difference between 'don't feel like it right now' and 'headed for a crash'. I think a lot of the same neurological signals may be involved.

3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fwiw, I grew up on a farm, so lots and lots of physical labour...or as I called it: child slavery. Endurance was never a problem.

As an adult I got into triathlon (after a very successful career of partying) and that meant loads of swim, bike, run and weight training - and the triathlon culture was all about pushing limits and embracing pain as a world champ said:

You don’t play triathlon. You play soccer; it’s fun. You play baseball. Triathlon is work that can leave you crumpled in a heap, puking by the roadside. It’s the physical brutality of climbing Mount Everest without the great view from the top of the world. What kind of person keeps coming back for more of that?

Crawl if you have to get to the finish, as did Julie Moss, who inspired millions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVKqFAPdjIA

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    MEMarge, BurnA, Pen2 and 6 others like this.
  4. ArtStu

ArtStu Established Member (Voting Rights)

I did 12 hour shifts in a physical on your feet all day job before I got ill, I used to do 7 a week some weeks, walked to and from work too, no problem

5. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I admire you if you did it alone. We had split custody, so they were with me 1 week out of 2. And I was lucky enough that when I couldn’t function anymore, my kids were almost adults.

I can’t imagine how hard it must be with young children.

MEMarge, Pen2, JaimeS and 7 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was in my early 20's and had a lot of stamina at the time of onset. I would ride my bike for an hour or two several times a week for exercise and would come home with my shirt soaked in sweat. I had to cut that back when I got a job that routinely required 12+ hour days. I did have some kind of OI as a teenager. My vision would frequently black/grey out for a few moments upon standing. It was hard to predict when this would happen, but seemed less likely for a while after a meal. Maybe it was a blood volume thing and drinking fluids provided short-term protection from it.

Although I could keep up moderately intense exercise from prolonged periods, I would quickly wind up gasping for air in any kind of "race." At full throttle, I quickly developed what I've come to realize was probably "exercise-induced asthma/broncoconstriction." I have no idea if that could have factored into the later development of ME.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That video has just inspired me to stay on my sofa.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's an OI symptom? As it used to happen to me when I was more active/more upright - I was never able to get anyone to believe me that it happened.

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Before M.E I had excessive energy and made other people tired.

10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Should say that despite leading an active life pre-ME, I was always one of those who needs their sleep. I never did well without a good 8 hours every night even at my physical peak. Two late nights in a row and I felt it.

WillowJ, MEMarge, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  11. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had this too, I remember going to the doctor's about it and I hardly ever went to the doctor's so it was severe enough that it felt significant, it didn't affect my life at all though.

I remember getting extremely tired as a teenager but then that's quite common I think so hard to know whether related or not. I rarely got ill and never had any of the other ME symptoms. I thought of myself as healthy but tired. I worked hard, was always busy and I still did exercise. I was never particularly good at sport - I thought it was just because I 'wasn't sporty' but in retrospect I think I may have had lower energy levels than some.

Onset was gradual for me from age about 20. (I think... although could have been earlier or even later, hard to tell). For me it was a few years of extreme tiredness but I didn't really class that as ill, just unbelievably tired. Then PEM started (I can only see that retrospectively, I didn't know that's what was happening at the time). Then after a year or two of that the other symptoms - flueyness, PEM etc. - came on.

It seems to me, just from observing, that the ones who get it almost over-night from a virus or something similar have often been very active and 'normal' before. Those who have gradual onset have maybe had ongoing smaller issues for a long time. Not sure if that's accurate or not?

Pechius, Forbin, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  12. Pen2

Me too!!! :dead:

Little Bluestem and TiredSam like this.
  13. Pen2

Surprise surprise....right?

JaimeS and Wonko like this.
  14. Pen2

Wish me luck, I have to go to the store....:confused: I'm out of water and bread! I need that stamina I don't have right now...:nailbiting: :oops:

Talk soon.
    :hug::hug:

15. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I remember describing that as a child and having people wave me off. OI is for sure a lifelong thing for me, though when I was a kid it was easier to deal with.

Pen2, Forbin, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  16. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I worked 12+ hours/day for several months at 3 different jobs pre-ME. One was 5 days/week. Two were 6 days/week. The jobs were not as mentally challenging as medicine. No one's well-being or life was in danger if I made a mistake. (Well I was handling sometimes dangerous chemicals at one job, but the primary person at risk was me.)

I do not think medical students are super-human. I think the hours they work are stupid and dangerous. I would never want one to touch me.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  17. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The low BMI connection to CFS reminds me that I was very thin as a child, even though my height was normal. My older brother was never anywhere near as thin as I was. The pediatrician assured my mother than I would put on weight eventually, and I did do so during my teenage years. I was of an appropriate weight when I got ME/CFS a decade later. Still, I occasionally have wondered if being "skeletal" as a child was some kind of predisposition for my teenage "OI" symptoms and possibly for ME later. As I've said before, ME often seems like a crime with too many suspects.

ETA: Actually I posted the wrong quote above. I meant to post the prior quote from the same paragraph (see below), which suggests increased exercise levels and low BMI in childhood increased the likelihood of CFS. I'm wondering if lower BMI in childhood might be an indicator of some metabolic predisposition to CFS later.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  18. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think I was thin as a child, and a lot of people here have problems with excess weight. I was overweight at one point during the illness, and lost it when I went low-GI (glycaemic index).

JaimeS likes this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

obviously I see the issue with people with very severe ME and low BMI due to difficulty taking in nutrients
    I dont fit with low BMI I am at the other end of the spectrum and there are a few of us on the thread about how to lose weight in similar boat, probably not as fat as me though
    People I speak to elsewhere especially us middle aged women struggle with weight, and quite a bit of discussion about how amitryptiline makes people put weight on.
    is this a distinguishing feature between those who have onset as teenagers and us oldies??

JaimeS likes this.
  20. Aurator

Aurator Established Member

What? All patients? I'd say almost none of us do. That's one of the core reasons our torment is as great as it is.

In my own case when I was well I competed in cycling time trials almost every week during the summer. After completing every race of 10, 25 miles etc. I was given a time and a position relative to other competitors. Contrary to the claim made by McBride and McCluskey I knew with incontestable exactitude how fit I was and how fit I was in relation to everyone else I was competing against. For the record I had a resting heart rate of 38 bpm, a maximum of 196, could sustain 170-180 bpm for around an hour without "blowing", and generally finished in the top quarter of the field, the field typically containing a sprinkling of top amateurs and even professional cyclists occasionally. To get even moderately good like this I had to do a hell of a lot of training besides the racing. Now, in my ill state, I consider myself lucky if I can trundle to the local park and back.

"Exaggerated perceptions" indeed. Rash claims like this by opinionated morons who've probably never been athletes themselves and certainly never had ME make my blood boil. If they're still around, what have McBride and McCluskey to say when faced with evidence like mine? "Sorry" would be a start.