1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Sweden: The role of low-grade inflammation [...] in ME/CFS, Andreasson et al - recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by mango, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Andreasson lab
    https://www.su.se/english/research/...esearch-group-members,research-group-projects

Fatigue cohort: A longitudinal study of persistent complicated fatigue
    https://www.su.se/english/research/...?open-collapse-boxes=research-project-members

Anna H, Lindberg, mango and 2 others like this.
  2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This study apparently got 3 of the 50 million SEK Vetenskapsrådet/The Swedish Research Council handed out for postcovid research in 2021.

(VR received 56 applications in total. 14 were approved.)

https://www.vr.se/english/just-now/...sek-to-research-into-post-covid-syndrome.html

In Swedish:

50 miljoner till forskning om postcovid
    https://www.vr.se/aktuellt/nyheter/...-50-miljoner-till-forskning-om-postcovid.html

https://www.vr.se/download/18.61ae4c9917ce9a92048b7f2/1637048995606/Beviljade_bidrag_Postcovid 2021.xlsx

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Anna H, Trish, Lindberg and 1 other person like this.
  3. mango

Mainstream article about tiredness and fatigue, with Anna Andreasson. The study is mentioned.

Trött hela tiden? 9 möjliga orsaker
    https://www.expressen.se/halsoliv/halsa/sjukdomar--besvar-1/trott-hela-tiden-9-mojliga-orsaker/

Google Translate, English ("Tired all the time? 9 possible causes")

4. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the latest version of the research protocol there's a mentioning of a 'sister-studie' being planned in Region Östergötland. It will have a separate ethics application.
    I contacted Anna-Karin Norlin, the lead researcher for the upcoming 'sister-study', and asked if an ethics approval had been made. Her response came today :

Lilas, mango, Trish and 3 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: A Longitudinal Study on Longstanding Complicated Fatigue: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), Burnout Syndrome and Post-covid Fatigue

Brief Summary:
    The purpose of the study is to investigate if there are common biopsychosocial vulnerability factors for developing and maintaining fatigue, regardless of the diagnosis. The investigators also believe that subgroups differ in terms of these factors. Participating patients with ME/CFS, burnout syndrome and post-covid fatigue complete a web form at inclusion and after 1, 2, 4, 6, 12, 18 and 24 months. There is no upper limit for the number of participants in the web survey. 150 participants are asked to submit blood samples at a local laboratory in connection with the questionnaires for analysis of inflammatory markers and one urine sample for analysis of nutritional markers. Two control groups are included, 150 patients with rheumatoid arthritis and 50 healthy individuals. The longitudinal design makes it possible to investigate how inflammatory markers, nutritional status, symptom burden, health related quality of life co-vary over time and how work ability and sick leave is affected.

Detailed Description:
    Fatigue is associated with impaired health and severely impaired quality of life and function and there is a need to explore similarities and differences regarding biopsychosocial vulnerability and maintenance factors and consequences in terms of work ability and sick leave in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME / CFS), burnout syndrome (BS) and post-covid fatigue to be able to improve individualized interventions for patient with persistent fatigue. The study examines inflammatory markers, nutritional status, symptom burden, neuropsychiatric conditions, work ability, and sick leave in a longitudinal cohort study over 2 years in patients with different diagnoses who all suffer from persistent fatigue. The hypothesis is that there are common biopsychosocial vulnerability factors for developing and maintaining fatigue, regardless of the diagnosis. The investigators also believe that subgroups can be identified that differ in terms of these factors. The longitudinal design makes it possible to investigate how inflammatory markers, nutritional status, symptom burden, health related quality of life co-vary over time and how work ability and sick leave is affected.

In this study participating patients with ME/CFS, BS and post-covid fatigue complete a web form at inclusion and after 1, 2, 4, 6, 12, 18 and 24 months.

Adult patients registered with a diagnosis of chronic complicated fatigue (ME/CFS or post-covid syndrome) in Take Care (medical record system in Stockholm County, Sweden) or with burnout syndrome from Stressmottagningen Stockholm, will be asked to participate in the study.

• Patients with ME/CFS will be recruited at the Department of Behavior Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Solna or reached by advertising on social media
    • Patients with Post-covid-syndrome will be recruited at Karolinska University Hospital or reached by advertising on social media
    • Patients with burnout syndrome will be recruited at Stressmottagningen Stockholm
    At baseline, a clinical assessment is performed at the clinic and the patient is asked to leave a venous blood sample and complete a questionnaire. The patients are asked for further blood samples and questionnaires at 1, 2, 4, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months after baseline. 150 participants, 50 in each diagnostic group, are asked to submit blood samples for biobanking at a local laboratory in connection to the questionnaire time points for analysis of inflammatory markers. C-reactive protein (CRP) is analysed at the time of blood samples. They are also asked to give one urine sample for analysis of nutritional markers and to submit a 3-day diet diary for evaluation of dietary intake by a registered dietitian. Participants that only fill out the web-based questionnaire will be included. There is no upper limit for the number of participants in the web survey.

A pilot study with 20 participants with ME/CFS started in 2018 to test and revise the design of the present study. These subjects will be counted in the group of 50 participants with ME/CFS diagnosis when available data allow.

In addition to the participants with persistent fatigue, two control groups are included in the study. 150 patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) recruited from the Karolinska University Hospital Rheumatology department and 50 healthy controls. The RA controls fill out the illness generic questionnaires on paper and disease information is taken from the national registry for rheumatic disease and CRP and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) data is taken from the medical record. The healthy controls follow the same procedure as the patients with persistent fatigue but only fill out the form and give blood samples at one time point.

Research questions:

• Are there differences in patient reported fatigue dimensions, symptom burden including post exertional malaise, sleep disorders, health related quality of life, or inflammatory markers, nutritional markers and dietary intake, between patients with ME/CFS, BS and post-covid fatigue, patients with RA and healthy controls?
    • Are inflammatory markers and nutritional status associated with the development/recovery of fatigue and symptom burden in ME/CFS, BS and post-covid fatigue?
    • Can different subtypes of patients be identified based on latent factor analysis including fatigue dimensions, symptom profile, neuropsychiatric symptoms, inflammatory markers and nutritional status?
    • How does inflammatory markers, nutritional status, symptom burden and health related quality of life influence work ability and sick leave in patients with persistent fatigue over time?
    The project group consists of a multidisciplinary team from Stockholm and Linköping universities as well as clinically active at clinics in the two regions who often meet patients with persistent fatigue.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04955587

Snow Leopard, mango and MSEsperanza like this.
  6. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More pointless waste. How can they even pretend to study generic fatigue, let alone the crippling exhaustion of ME, when they have such a misleading understanding of it? Everything about this and the people involved stink. I don't care that they are wasting their time but they are misusing resources that could be useful and instead are wasted on more ideological junk.

The amount of performative nonsense in medical research is infuriating. It serves absolutely no purpose and offers no benefits whatsoever, especially the 100th or so nearly identical "just exploring" wishy-washy stuff.

8. mango

Anna Andreasson took part in the BPS oriented ME seminar in Oslo in October 2022, according to this tweet:

Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  9. mango

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. mango

Forskare vill hitta orsakerna till långvarig trötthet
    https://www.su.se/psykologiska-inst...ta-orsakerna-till-långvarig-trötthet-1.711394

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not aware of any such thing, and my impression is that the very same things are being pushed. Although to be fair, it's probably accurate to say that it's 2 decades behind, it's also 2 decades ahead, since neither field have changed from the old failed psychological rehabilitation paradigm. 40 years and no substantial change will do that.

If we look at the primary chronic pain NICE guideline, it's actually worse than the ME guideline, but not by much, and the field of pain medicine is filled to the brim with the same pseudoscience and obsession with exercising curing everything.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.